Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Did the Stones pass the torch to AC/DC?
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 2, 2009 01:20

alimente
letitloose
Ok lets slay some dragons here. Brian Johnson did NOT sound better with Geordie. He peaked on Back in Black (he also sounds great on Black Ice). I suspect you referred to Geordie to try to show some kudos. Your inference that you need to be drunk to enjoy AC/DC is pathetic. Most AC/DC fans I know enjoy a drink, but you come across as a bitter old reformed alkie.
Tell me the AC/DC records you truly have and have listened to, because I suspect you are talking through your arse.
As for me: I never claimed to be the worlds biggest Stones fan but I have all the albums and have seen them 5 times.

Brian DID sound better with Geordie (musically a bit more versatile than AC/DC, by the way), but opinions are just that: opinions.

I need to show some kudos? primitive argument. for someone who puts the Stones down like you claiming to own all albums and having seen them 5 times its just a bit ... strange. guess now its YOU who is struggling to show some kudos.

Drunk - I can actually enjoy AC(DC (early stuff!!!) without being drunk, but according to my observations of AC/DC fans during showtime a lot of them obviously cant...

I wont explain you the deep universe that is my record collection because you would not understand it anyway...too much variety for you to handle, and yes, AC/DC /early stuff with Bon Scott actually is part of my universe.

Talking through my arse is not one of my habits but you seem to be no stranger to such things....to each their own!

if we start talking about the size of our respective record collections then we will both look like arseholes.

We disagree. Lets agree to do that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 2, 2009 01:47

I said I would not comment on this anymore but why does AC/DC not have a greatest hits album? Most of the stuff on the albums I don't want it would be nice if they put one out.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: January 2, 2009 02:09

This would be a nice tracklist:

AC/DC
RockNRoll Works

CD 1 Bon Era
High Voltage
TNT
Problem Child
The Jack
Dirty Deeds
Rocker
Bad Boy Boogie
Let There Be Rock
Whole Lotta Rosie
RockNRoll Damnation
Girls Got Rhythm
Highway To Hell
Shot Down In Flames
If You Want Blood

CD 2 Brian Era

Back In Black
Hells Bells
Shoot To Thrill
You Shook Me All Night Long
C.O.D.
For Those About To Rock
Guns For Hire
Sink The Pink
Who Made Who
Heatseeker
Thunderstruck
Hard As A Rock
Ballbreaker
Stiff Upper Lip
RockNRoll Train

Those 30 songs would break your mom's balls better than 40 Licks.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 2, 2009 03:04

mexicostone
Shut up.
Maybe he can still use the uniform.
But what about the stones? They still say they are the best band , and take their guitars and say they rock! That's a lot more absurd than the schoolboy uniform.
You wouldn't understand , because you're stuck in the past , i also love the music of the artists you do , but as you're just an old fart that stayed in the 60's or 70's , you can't notice you can also rock to other kind of stuff.
You'd better grab your balls , take a guitar , and film yourself creating a better song than ac/dc's worst one , you'll go nuts trying to do it.
They play the same chords , yeah , what about keith? , the man can't produce a good sound without open G tuned guitars!

I should "shut up"??? Nice way to start a post, bad behaviour is true Rock And Roll spirit, right? Or is it just one drink too many?

Anway:

Please, please, please EXPLAIN why I am an old fart that stays in the 60's and 70's and you think you are not by loving a band that started as early as, uh, 1972 or 1973 !!!! Not exactly a "new" band, eehh?

You obviously believe that AC/DC is the newest development in contemporary music!

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: January 2, 2009 03:04

I think it is much simpler than all the analogies here. did I spell that right?
I'm a fan of both bands for many years, and to me the strength of ac/dc is the simplicity of it all. Listen to the bass, no fancy shmancy all over the place. Straight ahead drumming as well. and the richness of the guitars with that open g sound even if it's not open g,
it's like a hearbeat........I hope I'm getting this right

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 2, 2009 14:04

slew
I said I would not comment on this anymore but why does AC/DC not have a greatest hits album? Most of the stuff on the albums I don't want it would be nice if they put one out.

Simple. They don't want to fleece their fans.

Date: January 2, 2009 16:41

Why is a greatest hits package fleecing the fans?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 2, 2009 17:15

I'd personally go with some different tunes for a best of - which is, haw haw haw, why I make my own.

I think an AC/DC Best Of would be good. It probably would have be to divided up like that. Or not. I dunno. There are a lot of songs though that are favourites with the fans and then of course the FM rock radio songs.

Date: January 2, 2009 17:39

alimente
mexicostone
Shut up.
Maybe he can still use the uniform.
But what about the stones? They still say they are the best band , and take their guitars and say they rock! That's a lot more absurd than the schoolboy uniform.
You wouldn't understand , because you're stuck in the past , i also love the music of the artists you do , but as you're just an old fart that stayed in the 60's or 70's , you can't notice you can also rock to other kind of stuff.
You'd better grab your balls , take a guitar , and film yourself creating a better song than ac/dc's worst one , you'll go nuts trying to do it.
They play the same chords , yeah , what about keith? , the man can't produce a good sound without open G tuned guitars!

