Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
TOPS - was MT credited ?
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 25, 2008 15:30

now this is a "top" song IMO, but is made on the back of the brilliant Mick Taylor solo at the end of the song.

Now is this simply a Jagger/Richards song? or did this have some creditation to Mick Taylor considering it was released some 6 years after it's original recording ?

would Taylor have received some $$ from this?

Re: TOPS - was MT credited ?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 25, 2008 18:12

It was more like 8 years actually if you go by 1973 being when it was recorded/finished for Goats Head Soup. I don't know about credit for the song in anyway - he sued them for it though.

What about Waiting On a Friend? Is he even on the Tattoo You version? Doesn't sound like it. Charlie has said something about his 'lovely Santana playing' on that song. I have never heard anything remotely Santana on WOAF.

So I'm guessing he's not on that track, he's just on Tops.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 25, 2008 18:24

There are no credits whatsoever on TY. Apparently Taylor had to sue the Stones to get some money from Tops after hearing his own playing on the record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-25 18:25 by Zack.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 25, 2008 18:29

Who plays the solo on Worried about you? I dont think thats Ronnie

Date: December 25, 2008 19:48

It is Wayne Perkins.

Date: December 25, 2008 20:06

skipstone
It is Wayne Perkins.

Thanks ... thats a great solo. Iread that Perkins was Keith;s top choice to replace Taylor... But Ronnies friendshipo with the group won over.

Date: December 25, 2008 20:58

Just to warn you - this thread subject has popped up a lot. Don't be surprised if there are any wisecracks.

Date: December 25, 2008 21:01

I don't give a shit.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 26, 2008 00:52

Loudei
skipstone
It is Wayne Perkins.

Thanks ... thats a great solo. Iread that Perkins was Keith;s top choice to replace Taylor... But Ronnies friendshipo with the group won over.

Perkins is great player. If friendship comes first in music..that was a big mistake in this case with the Stones.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 26, 2008 02:05

skipstone
It was more like 8 years actually if you go by 1973 being when it was recorded/finished for Goats Head Soup. I don't know about credit for the song in anyway - he sued them for it though.

What about Waiting On a Friend? Is he even on the Tattoo You version? Doesn't sound like it. Charlie has said something about his 'lovely Santana playing' on that song. I have never heard anything remotely Santana on WOAF.

Taylor can be heard quite obvious in both Tops and WOAF. He never sued the Stones for it, it's arranged out of court. Apperently he received a lump sum of $150.000 for the two songs.

Mathijs

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 26, 2008 13:19

Mathijs
skipstone

Taylor can be heard quite obvious in both Tops and WOAF. He never sued the Stones for it, it's arranged out of court. Apperently he received a lump sum of $150.000 for the two songs.

Mathijs

He certainly had every intention of suing the Stones, at least according to this clip from NME in 1981:

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 26, 2008 13:30

The article doesn't say that Taylors claim was limited to his Tattoo You contributions.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 26, 2008 13:42

Thanks for the clarification Mathijs. $150,000 doesn't seem like very much though does it?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 26, 2008 14:05

Zack
Thanks for the clarification Mathijs. $150,000 doesn't seem like very much though does it?

I'll gladly play a couple of tunes for that sum.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 26, 2008 16:58

As the story goes he and Billy Preston told the Stones management they would sue if necessary, and then it was settled out of court.

$150.000 in '81 is something like $1 million in current money, and that's a fair sum for a two-day session you did 9 years ago I would say.

Mathijs

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 26, 2008 18:59

Mathijs

$150.000 in '81 is something like $1 million in current money, and that's a fair sum for a two-day session you did 9 years ago I would say.

Mathijs

According to this site [data.bls.gov] $150,000.00 in 1981 would equal $350,536.00 today.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 26, 2008 18:59

you can hear taylor playing an arpegio throughout waiting on a friend ,and what a classic killer solo with the trademark superstar vibrato on tops .absolutly killer .this guy playing is GENIUS and his tone is out of this world good(i love ronnie wood also )

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 26, 2008 20:09

Mick T. He left so why should he get any credit..........Is there any doubt that the true talent behind this band is Mick and Keith? They managed to replace Brian, Mick T and Bill Wyman. There music has really never suffered as a result. The Glimmer Twins are the constant factor. Mick Taylor is a moron for leaving in my book. I quit the Rolling Stones........What a genius. Yes he is a lovely guitarist but beyond that he does not offer much. Miss his live playing in the Stones though.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 26, 2008 20:12

TATTOO YOU is notorious for being VERY VAGUE about who played on what songs... I guess the Stones (AKA Mick Jagger) wanted everyone to think it was all new and recorded around the same period....."Left Overs" don't sound so good I suppose...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 26, 2008 20:29

Tattoo You isn't vague--it's completely silent.

There are no musician credits.

On the record label it stated that some mixes were by Bob Clearmountain and some by Gary Lyons--but it doesn't specify who did what .

The only images of the Stones are of Mick and Keith on the front and back covers.

I would be nice if a future edition had full track-by-track listings.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 26, 2008 20:58

Yeah, "silent" would be more accurate.... should also slap on CRISS CROSS MIND... what a song to just leave in the vaults - BAD decision making on someone's part....

