Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Overrated Stones Songs
Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 3, 2009 05:21

Satisfaction overated???? i don't think so. Yes the song is cooked live and they don't play it anything like the original but the original ain't overated!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 3, 2009 08:43

a lot of people consider Dead Flowers to be a great song. I think its good, but not great. Id say its overrated.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2009 11:00

Well, many of people seem to answer to question which song is not over-rated but over-played by the band. No matter how much they ridicule - milking out - their old classic these days - "Sympathy For The Devil" is a rape actually worth of serious jail sentence - I still feel excited of their original versions. When a random "Angie" or "Satisfaction" or "Start Me Up" comes from radio I cannot help but being excited. They just sound bloody fresh, timeless and great!

I think the reason why people (Rolling Stones fans) are soooo bored of these classics is that there is so much unneeded official live material circulating nowadays. The people who ONLY hear them once in three years in concert are still quite excited. They can hear what these songs actually are: greatest rock and roll songs ever written.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-03 11:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 3, 2009 11:45

I had the exact same feeling, Doxa. A lot of them are over played and you get bored by them but i think the questions aplies to the studio recordings. I like Shattered but i never understood the big fuss about it on this board.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 3, 2009 13:10

Paint it Black and No Expectations

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:08

Angie

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:15

Angie.

Satisfaction and Miss You are very good songs, talking about studio versions.
YCAGWYW is also a good song and the bkg vocals are, for me, quite ironical.

Recent radio singles are hugely overrated. I think about SOL, YGMR and Anybody Seen My Baby

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: January 3, 2009 14:24

stupidity is back again...please, go to listen to U2 or McCartney or take holidays..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 3, 2009 17:14

I think the reason for the studio to live comparison with being overrated is because of how they take the songs, like Start Me Up, which is over-played on the radio yet alone live - and simply bludgeon them live. Or how they've totally missed the boat with JJF.

But OK, to go by simply overrated songs on albums:
Beast Of Burden
Angie
Time Waits For No One
Fool To Cry
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Start Me Up

Date: January 3, 2009 17:21

To be honest, I don't think any Stones song is over rated. Like Doxa says, I am sick to death of many songs. But I know they are all great ones. I mean "Miss You" is a dynamite track; just don't need to hear it in concert anymore. Same for Tumbling Dice.
IMO I actually UNDER rate Stones songs; then I hear the "real" version and get schooled. "Beast of Burden"...live by now it has no soul or swing anymore. The lick is a mess, and Jagger shouts the same lines over and over. But on SG I am reminded what a wonderful song this is.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 3, 2009 17:45

Have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadow...??? is not my favorite...I will call it overrated...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 3, 2009 17:56

shattered
beast of burden
fool to cry
miss you (live)
let it bleed

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 3, 2009 17:59

Overrated tunes? hmmmmm

The ones that are burned on my brain, overplayed....

Start me up
Live With Me
Sympathy For the Devil ( the live version since 89')
Saint Of Me
Don't Stop
Rock in a Hard Place
Anybody seen my baby
Harlem Shuffle
Miss You
The Last Time
Aint to proud to beg
The Entire A Bigger Bang album...

I'll another thread "Most underrated stones tunes" in a sec

Date: January 3, 2009 20:08

Of the 'big songs', there are few that for whatever reason have never made a huge impression to me - and honestly, I don't quite grasp the greatness of them, even if I try:

(1) "Get Off of My Cloud" (a great idea of chorus, good lyrics, great drums, great vocals/shouting by Jagger, but it just doesn't work.. tries too hard?)
(2) "19th Nervous Breakdown" (great lyrics again, a catchy melody, good guitar licks, but it just doesn't work...perhaps the muddy production ruins it?))
(3) "Tumblin' Dice" (a wonderful guitar licks, wonderful vocals, wonderful swing, wonderful anything, but... I find it - SORRY KEITH!! - boring????)
(4) "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (a genious lyrical idea, wonderful chorus, but something is missing... too tired-sounding, too chuckberry-like or too obvious?)
(5) "Shattered" (perhaps not a 'big song', but it it has good reputation being THE 'punk' of the Stones, but honestly I have never find what is so smart and genious in it (expect Jagger's 'rap' lyrics...)

(Well, I could say a song like "Fool To Cry" should be included, but I don't think it any kind of song to remembered in any case, so I don't bother...This also goes for a song like "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" which I take to be a kind of flop in any case.)

