Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T - New album announced from U2
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 19, 2008 11:16

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Irish rockers U2 are to release their new album in early March 2009, it has been announced.

No Line On The Horizon is the group's 12th studio album and their first since 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

It was originally expected to be released by the end of 2008, but the band announced in September they would keep writing more tunes.

The album will be released on 2 March internationally and a day later in North America.

'Versions and incarnations'

The band began work on the album a couple of years ago with US producer Rick Rubin, who is best known for working with Run DMC, Johnny Cash, Beastie Boys, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

However, these initial sessions were eventually shelved.

"We actually laid all that stuff to one side," guitarist The Edge told Mojo magazine last month. "None of the Rick material went into this project. Everything has been written subsequently."

However, the star added the band will "get back to the material we started with Rick at some point".

Long-time collaborators Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, were drafted in, recording in Morocco, New York, London and the bands own studio in Dublin.

When asked what the album sounds like The Edge said: "It's a record of two halves. One half is songs that came virtually fully-formed out of sessions we did with Brian and Danny.

"Then the other half is material we've kicked around a while and went through the usual cycle of versions and incarnations.

"It sounds like a U2 album but it doesn't sound like anything we've done before and it doesn't really sound like anything that's happening at the moment."

The group's last record sold more than 9m copies worldwide, and picked up eight Grammy awards, including album of the year and best rock song for lead single Vertigo.

Re: O.T - New album announced from U2
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 13:57

Let's hope it is a good news, but what is mentioned above, they say is about each new album:

"It sounds like a U2 album but it doesn't sound like anything we've done before and it doesn't really sound like anything that's happening at the moment."

Yet they didn't do anything really new and innovative during the last 10 years. Not that I wouldn't like their last 2 albums, they are great, but...Achtung Baby was their peak, no doubt.

Date: December 19, 2008 14:20

Happy24
Achtung Baby was their peak, no doubt.

agree

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 14:48

And I would argue about the one before bomb - what was that, All That I can't leave behind? - being good. I never listen to that one. Never understood what the critics saw in it. Subsequently I didn't bother getting Bomb although I loved Vertigo.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 19, 2008 15:12

VoodooLounge13
And I would argue about the one before bomb - what was that, All That I can't leave behind? - being good. I never listen to that one. Never understood what the critics saw in it. Subsequently I didn't bother getting Bomb although I loved Vertigo.

I'm with you, V. You've summed up in two short lines exactly what I think about U2.

I'll get this new album, despite my reservations. The leaked stuff sounds terrific. I got into U2 at Achtung Baby and stayed with them until All You Can't Leave Behind. That last album reminded me of all the albums they'd made up to Achtung - those big, anthemic, hollow chest beaters. I hated them then. Really really effin' hated 'em.

Achtung Baby through to Pop though was a grand reinvention. The songs were brilliant, the ethics corrupt, the presentation so silly and overblown you had to laugh - but with and not at them.

I hope we get a version of THAT U2 back now. The music industry's collapsing. CD sales are going through the floor. Everyone's stealing. Now is the right time for them to make challenging, experimental, mould breaking music again.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: December 19, 2008 17:15

Interesting. I'm always torn between the experimentation and uniqueness of Achtung Baby and the sheer awesomeness of the Joshua Tree. Not as innovative, but I think its their peak. Early U2, from Boy to Joshua Tree is really something else.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 19, 2008 17:48

I have to pretty much agree with Nikolai.... To me, U2 pretty much started with RATTLE AND HUM but it was ACHTUNG BABY that really turned me into a giant fan - the first time I saw the Video for THE FLY it just knocked my socks off (Great song, great video)..... I did go back and eventually get JOSHUA TREE (a worn out album, some of those songs I just have heard way too many times - STILL HAVEN'T FOUND, WITH OR WITHOUT YOU, STREETS HAVE NO NAMES, etc) and the CD's with PRIDE and SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY were pretty good but the 90's and beyond version of U2 has been the much more interesting one IMO.

With that said I have a bad feeling about this new one, it's been delayed over and over and over again and I get the feeling the group has kinda lost direction - there's basically NO LINE ON THE HORIZON smiling smiley. 5 years between albums is a hell of a long time and U2 is getting to one of those points were they're going to have to drastically "reinvent themselves" again or they might just start sounding very old and tired and..... repeating themselves over and over... I don't know why but I feel the way I did before POP came out, one of their weaker efforts IMHO.... We'll see, should have stuck to a November release as was planned - it's a slow rock and roll season... A double album/CD at this point might have been a smart move, break it up a bit, like The Beatles "White Album" and "Exile" did....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 17:51 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 19, 2008 18:07

I always liked 'Pop.' It is dark, it has some dance beats, but it is also a driving guitar album.

