Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Semi-OT: Aerosmith's Joe Perry's version of Run Rudolph Run
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: December 19, 2008 19:20

From AeroforceOne

17-Dec-08 Listen to Joe Perry's Version of "Run Rudolph Run" Check out Joe Perry's version of "Run, Rudolph Run." He recently recorded it in the Boneyard. Joe has always loved Chuck Berry's and Keith Richards' version of this song and has wanted to record it for years now. He also wants to share it with all the fans right here at AF1.

Open the link and you can listen to it: http://www.aeroforceone.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/1068342/pid/302766

cool smileyI think it's very good, honestly, but still, nothing tops Keith's version of this classic rock'n'roll Christmas tune! Joe did a really nice job, though. Good stuff.
smiling smiley

Re: Semi-OT: Aerosmith's Joe Perry's version of Run Rudolph Run
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 19, 2008 19:29

Run Rudolph Run/Pressure Drop if the best solo single of any of the Stones' members. but this is nice as well, thanks for sharing CharliMoon!

(it's missing lotta craziness from Keith's version)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 19:30 by Amused.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 19, 2008 20:44

He's a huge Keith fan, bigger than we probably know.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 19, 2008 20:59

Some serious good shit going on there

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:04

Not bad at all...but,I still like keef's better...

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:32

I think Joe Perry is possibly rocks greatest guitarist right now, and we're about to see him prove it to the world with their upcoming album

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:58

What a ripoff...totally unoriginal.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:00

What do ya mean, unoriginal?? Of course its unoriginal, Keiths was unoriginal and its all great stuff BUT its all Chuck Berry! Just enjoy it IMO.

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:29

Thank you... it's an awesome and timely cover.... it's pathetic to call it a ripoff

Date: December 20, 2008 05:00

It's pathetic to copy the Stones' every move as Aerosmith have done since the early '70's.
It's also pathetic to claim Joe Perry is "rocks greatest guitarist right now". Are you serious?

Posted by: aerostone ()
Date: December 20, 2008 05:20

Joe Perry is absolutly one of the frontrunners for rocks greatest current guitarist. How can you be serious to deny that??? Have you listened to music recently?? Also, Aerosmith copied every move of the Stones? Not even close... I mean they have their similarities, (they're both awesome rock bands with similar lineup types), but Aero have stuck strictly to blues based rock, where the Stones have ventured elsewhere, and Aero have always remained true to their genuinely badass image and music, where the Stones have strayed. I dont mean to knock the Stones, but I dont know how many ways to explain that the 2 bands are very different.

Date: December 20, 2008 06:01

Hairball
It's pathetic to copy the Stones' every move as Aerosmith have done since the early '70's.
It's also pathetic to claim Joe Perry is "rocks greatest guitarist right now". Are you serious?

having a bad night?

lighten up man... joe perry is one of the good guys!

Date: December 20, 2008 06:30

Bad night? No...but I had a bad day. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Here's a great one from Aerosmith in all their glory, back in '74 when they still mattered.

Cheers!smileys with beer

Date: December 20, 2008 06:40

Another great tune that brings back alot of high school memories...from Rocks...Combination (*audio only).

Date: December 20, 2008 16:48

And they still have every fu.ckin bit of that energy... it's incredible

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 20, 2008 18:02

Well, Steven and Joe DEFINATELY were doing the Mick and Keith show visually especially in the late 70s. Check out the inside of the(1978) LIVE BOOTLEG! album. Joe wearing the scarf around the head and oversized cowboy boots with pants tucked in,you can see Keith in the same get up 75-76. And Steven STILL is into the pantsuits isnt he? But musically I've always put them alot closer to the Yardbirds sound(which I know isnt THAT different but still) IMHO.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 20, 2008 20:40

I'm a huge Aerosmith fan up to the Pump album but this is a really soulless version that strikes me being more about Joe proving he can play all the instruments than anything else. It's too long, doesn't swing like Keith's version and the vocals are empty and devoid of the most important ingredient in this song, fun. Sorry but a miss for me.

Date: December 20, 2008 23:27

Welcome.

Joe's version misses the raunchiness of Keith's. It's more polished, more "straight", true, but still I find it very good and rocking.
Joe's a huge Keith fan, as everyone knows, so he can't be a bad guy (apart from that he has lovely hair in that clip from '74 *lol*).

