Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Voodoo Lounge in New Jersey
Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: January 29, 2009 15:02

I am thinking about buying the dvd "Voodoo Lounge in New Jersey".
Excuse me if this has been discussed here before, but surely someone can give me
some informations (or forward an old tread).
Was this originaly taped for a tv-broadcast or what is the origin?
Does there exist a version of the complete concert?
The dvd only runs 90 minutes.
And how did they play - is it worth buying?

Re: Voodoo Lounge in New Jersey
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 29, 2009 15:26

This DVD is made from the video that was sold in 1995 during the Voodoo Lounge concerts.
It is a partial, but great and rainy concert at Giants stadium.
I have the original VHS, and I love it.

If someone has the DVD, I'd also be intersted to know if the transfer is well made.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 29, 2009 15:40

I think that New Jersey has a very muddy sound...you just wait for the cymabals and guitars to come out of the basement - it´s sad. The other - similar - dvd from Japan -95 sounds a lot better!!!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:05

There are indeed 3 officially filmed concerts from 1994/95 : Giants Stadium, Miami and Tokyo that were/are officially available.

Tokyo is by far the best, but I think this one is worth having too.
I don't have any VCR anymore, but I don't recall the sound to be that muddy. Nevertheless, the muddiest sound from that tour is the New Orleans radio broadcast. I never found any good recording of this concert, so it must definitely the mix that sucks from the very beginning.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:35

I will buy it anyway and report about ther sound.
They sell diverse Stones dvd's very cheap here in germany at the moment-
for 7 euro.
Keith and the vinos in Boston was among them too - great concert btw.
Sometimes great concerts for a budget-price.
I wonder how they do it - in my opinion these are bootlegs and illegal.
And germany is not very much known for tolerance...hamburg is not amsterdam...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:52

The CD boot I have of that show, August 14th, is quite good.

The NOLA show is pretty bad - very boomy. But that's what happens when you have 65,000 tickets available and only 22,000 or 25,000 some are sold in a giant concrete upside down soup bowl.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 29, 2009 23:07

I think that my VCR...Miami sounds really good! Of the three...I´d go for that, then Tokyo and...then NJ if you have to pick one. But that´s just me!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 30, 2009 00:58

I've seen all three and think the NJ Giants Stadium one rocks the best!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:04

skipstone

The NOLA show is pretty bad - very boomy. But that's what happens when you have 65,000 tickets available and only 22,000 or 25,000 some are sold in a giant concrete upside down soup bowl.

wow was it really that empty?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:13

Doc
Nevertheless, the muddiest sound from that tour is the New Orleans radio broadcast. I never found any good recording of this concert, so it must definitely the mix that sucks from the very beginning.

14 of the songs from New Orleans was broadcasted a little later - in better quality....available on bootleg and via torrents

But the complete show sounds extremely echo and muddy-like...horrible mixing indeed

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:37

Agreed Erik_Snow. I have never heard the full show bootleg as I the feedback I have always gotten is that it sounds poor ... but the partial, 14-track broadcast sounds pretty good.

The best overall sounding boot from the tour is probably Tokyo 95. Miami is good too, just a little thin and hollow sounding. I have a partial boot from the New Jersey show that I believe is taken from the VHS tape. It's a little muffled, but decent as I recall.

Voodoo on Halloween (Oakland) and Everything But the Cobra (South America I think?) sound similar: all soundboard with almost no audience, but good upfront mixes at least. They sound sterile though.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 1, 2009 16:52

melillo
skipstone

wow was it really that empty?

The stage was moved in with a large curtain sealing off the vacant area behind the stage.
This was before N.O. had a basketball arena, and the next largest venue in the city seated about 5000.
I think they predicted ticket sales fairly accurately for that show, since the place looked "full" with the layout they had, but the empty area behind the stage didn't do any good for the sound.

It was a different story when U2 played there back around the same time.
I think they predicted big sales and that didn't happen.
The Superdome was fully open, as it was during the Stones tours of 78-81-89, and there were thousands of vacant seats to be seen.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 1, 2009 17:36

The New Orleans show was a bad recording, until tha last 5 songs or so , because some one, an engineer, forgot to turn down the audience microphone, hence the boomy sound. By the time they got to Monkey Man, they turned off the audience mic and the sound was perfect. A very bad job on that radio broadcast.

And by the way, the New Jersey Voodoo lounge show was officially released on video for purchase, but the DVD is a bootleg,not released on DVD,and my silver DVD seems a little dark from the transfer from what I recall, I haven't watched it in a few years now. i wish it was the complete show either way but it is not.

The beginning part with the sound guy and girfriend in the hotel is just plain stupid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home