Then counter-criticism: I just can't grasp what can be over-rated in original recordings of "Angie" or "Miss You" or "Start Me Up" - they are masterpieces in any sense of the word. I can understand that "Start Me Up" can be a bit repitive (Brown Sugar" vol. 2 etc.), but to not like "Angie" or "Miss You" it needs to be something of nothing liking the type of the songs those are. I find them really unique and one of their kinds in the Stones catalog. Absolute winners.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-03 20:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 3, 2009 20:17

My view upon BoB is wellknown. But it was that Midler woman who destroyed it.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 3, 2009 23:01

Doxa
Well, many of people seem to answer to question which song is not over-rated but over-played by the band. No matter how much they ridicule - milking out - their old classic these days - "Sympathy For The Devil" is a rape actually worth of serious jail sentence - I still feel excited of their original versions. When a random "Angie" or "Satisfaction" or "Start Me Up" comes from radio I cannot help but being excited. They just sound bloody fresh, timeless and great!

I think the reason why people (Rolling Stones fans) are soooo bored of these classics is that there is so much unneeded official live material circulating nowadays. The people who ONLY hear them once in three years in concert are still quite excited. They can hear what these songs actually are: greatest rock and roll songs ever written.

- Doxa

Very well spoken!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: January 4, 2009 01:47

...anything that's played on the B-Stage.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: January 4, 2009 02:46

You Got Me Rockin', but I think it has kind of been force feed down our throats as a "classic" when it's really a shell compared to what the Stones can do when they are on their game.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 4, 2009 03:08

Doxa
Well, many of people seem to answer to question which song is not over-rated but over-played by the band.

The people who ONLY hear them once in three years in concert are still quite excited. They can hear what these songs actually are: greatest rock and roll songs ever written. - Doxa

Doxa, that is an excellent point.

I can remember a time when 'Brown Sugar' and 'Satisfaction' really got my adrenaline flowing, but hearing them over and over and over and over gradually took the thrill away.

Drew

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2009 03:16

So it's turned into an overplayed thread.

But even that can show overratedness right? For instance, very few people here seem to actually like YGMR yet the Stones insist on playing it live.

So does that make it overrated...with them?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 4, 2009 12:04

jjflash73
out of control. never liked it.

i don't care for the song - but there's that cool guitar bit in the middle of it that i dig.

i'm gonna say "wild horses".

Date: January 4, 2009 13:06

skipstone
So it's turned into an overplayed thread.

But even that can show overratedness right? For instance, very few people here seem to actually like YGMR yet the Stones insist on playing it live.

So does that make it overrated...with them?

Ever since I heard it first time, "You Got Me Rocking" has always been a total throwaway kind of song to me, in fact, almost a cheap autopilot - no creative braincells used at all - kind of number by the band, and it always confuses why they seem to treat it as like their most important song of their 'new era'. I guess it is the most played song from the album since, say, DIRTY WORK, right? This is also a kind of sign what the band thinks of the quality of their new material to chooce a filler like it. By contrast - I think almost any rocker from their albums from STICKY FINGERS to UNDERCOVER is better than it.

Why they choose to play it as regular number among with classics? The first thing that comes to my mind is that they just enjoy playing it - it is relatively easy to play, especially for the main guitarist to sound like driving the band with a effective riff, but still gives enough room for him and rest to fool around and look cool. They can play a relatively energetic sounding rocker by minimal effort used in the early part of the show. This argument also suits for the vocal effort - Jagger uses the same kind of technics he uses in "Jumping Jack Flash" nowadays - sounds like pushing hard, but in fact not really doing so, more like miming loud singing. I guess this 'economical' reason, and with the fact that they learned to play it quite easily, without not much boring rehearsing - as with the certain old classics - makes it an easy choice to play. It is a filler autopilot song every two-hours show seem to need.

But there is another possible reason, and I was enlightened by this reason when I watch the band playing it in El Ejido '07 - namely, the song worked quite nicely to a crowd in the early hectic moments of the show - you know, when everybody is excited and full of adrenaline for realizing being wittnessing a great moment - the stupid chorus line is simple and effective enough is exactly the kind of thing needed in a moment like this. I guess the band feels this and is a master to communicate with the crowd - that most likely do not know the song but can easily catch the main line to sing along, etc. It is an anynumous song to suit situations like this - to be felt in a right moment.

This is as good as I can explain the over-playing of "You Got Me Rocking" - there is no way I can think anyone, starting from the band, can really think it as a 'great song'. It just seems to suit to function well and be good enough in certain given circumstances.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-04 13:08 by Doxa.

