Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slave
Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:04

I was just listening to Slave, has Keith ever had a dirtier sounding guitar? I had not listened to it for a while its a great song. Wish they'd play it!!

Re: Slave
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:13

Yeah! You're right SLEW. This is very raw and nasty. The Rolling Stones at their very best. The recording sounds very spontaneous with a little bit of echo and the attack on the strings of the rythm guitar is deadly. Hats of Keith!!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:22

I wish it had made it to Black & Blue, along with Worried About You... how great album it would be then smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:24

I think Black and Blue is really good as is. Would have been better with those two songs. Don't care for Cherry Oh Baby but the rest is right on.

Date: December 26, 2008 23:27

I like it all on B&B but it's just 8 songs... Two missing to a classic ten-track record and those two fit perfectly smiling smiley

Cherry Oh Baby is nice too, someday you'll find it enjoyable winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-26 23:28 by Amused.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:35

Slave on the 1994 Virgin CD release clocks
in at 1.30 longer than the original album & CD release...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:57

Amused
I wish it had made it to Black & Blue, along with Worried About You... how great album it would be then smiling smiley

No. The songs were improved when they had the extras added to them. 'Slave' wasnt even finished in time for Black & Blue. Unless you're suggesting they should have just released the backing track and omitted that blistering sax solo.?

Date: December 27, 2008 00:02

Gazza, before my final answer to you I have to find my B&B session files and listen to that Slave...
blistering sax solo - Waiting On A Friend. especially at the very end, it's magic. one per album is enough winking smiley I don't fancy Slave sax solo that much actually.

but I wondered once or twice how would 3-minute Slave look like.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: December 27, 2008 00:09

Rockman
Slave on the 1994 Virgin CD release clocks
in at 1.30 longer than the original album & CD release...

Yes....why is that??? Anyone???

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2008 00:15

1994 Virgin CD release of Luxury is 30 seconds longer....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: December 27, 2008 00:35

Rockman
1994 Virgin CD release of Luxury is 30 seconds longer....

My God.....when does it stop?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2008 01:47

Amused
Gazza, before my final answer to you I have to find my B&B session files and listen to that Slave...
blistering sax solo - Waiting On A Friend. especially at the very end, it's magic. one per album is enough winking smiley I don't fancy Slave sax solo that much actually.

but I wondered once or twice how would 3-minute Slave look like.

Not as good. The longer the better.

None of the outtakes with a vocal come from 1975, incidentally. The first one dates from 1980.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 27, 2008 02:13

Ah well, I think in the proper sense though, if Slave had been finished as it is on TY then. I have it on my media player version of B&B, along with Worried About You. And it does make it an even better album for sure.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 27, 2008 03:01

.....great groove for sure...Tattoo You session out takes are equally good.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 27, 2008 03:19

10 songs to be a classic? While I enjoy Black and Blue -- perhaps their best sounding recording -- it's no classic.

I think the best thing that happened with the advent of mp3s was the return to SHORTER albums. I love that the new albums clock in under 40 minutes. When people felt they had to fill 80 minutes, things took a nosedive.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 27, 2008 03:39

I think Black And Blue is more of a classic than, say, Steel Wheels or Dirty Work.

Ha ha. Oh and by far it's their best album.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 27, 2008 03:56

We all have our favorites, Skipstone, and yes, it's better than both of those late era platters for sure.

But back to the original thread. Yes, the guitar sound is crunchy even though the whole disc sounds polished -- though not overly so, IMO.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 27, 2008 18:00

Rip This
.....great groove for sure...Tattoo You session out takes are equally good.

don't know if i've ever heard an outtake, per se. think there is just the one take circulating; and it was the basis for the finished product...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 28, 2008 14:37

slew
I was just listening to Slave, has Keith ever had a dirtier sounding guitar? I had not listened to it for a while its a great song. Wish they'd play it!!

For the Rotterdam 1975 rehearsals at the Doelen a first batch of Boogie MK I amps was delivered. In my very humble opinion, the sound of Keith is a Boogie and a P90 equipped Les Paul Junior.

Mathijs

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: December 28, 2008 15:23

It's funny! I was testing my new recorder yesterday, playing with my brother a cover of slave. I really love this song!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 28, 2008 16:03

....here is one out take.
[www.goear.com]

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 8, 2009 00:27

Slave. What a track. A true Tattoo gem. This is approach should have taken more often to grow this music up. Recorded in 75' as the Black n Blue Jam with Pete Townshend and Ronnie Wood. Pete sings background vocals and Sonny Rollins swims his horn in this funk and groove piece. I LOVE IT. I think Keith's playing is awesome here. This is the jam many guitarist played with the Stones guitarists auditioning purposes.

KEITH WHAT A TONE!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 8, 2009 00:33

Amused
Download "from Rags To Excess"(Mickboys B&B remaster) from edmund list. He kinda reprograms the album and includes Slave- I think its one of his best efforts. Gives you a rough idea of what the album mighta been!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 8, 2009 01:16

TeaAtThree
10 songs to be a classic? While I enjoy Black and Blue -- perhaps their best sounding recording -- it's no classic.

I think the best thing that happened with the advent of mp3s was the return to SHORTER albums. I love that the new albums clock in under 40 minutes. When people felt they had to fill 80 minutes, things took a nosedive.

Tea,if the Stones had thought the same it would have been asmallerbang.
But I agree in general with you,quality counts.

Therefore I was so happy when the longer version was released.
Pure magic.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 8, 2009 01:46

Wouldn't it be nice to hear The Stones open w/Slave?

Slave> It's All Over Now....that would be a great one two punch to open a show!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 8, 2009 01:48

shortfatfanny
Tea,if the Stones had thought the same it would have been asmallerbang.
But I agree in general with you,quality counts.

If only they had thought the same! For me, ABB is one of those albums that suffer from overlenght by including too many subpar fillers (and wrong choices too as Under The Radar would have graced the album).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 8, 2009 02:35

retired_dog
(and wrong choices too as Under The Radar would have graced the album).

Oh yeah, it would have worked SO well as no. 2, just after Rough Justice. How could they not see it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home