Date: December 26, 2008 22:13

grinning smiley Now this guy knows his Stones...

slew
Mick T. He left so why should he get any credit..........Is there any doubt that the true talent behind this band is Mick and Keith? They managed to replace Brian, Mick T and Bill Wyman. There music has really never suffered as a result. The Glimmer Twins are the constant factor. Mick Taylor is a moron for leaving in my book. I quit the Rolling Stones........What a genius. Yes he is a lovely guitarist but beyond that he does not offer much. Miss his live playing in the Stones though.

Date: December 26, 2008 22:19

I love Tattoo You. Its one of my favorite albums. Mick Jagger put this one together, and thank god he did. And think about all the stuff that my be laying around in the can from years ago.

I read somewhere that some of these gems were recorded in 1980 for Tatto You. You could all do the research with me here.

[www.stonessessions.com]

I own the first edition of this book. Its really great.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 26, 2008 23:22

First off, a quick look at Rolling Stone Magazine or Creem from 1981 (not to mention Bill German's Beggars Banquet fanzine) makes it clear the Stones were not hiding the fact that they had overdubbed and remixed a slew of unfinished outtakes. One of Jagger's remarks at the time (I believe in Creem) was that his attitude was any ex-bandmembers or session musicians were paid at the time and he couldn't be bothered to put together the complete list of who did what so he left the credits off rather than risking missing someone. Taylor's $150K settlement also included a guest spot in Kansas City. Wayne Perkins subsequently sued and also settled out of court over "Worried About You."

Gary Lyons handled two mixes only, but since he never worked on GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK AND BLUE, SOME GIRLS, or EMOTIONAL RESCUE its impossible to guess which two tracks are his. Jagger's claims that he singlehandedly brought the LP together with help from Chris Kimsey and Bob Clearmountain is probably a bit disingenuous. Mick and Keith first gathered at Island Records in London to listen to SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtakes in September 1980. The band did some overdubbing and remixing in Paris and New York in October and November. While Mick was busy shooting FITZCARRALDO in Peru, Keith was at Compass Point recording guitar and bass overdubs (as well as handclaps and backing vocals) for many of the songs in early 1981. Mick and Keith then worked together (reportedly with much disharmony) at Atlantic Records in New York between March and June of 1981 to finish up the album. It is fair to say that Woody and Bill were largely absent (Woody was out in LA working on his "1,2,3,4" LP as well as doing session work for Ringo and Dylan while Bill was scoring the film GREEN ICE and starting work on a solo LP), but Mick and Keith added a great deal of lyrics, vocals, instrumental overdubs (bringing in the likes of Sonny Rollins) to finish up the album. This is not METAMORPHOSIS VOLUME TWO by a longshot. Yes, Mr. Taylor's playing is there on both tracks as clear as Wayne Perkins' solo on "Worried About You," but everything else around the tracks was new.

Date: December 27, 2008 02:28

I'm gonna have to listen to WOAF much closer to figure out what MT is doing.

As an album, it's fantastic. But take the tracks off and put them on the albums they were started for and suddenly those albums become that much better.

It's amazing really. I would tend to think that there were many more songs that were worked on for Tattoo You.

It's also possibly the last real A and B side album released in terms of vibe.

Regardless, it's a stunning album and certainly one of their best period.

Date: January 8, 2009 02:50

Mathijs

Mathijs

According to Martin Elliott's boon on Stones Recording Sessions...Waiting on a friend was recorder in 1981, one of th few tunes recorded for the album Tattoo You along with Heaven and Neighbors. Others

Start me Up 1977/78 Paris
Black Limo 77/78
Tops 72/73 Jamaica (only Taylor contribution)
Slave 74/75 Black N Blue Sessions
Worried About you 74/75 Germany
Hang fire 77/78 Paris
Little T&A 79/80 Bahamas
No Use in crying 79/80 Bahamas

Unfortunately Mick Taylor didn't play on all of these songs, except Tops.

Date: January 8, 2009 05:51

I still think Start Me Up is from the Black And Blue sessions. The sound of the drums and guitars is certainly not Some Girls/Emotional Rescue. It has the same sound as Slave and Worried About You to it.

Date: January 8, 2009 05:58

i was recently listening to some don nix with wayne perkins playing

i really think they should have gone with perkins over wood...

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 9, 2009 12:01

skipstone
I still think Start Me Up is from the Black And Blue sessions. The sound of the drums and guitars is certainly not Some Girls/Emotional Rescue. It has the same sound as Slave and Worried About You to it.

They recorded the first versions of Start Up during the B&B sessions ["Never Stop"] and then tried it again during the Some Girls/Emotinal Rescue period. Keith claims that this was the time when - among many Reggae-style takes - a "Rock"-version was recorded which they rediscovered later when browsing through piles of tapes, preparing Tattoo You. Don't know if they re-recorded the track in 1980 or if they were just doing overdubs, though.

I agree that SMU sounds different from your typical Some Girls track. But this applies to most tracks on Tattoo You. Maybe the overdubbing, remixing and re-recording did do something here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-09 12:13 by Greenblues.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 9, 2009 12:25

Does the MickTaylor "settlement" mean he doesn't now get any further Stones royalties?
Would the Universal deal chane that?
I would assume Bill still does, also the Brian Jones Estate.
When the Beatles Anthology series came out, even Pete Best got some royalties!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home