I wouldn't exactly say Joe is rock's greatest guitarist right now, however, it can't be denied that he's really very good and his playing is great.
Aerosmith's my second favourite band in the world. In my opinion, though, they lack a bit of the energy they had back in the 70s. That's a natural thing, cause they're getting older, too, so I have no problem with it. They still do awesome shows and can still play and they still can sing (although there definitely is no doubt Tyler's a lot better at that one than Perry spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

aerostone
Aero have stuck strictly to blues based rock, where the Stones have ventured elsewhere,

Don't quite agree with this. Aero did a lot of pop stuff since the late 80s. (i.e. Angel, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Jaded)
They ventured a bit as well.

All in all, basically I don't think you can really compare them to each other cause they're two entirely different bands, although Aerosmith definitely copied a lot from the Stones (which is no wonder, cause the Stones are the maestros of rock and I can imagine most groups that followed back then wanted to be a bit like them.)
The thing they have most in common, though, are probably their lead singers' lips. *lol*

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 21, 2008 00:01

Keith's version, like the original, swings. That's the difference and the magic.

Date: December 21, 2008 00:04

In case anyone's interested, there's a link for youtube where you can watch a video of making this stuff in the Boneyard (link below the article):

Aerosmith's Joe Perry is on the 'Run'
Jed Gottlieb By Jed Gottlieb
Saturday, December 20, 200

Aerosmith doesn't quite fit between "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Silent Night." But neither does Chuck Berry, and he managed to duck walk his way through maybe the best Christmas tune of the rock era with "Run Rudolph Run."

In a tribute to Berry, and as a Christmas present to Aerosmith fans everywhere, axeman Joe Perry has recorded a version of the song that can be downloaded free at www.aeroforceone.com.

"It's my favorite Christmas song," Perry told the Herald yesterday from his home in Duxbury. "I went down to Skippy White's every Christmas to buy a new 45 of it because I always managed to wear it out or lose it each year."

Perry's never made a secret of his love for Chuck Berry - or of Keith Richards, who Perry says does the second best version of "Run Rudolph Run."

Recorded at his home studio, the Boneyard, with engineer Paul Santo on drums and keyboards, "Run Rudolph Run" was put together during breaks from Aerosmith writing sessions. The band is trying to wrap up preproduction on its latest album before a Feb. 1 gig in Caracas, Venezuela. Then the Boston bad boys hope to finish recording the album before a world tour beginning in early summer.

"(Finishing the album) is at the top of our list right now," Perry said. "I come out of the basement with something every day, and we have a pretty good pile of stuff to work through."

A fresh YouTube clip of the song and its recording sessions will be up in the next 24 hours, Perry said.

"If you look at the video closely you can see an ice bag taped to my knee," he said, referencing his recent surgery. "But don't worry. I'll be 100 percent by next year."

[www.youtube.com]

He truly is one of the good guys.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 21, 2008 00:06

Hairball
Another great tune that brings back alot of high school memories...from Rocks...Combination (*audio only).

Rocks is a great album. Nobody's Fault is the best song on that album. Too bad they never play that stuff live.

Just listened to RRR. Definitely rocks hard. Of course it's not as good as Keith or Chuck. But better than the 200 other cover versions of it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-21 00:15 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 21, 2008 00:20

berry songs are always better with dancing girls and togas...always loved dave's version of rudolph as the best cover (nothing tops chucks' original)...keith's # 3, right ahead of the dead's live versions from '71...

Date: December 21, 2008 01:17

Incredible that A-smith has yet found another, even more blatant way to monkey the Stones. I like A-smith okay; but to call Joe Perry one of rock's great guitARRISTRS IS CRAZY imo. To me his guitar playing has always been the weakest thing in Aerosmith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2008 01:32

Joe the plumber ....Joe the guitarist....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2008 02:36

Your so wrong to think perry isnt a great guitarist... he's incredibly UNDERrated

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: December 21, 2008 03:36

Hairball
What a ripoff...totally unoriginal.

I'm sick the way people express theirselves about artists.
You need to make a better version than Joe Perry's by yourself and then you say something.

Date: December 21, 2008 03:45

mexicostone
I'm sick the way people express theirselves about artists.
You need to make a better version than Joe Perry's by yourself and then you say something.

Tired of hearing people expressing themselves about artists? Well it's called freedom of speech,
and any artist worth their salt should be able to handle any criticism sent their way.
It's the fans that have the thin skin.

For the record, I have heard Keiths recorded version played backwards, and it's still miles ahead of this fluff.

Posted by: NoMistake ()
Date: December 21, 2008 03:48

what a borinn guitarist. He should stick to his boring amarican psy band

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 21, 2008 03:59

great video from Aerosmith

Posted by: NoMistake ()
Date: December 21, 2008 04:03

what a plastic rockn roll guitarist.. He loves keith richards but he sounds like duran duran

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home