Date: January 4, 2009 14:26

The only songs I can think of that I see as overrated are "get off of my cloud". It is counted among their first string of classic hits, of No1 singles , when that were gold. The band themselves play it as such, and I guess many see the lyrics as socially...etc
The other in a totally different way is "Laugh I nearly Died". Because today's expectations have been lowered. That they did a new album at all was monumental; that there would be a hafway decent ballad, with a non-forced-Stonesy0rocker chorus was also huge; so then this song becomes the one shining beacon on that album, for the thinking-man's Stonesfan. When it really is not that good of a song.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 4, 2009 15:13

Doxa,I agree to your explanation,so it leads finally to the conclusion
that YGMR is used as a cheap crowd pleaser with it´s "Heyhey" (fists in the air)
posing by Mick and the crowd...and some people might be aware that they are freaking
and jumping to a crap song - I´m not sure about that.

I think,without any proof,that the stones really like this song,so what,

they´ll play what they wanna play...

And the " overrated " thing is also the question,by whom ?
me,most people,even the band ?

Date: January 5, 2009 01:26

I think we people whp have been to the shows since 1989 are tired of GS, SMU, SFTD, IORR, Satisfaction, BS, HTW, SFM and JJF being played either as an opener or the last six songs. None of these songs are overated I'd be willing to bet that the populartiy of these songs is the reason most of the people on this site fell in love with the Stones to begin with. We'd like to hear them perform the many other great songs that they have and mix up the order or give these songs a fresh overhaul on stage.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: January 9, 2009 12:19

can´t agree with those of you who consider songs of some girls overrated; i am not talking about Miss you (for me it´s just an "ok song", nothing more), but shattered, Beast, Whip, Some Girls, Before they make me run - all great songs. Their potential was also visible on SAL - Shattered and Some Girls were absolute highlights on it. I admit i also like the much hated YGMR. For me it is hard to consider any stone somgs "overrated" - of course, they wrote some weaker songs too, but usually they are considered as such (for example "Blinded by love"). If i had to choose some songs as "overrated" i think i would choose "Fool to cry" and "it´s only rock n´roll".

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 9, 2009 14:03

I just can't see how anyone (if they like the Stones) cannot like midnight Rambler, it has everything in it that the Stones are about and proberbly their best top five songs.

All this ranting about how boring the songs are, I just can't see it , just imagine yourself at a Stones concert and you are standing right in front of the stage and they come out with Brown Sugar, Start me up, Satisfaction or any one of these classic songs then I'm sure it would send shivers down your spine. Seeing the Stones live just cancells out all this chit chat about how over played the songs are, ENJOY THEM each time you hear them played because one day sooner than we thing they won't be playing them and then we'll crave for just one more concert of war horses.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-09 14:22 by pgarof.

Date: January 10, 2009 01:22

pgarof - You are probably right about the warhorses they are awesome songs all of them.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 10, 2009 01:26

pgarof
just imagine yourself at a Stones concert and you are standing right in front of the stage and they come out with Brown Sugar, Start me up, Satisfaction or any one

why would any of us have to "imagine" this? i think many/most of us have been there, on many occasions in many cases. sometimes there's been the spinal tingle sensation, but of late it's been more a case of thinking about or actually going to an early exit to beat the rush....they don't play them as well anymore and "i've seen that movie" before too many times even if played reasonably well. enough already.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2009 02:34

I for one really, really dig Rambler. Love hearing it, love singing/harping it... and it's the song during the Steel Wheels show that made me most feel "HOLY $#!T THIS IS THE @#$%ING STONES!"

Anyways, Here's my top 5 truly overrated songs. Heavy warhorses aren't included. I dig their hits (mostly the original versions). Come on; Honky Tonkm Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Suar, Satisfaction, Sympathy - those are serious rock anthems that deserve their praie, in my opnion. This list is not all song that I dislike, it's songs that I see people going ape$#!t over leaving me scratching my head.

1. Street Fighting Man. The melody is dull. No live versions save 72-73 do it that much justice. Lyrically it shoulda been a Who song. It's okay, but not even in my top 30 favourites. I never liked singing it in cover bands.
2. Shattered. I've heard soooo many people express that to them this is their #1 fave. Not me. New York songs do nothing for Canadians, maybe? I mean, I don't dislike it, but best song of theirs??? Really? Nope.
3. Paint It, Black. Do I hate it? No. Do I find it overrated? Yes. Ruined by more cover bands and drunk karaoke boneheads than any other Stones track. Thanks, Tour of Duty.
4. 19th Nervous Breakdown. Dated beyond reason, I skip this track in my CD player more than bothering listening to it. It does nothing for me.
5. Mother's Little Helper. I actually strongly dislike this song.

Honourable Mention - Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In the Shadow.
I can't listen to that mess of a song either.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home