I should "shut up"??? Nice way to start a post, bad behaviour is true Rock And Roll spirit, right? Or is it just one drink too many?

Anway:

Please, please, please EXPLAIN why I am an old fart that stays in the 60's and 70's and you think you are not by loving a band that started as early as, uh, 1972 or 1973 !!!! Not exactly a "new" band, eehh?

You obviously believe that AC/DC is the newest development in contemporary music!

I know they're also old as you , but they're not that uncool.
A rocknroll concert is about being primitive and whatever you said , in the stones concerts i've been to , the places were plenty of guys like you who claim to listen to the best music and they think that concert is the moment of their lives because they can feel like back in their old days and they can listen to some good oldies , but just stay sitted in their places as ladies.
I also like new bands like The Strokes or Keane , they create great music as well as Rolling Stones , Springsteen , or Bob Dylan , as well as AC/DC or Metallica .
I say you're an "old fart" because you have that atittude of old man , you just see and judge. You wouldn't like a band like ac/dc because they're not your style and you will say the same thing of the chords , they ain't being that stupid , they're just rocking really hard on stage these days, of course you wouldn't accept it because you can't understand.
It's the same thing with old men than with small kids , they go with what most of the other guys do.
They go with the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana , why?? , because they see that's what other boys and girls do , so they say they love em , just because they're great and they're great.
Some of you just keep going to these concerts of the bands you like , but you won't like anything else , because as small kids , you keep thinking of the same everytime and you just stay thinking in your mind , oh man, that keith richards is an icon , i love him , he really knows how to play , he's still one of the best guitar players!!!

Sometimes you have to change.
You don't really know how to rock , maybe you were a good rocker in the past , i really hope so , but maybe you just forgot what rock is about , you're the kind of guy who watches statistics of records sold , sees who seems to be the rolling stones kind and doesn't shake his head when listening to any other kind of stuff.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: January 2, 2009 18:57

AC/DC isn't in the same league as The Stones and anyone that thinks so is off their rocker. The Stones can pass the torch to a band like U2 in the sense that U2 will be the biggest band on the planet when The Stones pack it in but AC/DC isn't even in the same league and no objective person would think they deserve the torch.

Okay they sell a lot of records- give them credit but they are not an immortal band like Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin etc.

Date: January 2, 2009 21:15

FrankM
AC/DC isn't in the same league as The Stones and anyone that thinks so is off their rocker

Correct. The Stones haven't been in AC/DC's league for at least 20 years

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 2, 2009 21:27

slew
Why is a greatest hits package fleecing the fans?

Now THAT is a pretty good question, isn't it!

Date: January 2, 2009 21:59

Why? Because you're charging them again for songs they've already got!

Quite simple really

If a fan wants to make a Greatest Hits compilation, surely they are more than capable of making one themselves?

Why would any idiot pay for songs they already have ? Answer = a dumb one

Date: January 2, 2009 23:22

andy js
Why? Because you're charging them again for songs they've already got!

Quite simple really

If a fan wants to make a Greatest Hits compilation, surely they are more than capable of making one themselves?

Why would any idiot pay for songs they already have ? Answer = a dumb one

Seem to be pretty noble guys, these AC/DCs!!! Lotsa street credibility!!!

...but, and thats a BIG but, is the truth not even simpler:

THERE JUST AREN'T ENOUGH HITS TO FILL A WHOLE CD.

I mean hits in a commercial sense which usually can be found on Greatest Hits comps. Other artists who only generated a handful title their comps "Best Of" for this reason.

And this "charging them fans again for songs they've already got" is a bit weak because Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations are not exactly aimed at die-hard fans who own each and every song already. They can be pretty useful for those who dont, in a sense to introduce those people to a larger selection of songs from a certain artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-02 23:26 by alimente.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:53

alimente
Seem to be pretty noble guys, these AC/DCs!!! Lotsa street credibility!!!

...but, and thats a BIG but, is the truth not even simpler:

THERE JUST AREN'T ENOUGH HITS TO FILL A WHOLE CD.

I mean hits in a commercial sense which usually can be found on Greatest Hits comps. Other artists who only generated a handful title their comps "Best Of" for this reason.

They are very smart, they sell ALBUMS not singles and their catalog sales are notable.

Let's take this week:

Their new album ranks at #11 with 100,000 copies sold now if we see the Top 200 catalog chart we can see the following:

#6 Back In Black
#39 Highway To Hell
#47 High Voltage
#57 LIVE
#82 Razor's Edge
#98 Who Made Who
#139 Let There Be Rock
#180 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

8 albums in the catalog chart with combined sales of 82,000.

How many Stones albums in the catalog chart?
ZERO, NADA, not even Jump Back in the Top 200.

