Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: NEW Springsteen's CD streaming on NPR
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 23, 2009 22:04

The yet not released new Springsteen's CD is available for streaming at [www.npr.org].
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: OT: NEW Springsteen's CD streaming on NPR
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 23, 2009 22:11

wotta find TY!! just starting listening!! what a treat; thnx for posting!!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 23, 2009 22:19

Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 23, 2009 22:24

rumours have it that the cd is already available on torrent sites. those pirates, horrible...

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 23, 2009 23:31

Give it a listen. It's ghastly.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 23, 2009 23:43

This isn't just a bad Bruce album by his incredible standards, this is a bad album by ANY standard.

I stopped playing it after about three listens.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:13

I like the album, and I will buy it. Others don't like it, and won't buy it. Thank you and goodnight.

Date: January 24, 2009 01:16

i love springsteen; like 'magic' having a bit of a real hard time getting into this one for some reason...i'm sure there's at least one really grand thing here, but it's not grabbing me and i stopped listening about fifteen minutes in.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:23

Beelyboy, you haven't heard the best tracks on the album. These include "Good Eye", "The Last Carnival" and "The Wrestler". Listen to it in its entirety.

Date: January 24, 2009 01:24

thnx for tip

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:27

Ghastly, R? You really think so? Or are you not a Springsteen fan to begin with.

By the way, I don't make that last remark to insult ... just wondering. As a Springsteen fan I am, at best, a notch above casual. But I got a pirated copy (ok so shoot me everybody) and I generally liked what I heard. Thought it ran the gamut of styles nicely, and there were a few songs that caught my ear. Plus, it seemed like he stepped away from the more political topics and got more to everyday life lyrics.

Date: January 24, 2009 01:51

It's definitely a "pop" album. A first listening let me disappointed ,I thought it was over produced. Then I listened to a second time and it feels better.That thing could probably grow on me if I allow it.But those goddamned keyboards are too invading; Bruce, gimme more scorching guitars pal!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:53

rollmops, from what I have read, overproduction was kind of the point here. The producer said in Rolling Stone it was intended to be a more sonically-layered disc. I agree - to my ears, there are influences of varied artists like Beach Boys and Ennio Morricone. Besides, seems like the last album was fairly guitar-heavy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2009 02:11

bassplayer617
Beelyboy, you haven't heard the best tracks on the album. These include "Good Eye", "The Last Carnival" and "The Wrestler". Listen to it in its entirety.

Yep. I've had it now for almost 2 weeks and have to say it REALLY took me a while to get into it. There's undeniably some filler on it but with a few listens I've been able to appreciate it more. Have hardly listened to anything else all week.

Date: January 24, 2009 02:22

You're right theimposter, that harmonica in OutlawPete reminded me of Once upon the time in the west.The music on that album is very "cinematographic" with lot of musical changes following the progression of the narrative.A cd that one has to listen carefully. I often listen to music without making a systematic effort at paying attention to details. But with records like that one, it is almost required. That is probably why my first listening let me quite indifferent. I am going to listen to it again.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: January 24, 2009 03:20

The funny thing about this record seems to be that many of the real fans don`t like this album if you read the comments here and on NPR. But me , I can`t stop listening to this one!! Never really liked his records , saw him in concert a few times in the past 30 years (GREAT!) but this one is grabbing me. Thanx for posting!!

P.S. OutlawPete is great, but this "I was made for loving you baby"-melody is irritating me, but can`t get it out of my head :-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 24, 2009 07:32

Just listend to it on NPR. I think it goes down smoother on the first listen then Magic did. I liked a couple of tunes off of Magic,until Iheard it live. I liked it even more. WOAD's first 3 songs come off strong. Queen of the Supermarket is a bit wierd. What Love Can Do is good....And I love The Wrestler. Absolute crime it didn't get nominated for an Oscar.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 24, 2009 07:47

If Bruce plays many of the "filler tracks" from this album at his concerts, what would people say?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 24, 2009 08:01

JumpingKentFlash
If Bruce plays many of the "filler tracks" from this album at his concerts, what would people say?

I don't think he will play filler at his shows. He may do 4-5 new ones. Which I think this album supports very well....And I think most people willl say they saw a good show.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 21:43 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 24, 2009 08:49

He played 9 'Magic' songs during his indoor tour in Holland in 2007. I hope he will play lots of new songs coming tour too from his new release. I like artists who support their new CD.
Unlike the Stones

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 24, 2009 11:32

It's coming out on Monday right? I saw it in the shops today. Weird. Don't know about the songs on it, but the cover is horrible.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: January 24, 2009 19:25

Well, if he plays filler tracks live it can't be THAT bad because there are not more than three fillers on the album which leaves another (usually) 27 songs to be enjoyed during the concert.

The album sure has a few weak points (the lyrics are the most deplorable, I mean "surprise, surprise, surprise"!?) but there is also this bunch of songs that makes you forget about these, and Bruce was clever/lucky enough to place the best songs right at the end of the album (others are right at the beginning), so that the over-all impression is a rather positive one.

However, I just started listening to it yesterday so I'm still expecting it to grow on me.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 24, 2009 19:52

I can only echo a couple of comments here.I,m not a fan at all to be honest,but i really liked most of these songs on first listen.Perhaps it's got a lot to do with your own anticiption and expectation of a cd from a favourite artist.If you don't have that connection,and have no preconceptions of what it should or shouldn't sound like,it's maybe easier to enjoy.

There again,of course ,sometimes records are just plain bad,i don't believe this one is though

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 24, 2009 21:24

ThereĀ“s an interview with him right now on BBC 2.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 25, 2009 00:43

Gazza
bassplayer617

Yep. I've had it now for almost 2 weeks and have to say it REALLY took me a while to get into it. There's undeniably some filler on it but with a few listens I've been able to appreciate it more. Have hardly listened to anything else all week.

I've had it for the past ten days too, and I've given it a good few listens. I think it's as bad as Human Touch. Outlaw Pete (love the orchestration on there and the silly/funny lyrics) and the title track are good, and The Wrestler's sublime, but the rest of the album sucks. I know I didn't like Magic for a good while (and I still don't like all of it), but WOAD is awful to these ears. Queen of the Supermarket is spit in the bucket bad, but the hideous Surprise, Surprise is this album's Real Man.

And this is coming from a big big fan of Bruce's, who'll be going to all the London gigs.

Nevermind, I bet his next album is the nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-25 00:44 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: January 25, 2009 02:04

By comparison, Surprise, Surprise is so bad, it makes Real Man sound like Desolation Row.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home