Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do 'A New Tattoo You'
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 30, 2009 22:41

Just been thinking and I reckon a cracking idea for the new album would be to take some of the recent ideas and throw them together to cherry pick and record for a new LP.

It worked wonderfully before, why not again.

Personally I think I'd rather hear something like this, rather than a release of old outtakes,

Re: Do 'A New Tattoo You'
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: January 30, 2009 22:51

Don't ever repeat yourself!
And the Stones never will!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: January 30, 2009 23:13

There will never be new tattoo you.Period.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 30, 2009 23:29

Marko or anyone,

I have a comment and question concerning TY. (not a muscian).... Why does this album sound more crisp and clear than other albums produced afterwards? The mixing is clean and elevates the music.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 30, 2009 23:59

I remember interviews from around the time of the 40 Licks release (2002) that stated that they had recorded more new material that was useable than what went onto the actual album. Reportedly, that material didn't make its way onto ABB either.

So if they wanted to go the Tattoo You route, I guess they could start by working on that material, maybe write some new stuff, too. I'd love to hear the outcome of that.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: January 31, 2009 00:01

Let's Start It Up Again.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: January 31, 2009 00:05

thanks goes to chris kimsey,most important person after Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2009 00:22

Marko's right. They should have kept Kimsey instead of carrying Don "yes Mick" Was like a burden.
Even Dylan (who doesn't care much about production) quickly got rid of him after ONE album in 1990...

Hopefully The Stones WILL work with the single guy they should team up with : Rick "I can give any artist a creative rebirth" RUBIN!
(but I'm not holding my breath)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 31, 2009 10:53

Certainly there is enough material for a couple of outtakes albums like TY. But then certainly, maybe, they wouldn't be as good either. Double edged sword. Think about what they recorded and finished for Licks - with exception to Losing My Touch - YIKES. I like Don't Stop but it's not...GOOD.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 31, 2009 12:09

I'm hoping for a collaboration with Yoko Ono.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 31, 2009 14:09

marko
thanks goes to chris kimsey,most important person after Jimmy Miller.

If we're talking 'Tattoo You' the main kudos go to Bob Clearmountain.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 31, 2009 14:40

Fan Since 1964
Don't ever repeat yourself!
And the Stones never will!

uhm? 1989-2007 that's really repeating yourself.
Give the tour another name and play the same 15 songs every tour, with maybe 2-3 new ones!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2009 15:07

"If we're talking 'Tattoo You' the main kudos go to Bob Clearmountain.

No he was only here at the mixing stage : he's guilty of giving the tapes this horrible FM-ish sound that makes this wonderful album a bit dated soundwise.
I much prefer the raw sound of "Some Girls" (thank you Chris!)

Date: January 31, 2009 16:27

dcba

No he was only here at the mixing stage : he's guilty of giving the tapes this horrible FM-ish sound that makes this wonderful album a bit dated soundwise.

Good posting

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 31, 2009 16:39

skipstone
Certainly there is enough material for a couple of outtakes albums like TY. But then certainly, maybe, they wouldn't be as good either. Double edged sword. Think about what they recorded and finished for Licks - with exception to Losing My Touch - YIKES. I like Don't Stop but it's not...GOOD.

good point...if the four tracks released on 40 Licks are considered the best ones of the whole stuff they recorded back then, I would not want to listen to the leftovers...
then again, the last time they reworked an old tune - 1994, So Young (from 1977-78) the result was great. so another Tattoo You-like album could be good.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 31, 2009 16:45

dcba

I'm aware he was at the mixing stage and that's the beauty and the saviour of it, he took what was basically a bunch of leftover tracks some dating back a considerable period of time and came up with something that sounded like it came from the same sessions(imo). As for the FM sound well that's exactly my thoughts on the Chris Kimsey co-produced/mixed 'Undercover' album, a very FM/MTV 80's sounding production which has aged far worse than 'Tattoo You'. Please don't misread me however, I'm not knocking Chris. He's been with The Stones a while and has done a lot of great work with them. I'd agree that my preference is the 'raw'sound too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home