While I have liked the last two releases, I agree that the band's description of what the album will sound like has not been accurate. ATYCLB was supposed to be a modern sounding, innovative, less radio-friendly album, and it turned out to be their most pop-radio sounding album ever. Still good stuff, but not all that risky.

The Edge says it "sounds like U2," which of course the fans want, yet is fresh and not like anything else. Of course it does.

What is he going to say, "Well, we didn't really get it together for this one, so it's mostly just a lot of scraps pieced together... pretty much sounds like our other stuff, you know, not anything to get excited about. Bono's voice has less range these days, and I'm quite out of practice. This one is kind of a tosser." ??

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 19, 2008 19:26

I guess this means The Edge won't be joining Ringo Starr's All Starr Band anytime soon?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 19, 2008 20:10

I welcome a new U2 album.

I LIKE U2; I like Bono; I like the Edge, along with all of his twiddly knobs and pedals that help produce such wierd and wonderful sounds; I can even tolerate those two dummies behind them who provide such wonderful time-keeping; I like playing an album of theirs to death for six months and then never playing that same album ever again because of their modern but transient here-today-forgotten-about-tomorrow approach to music.

Perhaps more importantly, I can admire them for at least daring to give us the illusion that three chords can still somehow change the world we live in.

Growing up in the sixties, I was naieve enough to believe that music really COULD change the world, and make it a better place to live, though sadly, one-by-one, many of those dreams were shattered.

U2 have always had the best of intentions - however naieve - and they have never been slow to praise and thank others in the music world; Bono has been big-hearted and open in equal measures.

So be careful before you pour scorn upon this good man.

...and remember that cynicism can NEVER be a substitute for wisdom.

Date: December 19, 2008 20:56

....but Barn Owl, I strongly believe they still haven't found what they're looking for..... Also, what kind of "new" direction can this next album go in?.... I feel they've kind of hit a dead end (as has their USA counter part PEARL JAM and, isn't that (growing up in the 60's) a VERY long life for an owl? Are you really, truly a Barn Owl?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:44

Barn Owl says:

I'd bet my last tray of bird seed that with SOME tracks at least, U2 will be attempting to venture out into some new direction or other, even though the Atomic Bomb album seemed to offer a general indication that they might have finally settled down into adopting something of a mixture of previous styles.

The problem however, is whether their settled, ageing audiences are willing (or able) to still go with them towards new types/genres of music.

...perhaps not

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:51

As someone who has been a fan of theirs from a very young age, I must say that the last album and tour was a complete failure in my opinion. The 1st time I saw them was in 1997 on the PopMart tour. Great songs, and like the poster said above, we were all laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Then, All That You Can't Leave Behind, good album, too tame for my tastes though I must say. The tour was very good though, they didn't play it safe, brought out "Stay" from Zooropa as well as 4-5 Pop songs and even, a few times (including one which I attended) In God's Country. Then along came all of the BS about wanting to be the biggest band in the world again...who cares? The last tour was bad in more ways than one. The crowds they attracted by trying again to be the "Biggest Band in the World" were horrendous, no songs from POP, the same 4 songs from The Joshua Tree. The same stage practically from the Elevation Tour. Yes, they brought back Gloria which was great, and several Boy songs, but none of the new fans knew them. They really need to get their collective shit together this time and realize that IPOD ads, and being able to buy a replica of Bono's jacket at a show means nothing and that they need to do something original again.

Even the Stones dig back all of the time, I mean "She Was Hot", "Worried About You","Sweet Virginia", "Love is Strong","Connection","Sway" and others were at least marched out from time to time on the last tour. Regardless of the warhorses they usually throw in something off the beaten path or remotely rare. They don't ignore entire portions of their history. Thats how I feel about it, and also why my respect level for Mick,Charlie,Ronnie and Keith has gone from a level equal to that of U2, to above...way above.

Date: December 19, 2008 21:58

Barn Owl, I must say, you are always very wise. You seem to provide sanity in an insane world. As long as we have the Barn Owl on this planet there's no need for people like Oprah to make the world right. Thank you Barn Owl. Sincerely, Helter (Thumbs Up Anthony)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 22:00 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 19, 2008 22:14

Anthony
As someone who has been a fan of theirs from a very young age, I must say that the last album and tour was a complete failure in my opinion. The 1st time I saw them was in 1997 on the PopMart tour. Great songs, and like the poster said above, we were all laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Then, All That You Can't Leave Behind, good album, too tame for my tastes though I must say. The tour was very good though, they didn't play it safe, brought out "Stay" from Zooropa as well as 4-5 Pop songs and even, a few times (including one which I attended) In God's Country. Then along came all of the BS about wanting to be the biggest band in the world again...who cares? The last tour was bad in more ways than one. The crowds they attracted by trying again to be the "Biggest Band in the World" were horrendous, no songs from POP, the same 4 songs from The Joshua Tree. The same stage practically from the Elevation Tour. Yes, they brought back Gloria which was great, and several Boy songs, but none of the new fans knew them. They really need to get their collective shit together this time and realize that IPOD ads, and being able to buy a replica of Bono's jacket at a show means nothing and that they need to do something original again.