The endless number of hits collections by the Stones killed their catalog sales, a popular album at the time "Goats Head Soup", as example, has sold less than 300,000 copies in 18 years.
The reason: you can buy Angie from not less than 5 different compilations or live albums.

Exile On Main Street, the greatest album of all time according to many people here has sold less than the following AC/DC albums:

Highway to Hell
Back in Black
Let There Be Rock
High Voltage
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap
For Those About To Rock We Salute You
Who Made Who
The Razor’s Edge
Live
Live – Collector’s Edition
Ballbreaker
Black Ice

Date: January 3, 2009 00:38

I do not want all of their material - I would like ONE greatest hits album. This is a band that I don't want to listen to an entire album. Yes I could go on the web and download their songs but it's a pain in the neck. It would make them a lot of money.

Georgelicks - The Rolling Stones have waaaaaayy too many hits collections I will agree with you on that. There are great songs which nobody knows because everyone runs out and buys a hits collection. Forty Licks sold well but was not necessary at all i have all of those songs countless times. Great analogy on Goat's Head Soup. Everyone thinks Angie is the only good song on there. if you listen to the album it has Dancing With Mr. D, Heartbreaker, Star Star, Silver Train, Winter and 100 Years Ago fine songs that most people don't know of. So even though I am not in agreement on the artistic quality of the two bands you are correct on the hits collections. But one from AC/DC would not hurt.

As for Exile it topped the charts but it does not sell well. It's very dark and not for everyone. It is one of my personal favorites.

Date: January 3, 2009 00:43

Both bands are beasts of the rocknroll.
acdc still rocks , but stones stopped rocking a long time ago , maybe since the 80's.
Both bands have big hits , and almost the same quantity of people likes them.
There's no torch , everyone has the music torch , the torches are there forever , they're shown in concerts , albums , everything.
I think there's never been a greatest band of the world , every band should be credited for it's work and every band is good , it's just matter of taste and spirit.
Listen to all of the good stuff you can!
That's the conclusion for me.
Greets.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 01:30

didn't people say the same thing about the stones and guns n' roses 20 yrs ago? ac/dc is a great band but i don't think the stones have to pass the torch to anyone much less to a band whose members are not much younger than the stones

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 3, 2009 01:46

As a Stones fan I'll say this... (and this is based soley on what I see and hear out there) AC/DC gets a HELL of a lot more love from kids today. They are by FAR a greater staple on rock radio. They had their own fire even when the Stones were still at their peak. They, and Led Zeppelin, epitomize Rock and Roll more to kids today than either the Stones or The Who.

The Stones haven't 'passed on' anything really, they're still kinda trudging forward to financial insanity.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 3, 2009 01:48

slew
I do not want all of their material - I would like ONE greatest hits album.

It's called Back In Black.

But a compilation is really unnecessary precisely for the reason Georgelicks mentioned.hurt.

As for Exile it topped the charts but it does not sell well. It's very dark and not for everyone. It is one of my personal favorites.

True, though I still find the sales figures odd. People I know who are pretty much appalled at anything the Stones have done from even 1981 forward cite this as one the greatest albums of all time.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:13

I see AC/DC as more straight-forward meat & potatoes rock for the masses. Nothing to hard to digest. It's honest, fist-pumping blue-collar rock.

The more I think about it, the sillier it seems to compare the two.
However, anyone who went to Toronto (SARS) - told me that it seemed that more people were impressed by AC/DC than the Stones.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 3, 2009 02:30

slew
I do not want all of their material - I would like ONE greatest hits album

well you're the kind of coffee table fan they don't want. so tough titty!

Date: January 3, 2009 02:32

jamesfdouglas
However, anyone who went to Toronto (SARS) - told me that it seemed that more people were impressed by AC/DC than the Stones.

Same could be said of the three German shows too. And having watched/listened to the boots it aint hard to see why

One band is on fire and rocking, the other is sloppy and, lets be honest, not rocking in the slightest

Date: January 3, 2009 05:10

andyjs - What are you 18? you sure act it!

Date: January 3, 2009 06:05

seems like an invasion of AC/DC fistpumpers here!

well, one last thing: one Bon Scott era-album and the first Rose Tattoo - thats all you need in the fistpumping genre.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: January 3, 2009 08:01

I would say springsteens ahead of ac/dc. I doubt either the stones or acdc could pull a 3 night stand at giants stadium anymore. Springsteens got both of them on being spontaneous and giving people what they want, while still pleasing himself. he even takes fan requests to keep him on his feet.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 3, 2009 08:13

slew
andyjs - What are you 18? you sure act it!

Yeah, andjs, and do you only participate in AC/DC related threads?

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: January 3, 2009 09:58

both bands put on great shows,but the stones have different styles they mix in where as Ac/Dc are predictable from song to song.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: January 3, 2009 11:58

The Stones jumped the shark at SARS with Justin and passed the torch when AC/DC blew them off the stage. Can anyone picture Timberlake on stage with Angus? Case closed.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 3, 2009 12:09

I saw ACDC opening for the Stones on the Licks tour. It was awesome.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home