Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ian McLagan US Tour - Anyone going?
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:39

T&A...didn't realize you were a Oregonian! I love Eugene...met the love of my life there.

So, yeah, the White Eagle Saloon. I have never been there either, but I know it is a old joint with a interesting past. It used to have a brothel upstairs which now is a hotel. So if you get wasted at the show, you can just rent a room. It is believed to be haunted too!

If you are planning on comin' up for the show, let me know and I'll buy ya a drink.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:41

lettingitbleed
T&A...didn't realize you were a Oregonian! I love Eugene...met the love of my life there.

So, yeah, the White Eagle Saloon. I have never been there either, but I know it is a old joint with a interesting past. It used to have a brothel upstairs which now is a hotel. So if you get wasted at the show, you can just rent a room. It is believed to be haunted too!

If you are planning on comin' up for the show, let me know and I'll buy ya a drink.

i've been up for the portland blooze fests the past few years, but won't be able to this year.

this place looks like it might be close to a club i used to go to a few decades ago - the Euphoria Tavern. Don't think it's around anymore? Saw Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, George Thorogood (on a night i proposed to the love of my life!) and others...great venue.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:49

Well, I'll have an extra drink for ya then! Hmmm..Euphoria Tavern? Never heard of it, but than again alot of old places around town are gone now. That area has some cool spots nearby these days....shops and restaurants. It's near the Widmer Brewery off of Interstate Ave.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 14, 2009 17:30

Okay, I'm DEFINITELY going to the Detroit show, March 8. Just found out the opening act is The Muggs. VERY hot Detroit band! Saw them open for the (briefly) reunited Cactus in 2007. Check 'em out:

[www.themuggs.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 14, 2009 17:44

Well if I dont make it to SWSW in Austin 3/18 to 3/21 it wont be cause i didnt try! Mac,Dave Alvin,Tommy Womack, Joe Ely(I think!)... plus the states biggest record show of the year!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:05

Saw Mac's show at Jammin' Java in Vienna, Virginia tonight. About 100 people in the place. Solid unpretentious show by a cracking little band in one of my favorite rooms. As someone noted earlier, Jed Newcomb plays a lot of Ron Wood's licks better than Woody himself.

The set was a nice mix of old and new. From the Small Faces, there was Get Yourself Together. The Faces material included Glad and Sorry, Cindy Incidentally, You're So Rude, and several teases of Silicon Grown, which he never actually played. There were a couple of Ronnie Lane solo songs, including Spiritual Girl. The set ended with Temperature and Judy Judy Judy. His "encore" was Kutschy Rye.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:41

...maybe The Mint gigs in L.A...There's also a gig scheduled at a funky spot called ABC Blues Club in Arcadia, CA.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:50

HUGE SHOW..Mac had us all going from the 1s moment he stepped on stage. GREAT show...best I have seen, and maybe better than the Raconteurs...
Faces tour, WE DONT NEED NO STEEKIN' Faces tour...its already on the road.

Thanks Mac...Hey Matthew, I got somethin' fer ya...

DO NOT MISS THIS GIG!

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-05 16:44 by stone-relics.

Posted by: wantedman09 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 08:20

...and we get it FREE every Thursday here in Austin @ Mac's HH.

Scrappy ROCKS RAUNCHY!

...and scottkeef, lemme know if you ARE comming!

Cheers then,
Charlie

Date: March 5, 2009 15:53

Anyone else catch him on this tour and want to comment?

Date: March 5, 2009 19:24

Saw him last night in Rochester NY, and it was great, although I was depressed at how small the crowd was. Didn't seem to bother Mac in the least though - he made some jokes about it and proceeded to play for a little less than 2hrs, cranking out some terrific music.

Roughly a 30/70 mix of Faces / Solo material, all of which were played fantastically - his band is TIGHT!

Got to meet him after the show, shake hands and talk for a quick minute. He signed my ticket and a CD I bought (Spiritual Boy - his tribute to Ronnie Lane..great disc). Extremely personable guy!

Overall, a great evening and I'd see him again in a heartbeat.

Date: March 8, 2009 16:38

Any reviews from Buffalo, Cleveland, or Chicago? Mid-West leg of the tour wraps up tonight in Detroit. I'll be the guy right in front of the stage wearing a "Rolling Stones U.S. Tour '78" t-shirt if anyone wants to join me for a Pabst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 16:49 by tatters.

Posted by: Martijnstone ()
Date: March 8, 2009 16:48

Hope he do some shows in Europe.

Date: March 9, 2009 14:57

What a difference thirty years makes. The last time I saw Mac play live was at the New Barbarians MSG concert, where I sat in the last row of what used to be the blue seats, the uppermost level, at the far end of the arena, as far away as you could get and still be at the concert. Last night at the Magic Bag in Ferndale, Michigan, about one mile outside the Detroit city limits, I stood leaning against a speaker cabinet, about four feet from where Mac was standing, with a perfect view of the keys on his piano, which were literally within arms reach from where I was standing. On a rainy Sunday night, with a Fleetwood Mac concert in the northern suburbs, the crowd was small, maybe 125 people in a club that holds 300. Lots of empty tables in the back, which is unheard of when a performer of this stature (no pun intended) plays this venue. Mac's voice was a little rough from having done gigs on four or five consecutive nights prior, but still sounded good and strong. Setlist was the same as previously described. For me, the highlights were the Ronnie Lane songs. Mac says he's still hoping Rod might consent to doing one or two Faces concerts, with the idea behind that being that if Rod does one or two and "gets a taste for it", he might want to do many, many more. I told Mac that if they only do one or two shows, they should follow Led Zeppelin's example and sell the tickets through a world-wide lottery so everyone has an equal chance. He said he hoped they could do more shows so that all the fans who wanted to see them would actually be able to see them. But he does say it's now or never. Says he's going to give it until June or July and then he is going on with his life. The guy will be 64 in May. He hasn't got time for bull shit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-09 15:05 by tatters.

Date: March 12, 2009 16:09

SyracuseStonesFan

Got to meet him after the show, shake hands and talk for a quick minute. He signed my ticket and a CD I bought (Spiritual Boy - his tribute to Ronnie Lane..great disc). Extremely personable guy!

I picked this CD up at the show myself. Been listening to it in the car all week. Life affirming and heartbreakingly beautiful.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 12, 2009 19:38

tatters
I told Mac that if they only do one or two shows, they should follow Led Zeppelin's example and sell the tickets through a world-wide lottery so everyone has an equal chance.

love the faces...ummm...but there's no way there's even a semblance of the demand for a reunion show that zep had....not even sure they could sell out an arena the "normal" way in most cities...

Date: March 13, 2009 14:33

T&A
tatters
I told Mac that if they only do one or two shows, they should follow Led Zeppelin's example and sell the tickets through a world-wide lottery so everyone has an equal chance.

love the faces...ummm...but there's no way there's even a semblance of the demand for a reunion show that zep had....not even sure they could sell out an arena the "normal" way in most cities...

Of course not, but I'm talking about ONE show, like Zeppelin did at O2. I'm sure that would sell out. There wouldn't be 20 million people trying to get tickets, like there was for Zeppelin, but worldwide, you might have several hundred thousand people who would like to see them, and so that a Faces fan in Detroit might have the same chance of getting tickets as a Faces fan in London, I think they should do an internet lottery.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2009 14:41

Yes and record it for a live album and DVD release for those who couldn't make it.
Which Zep don't seem to be planning (yet)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home