Even the Stones dig back all of the time, I mean "She Was Hot", "Worried About You","Sweet Virginia", "Love is Strong","Connection","Sway" and others were at least marched out from time to time on the last tour. Regardless of the warhorses they usually throw in something off the beaten path or remotely rare. They don't ignore entire portions of their history. Thats how I feel about it, and also why my respect level for Mick,Charlie,Ronnie and Keith has gone from a level equal to that of U2, to above...way above.

Anthony, you're wise. I didn't get the Bomb album and - obviously - gave the tour a wide berth. Better things to do, better people to see. I gather Bomb had a troubled gestation and recording process. Sounds like this album hasn't been any easier.

I do think it's high time for acts like U2 to indulge their experimental bent now, because no one's actually expecting them to shift more than a couple of million units. The days of 16 million album sales are done, until the music industry and online providers find a way of curbing illegal downloading and start selling whole albums as downloads, as opposed to offering tracks on an individual basis.

The thing that p-ssed me off about All That You Can't etc etc, was that it was a retreat from the experimentation, humour and deep deep irony of the previous four albums (I'm counting Passengers here). They found their way back up their asses and became exceptionally boring and predictable again.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: December 20, 2008 06:38

New album might look like this

Tracklist

01 No Line On The Horizon
02 If I Could Live My Life Again
03 Get On Your Boots (New Single)
04 Lead Me In The Way I Should Go
05 Unknown Caller
06 The Cedars Of Lebanon
07 Mercy
08 Love Is All We Have Left
09 Moment Of Surrender
10 You Can't Give Away Your Heart
11 For Your Love
12 Stand Up

Not Official

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-20 06:40 by U2Stonesfan.

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: December 20, 2008 06:53

Thanks Helter and Nikolai, glad I'm not the only one!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 22:13

Barn Owl
I welcome a new U2 album.

I LIKE U2; I like Bono; I like the Edge, along with all of his twiddly knobs and pedals that help produce such wierd and wonderful sounds; I can even tolerate those two dummies behind them who provide such wonderful time-keeping; I like playing an album of theirs to death for six months and then never playing that same album ever again because of their modern but transient here-today-forgotten-about-tomorrow approach to music.

Perhaps more importantly, I can admire them for at least daring to give us the illusion that three chords can still somehow change the world we live in.

Growing up in the sixties, I was naieve enough to believe that music really COULD change the world, and make it a better place to live, though sadly, one-by-one, many of those dreams were shattered.

U2 have always had the best of intentions - however naieve - and they have never been slow to praise and thank others in the music world; Bono has been big-hearted and open in equal measures.

So be careful before you pour scorn upon this good man.

...and remember that cynicism can NEVER be a substitute for wisdom.

Well, Barn Owl, I can not say that I would fully agree with everything you wrote, but...I like your statements...I hope the new album won't disappoint us. But as I wrote above - I don't believe it could beat the Achtung Baby. Let's wait and see...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 23, 2008 00:01

The Queen of Ireland is stil making records? How can she find the time to make records when she's singlehandedly saving the wairld and never letting us forget it?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 23, 2008 12:12

U2 were experimental on Passengers, which was suppose to be their next album but the record company chicken out on it and renamed them.

I saw them 3 times Joshua Tree, Zoo TV and Pop. The Pop tour gig was awful, they'd totally lost the plot music and presentation wise.

Quite like All You Can't .... album but don't feel the need t orevisit them live. Will buy the new CD though.

Posted by: aerostone ()
Date: December 23, 2008 15:35

This will be an absolutley incredible album release and tour... world changing

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 23, 2008 15:41

aerostone
This will be an absolutley incredible album release and tour... world changing

Its comforting to know that the global financial meltdown will be singlehandedly overturned by a collection of songs

Date: December 23, 2008 16:06

You think it could take care of the financial issues?

Date: December 23, 2008 16:12

aerostone
You think it could take care of the financial issues?

maybe - but i'd wager, it's going to persuade
Robert Mugabe to end the suffering of the Zimbabwean people.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 23, 2008 16:46

Can't agree w/ GR that the PopMart tour was "awful." I thought it was a great U2 show. I saw them in July '97 in Foxboro, MA and it was a fantastic show. Better thasn the Joshua Tree show in '87, and better than the ATYCLB show in 2001, and better than the Vertigo show I saw in 2005. The PopMart tour was famously misunderstood... U2 was poking fun at the notion of selling out by actually selling out... The golden arch over the stage was quite symbolic, along with the lemon and olive... Bono even listed the cost of each stage prop to the audience while on stage. The music from Pop was dark and gritty... but fans in America wanted a return to Joshua Tree days, and when your culture is built on glitz and glamour, jokes about it don't go over that well. The tour was still a success (the show I was at sold out, as did MOST of the others)... but did not have the universal appeal U2 was used to.

I hope U2 has gone artistically where they want to. Who cares about commercial success when you're millionaires? I think U2's last two albums have been too much about pleasing fans. Though they both were good albums...Just make good music, U2. I hope Aerostone is right!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 23, 2008 17:58

Achtung will never be topped.

Zooropa was an excellent hangover of ZOO TV and a fantastic follow up to Achtung.

Pop - I liked Pop, still do...but I don't like it. If that makes sense. Saw that tour. Dug it. But didn't care for it. And I think I figured out why: Before ZOO TV they were just a band on a stage, very simple. Then came ZOO TV with the 'over the top' presentation that was most excellent. I think they tried to top that with PopMart.

It didn't work. It was too much. And just too silly.

Seemingly they figured that out and went back to a more slimmed down basic stage presentation with ATYCLB, which I thought was a really good album, even better than Joshua Tree. Maybe. All I know is I hardly listen to JT.

Atomic Bomb is a good album but some of it feels forced. But it does have some great melodies. And a lot of 'classic' U2 things going on it.

They're a good band. They write good songs. They have some great songs. Every album has some great songs and some good songs and songs that leave me thinking B-side.

Their set lists - I guess they are to the point now of, obviously, playing their warhorses, that whole Sunday Bloody Sunday,New Years Day and the Joshua Tree hits, Desire (I prefer Angel Of Harlem) and One.

But I think they still challenge their fans with playing a lot of whatever new album. They certainly don't just do one or two and then fall back on tired boring yawning songs and hardly play them as it is.

If you know who I'm talking about.

I look forward to the new album. Nothing will ever have the anticipation as Achtung had. That was just nuts.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 23, 2008 18:46

skipstone
Their set lists - I guess they are to the point now of, obviously, playing their warhorses, that whole Sunday Bloody Sunday,New Years Day and the Joshua Tree hits, Desire (I prefer Angel Of Harlem) and One.

But I think they still challenge their fans with playing a lot of whatever new album. They certainly don't just do one or two and then fall back on tired boring yawning songs and hardly play them as it is.

If you know who I'm talking about.

Yes I know what you're talking about. U2 always play quite a lot from their new cd releases, unlike the Stones. Although U2 are about15 to 20 years behind the Stones in career length.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 23, 2008 22:32

Another interesting point to U2 playing their new albums - sometimes they do songs that you think they wouldn't do, for whatever reason. For instance, Love Is Blindness. If You Wear That Velvet Dress. I guess a part of that is they are slower songs than the big ones, the hit songs, the popular LP tracks (Until The End Of The World, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc...) so they seem to have a vested interest in having the album live through playing it. It lets you know they are not just about the hits.

I think that's what cements their reputation for their tours, how it keeps the fans interested because the band is interested. It's obvious. The Stones did that with Bridges, playing something long like Out Of Control. Who'd of thought that THAT would become such a monster? They played, what, I think Gazza said 7 songs total from Bang - but they didn't stick with them in the shows.

I think that means a lot. They made the album - play it. They felt good enough about the songs on the album to release it. So why not play them? That's always bugged me about the big named acts that do tend to play it safe. If I wanted safe I wouldn't step outside my door. Keith was all amped up about the songs on Dirty Work, taking them to the stage so they could be alive. Yet they've only done, what, two songs from that album? OK so its time has been long past. Why should they care if the audience likes them or not? If they do a great job of playing unknown songs, showing that they do in fact care and want to play them, then the audience, I think, gets it.

That's how I've always felt about bands doing the lesser known tunes. JUST PLAY THEM. I think that's why some of us go off with these dream set lists and none of the warhorses are in them sometimes - because there are so many great songs.

Date: December 24, 2008 02:57

I dont understand why you guy's bash U2 on this board... they're a tremendous, veteran live act

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 24, 2008 04:01

can you point out the 'bashing' in this thread? I seem to have missed it.

Compared to most mentions of u2 on this board, its actually quite positive.

And certainly no more off the mark than suggesting their album and tour is going to be some earth shaking event

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home