Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Letter to Bill Wyman
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 18, 2008 00:42

Dear Bill

Talking about the Hampton show in 81, a show we all have heard. It’s a great show to my ears – to plenty of ears – for me what makes the show so great it’s the rythm section. The chemistry between Charlie and you was as much a part of the Stones as any other within the group – an essential part of the band. The 81 tour was the last time the Stones had that swing. Charlie and you played so good on that tour.

I miss you Bill Wyman. You dirty old man.

Daryl is a great musician. Heard his stuff with Miles Davis when he was a kid, saw him play with Sting. Seen him with the Stones a bunch of times, I was in Joe Robbie Stadium 94’- a great show too. The version of Tumblin Dice from that show is one of the best ever. But he is no Bill Wyman. He is not a “band” musician. He hasn’t played with Charlie since the beginning, he doesn’t swing like you. He is just there. - Oh the great Daryl Jones. He is no character. But he is awesome, and it’s great he has lasted so long. Fifteen years!!! Better to have many changes in the engine room.

Why did you leave Bill? You still play great; you still strong. Miss you man. I miss your groove. I miss you standing there Stone faced, Charlie and you grooving away.

Bless you Bill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 01:19 by Loudei.

Re: Letter to William Perks
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 18, 2008 00:53

bill is what i call a "lyrical" player....macca is too. joey spampinato would have filled the bill (pun intended)...he's a lyrical type, as well.

for those that don't understand what the stones lost when they lost bill, i don't know what to tell them...either you get it or you don't....band has never been the same.....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 18, 2008 00:53

Loudei
The 81 tour was the last time the Stones had that swing.

They were still swinging on Steel Wheels, to my ears.

Re: Letter to Bill Wyman
Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 18, 2008 01:48

They bigtime had it on the bridges tour also... the stones having it nowadays pretty much depends on Keiths ability to shred on the guitar

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 18, 2008 01:51

Why did he leave?

The thrill had gone.

But thinkyourself lucky - hae ahad originally been going to leave in '82.

Totally agree T&A and regarding Spampinato too - his contributions on B2B bear that out.

Date: December 18, 2008 01:57

Four Stone Walls
Totally agree T&A and regarding Spampinato too - his contributions on B2B bear that out.

his work with nrbq had always reminded of bill's swinging style and further evidence was found on the two talk is cheap trax he played on - coulda stood u up and rockawhile....it don't mean a thing if ain't got that swing....

Date: December 18, 2008 03:23

It was him on B2B, wasn't it? (Flip The Switch and Too Tight).

He played on Could have Stood You Up? So that's why it's my favourite from that album!

Date: December 18, 2008 03:35

Four Stone Walls
It was him on B2B, wasn't it? (Flip The Switch and Too Tight).

damn...you made me look!

nope - it was somebody named Jeff Sarli....well done, Jeffster!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 18, 2008 05:23

T&A
bill is what i call a "lyrical" player....macca is too. .

I think its interesting that even though the Beatles and Stones music and albums are so different, one thing that both of their sounds have in common is they had a great rhythm section, Macca and Ringo and Wyman and Watts.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:22

Jeff Sarli played with John Mooney among other people. He died. He was AWESOME.

Date: December 18, 2008 12:07

Thanks T&A, (my B2B is on the East Coast).

Well Jeff Sarli certainly 'swang'.

John Mooney? Never heard of him. Though I once knew a Paul Mooney (and a Paul Clarke) - and a whole host of Johns.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2008 14:53

Loudei
Talking about the Hampton show in 81, a show we all have heard. It’s a great show to my ears – to plenty of ears – for me what makes the show so great it’s the rythm section. The chemistry between Charlie and you was as much a part of the Stones as any other within the group – an essential part of the band. The 81 tour was the last time the Stones had that swing. Charlie and you played so good on that tour.

I miss you Bill Wyman. You dirty old man.

Daryl is a great musician. Heard his stuff with Miles Davis when he was a kid, saw him play with Sting. Seen him with the Stones a bunch of times, I was in Joe Robbie Stadium 94’- a great show too. The version of Tumblin Dice from that show is one of the best ever. But he is no Bill Wyman. He is not a “band” musician. He hasn’t played with Charlie since the beginning, he doesn’t swing like you. He is just there. - Oh the great Daryl Jones. He is no character. But he is awesome, and it’s great he has lasted so long. Fifteen years!!! Better to have many changes in the engine room.

Why did you leave Bill? You still play great; you still strong. Miss you man. I miss your groove. I miss you standing there Stone faced, Charlie and you grooving away.

Bless you Bill

I wonder what your thoughts would be if Daryl was the Stones first bassplayer and
would have been replaced by Bill?
Bill wouldn't stand a chance,to my opinion.It's a matter of what you are used to hear.

Date: December 18, 2008 15:22

skipstone
Jeff Sarli played with John Mooney among other people. He died. He was AWESOME.

john mooney, the blues guy? didn't know that....

Date: December 18, 2008 15:44

Bless you Bill[/quote]

I wonder what your thoughts would be if Daryl was the Stones first bassplayer and
Bill wouldn't stand a chance,to my opinion.It's a matter of what you are used to hear.[/quote]

Are you serious?

Bein a better player doesn't mean anything. Rock N Roll bands , good rock n roll bands are about the chemistry of its players. The Stones forte live (one of its many fortes) is staying behind the beat, finding grooves... Charlie and Bill play better together than Charlie and Daryl, regardless how good Daryl Jones is. The Stones were built under Rock n Rolls 50's and RnB foundations... Daryl Jones is a vistuoso bass player, a jazz artist, and real pro. I wonder how many times Jones played Little Richard numbers before joining the band. Let me ask you this. You think Eddie Van Halen, or lets say Pat Metheny can play in this band? Sure they can, but is it the right chemistry?

I miss Bill Wyman not because Daryl Jones sucks ( i love him too) but because the band has been cripled ever since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-18 18:44 by Loudei.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 18, 2008 18:11

Amsterdamned
Bill wouldn't stand a chance,to my opinion.It's a matter of what you are used to hear.

Perhaps he never would have been a fan?

Date: December 18, 2008 18:14

Loudei
Bless you Bill

Bill wouldn't stand a chance,to my opinion.It's a matter of what you are used to hear.[/quote]

Are you serious?

Been a better player doesn't mean anything. Rock N Roll bands , good rock n roll bands are about the chemistry of its players. The Stones forte live (one of its many fortes) is staying behind the beat, finding grooves... Charlie and Bill play better together than Charlie and Daryl, regardless how good Daryl Jones is. The Stones were built under Rock n Rolls 50's and RnB foundations... Daryl Jones is a vistuoso bass player, a jazz artist, and real pro. I wonder how many times Jones played Little Richard numbers before joining the band. Let me ask you this. You think Eddie Van Halen, or lets say Pat Metheny can play in this band? Sure they can, but is it the right chemistry?

I miss Bill Wyman not because Daryl Jones sucks ( i love him too) but because the band has been cripled ever since.[/quote]

bingo

Date: December 18, 2008 19:03

Mooney is awesome. I highly recommend checking him out if one gets the chance.

Here's his site - [www.johnmooneylive.com]

The album with Sarli check out is Against The Wall. Stand out tracks - and you'll hear why Keith was so into Sarli - are Sacred Ground, Doggone Thing, Late On In The Evening and U Tol Me.

Jeff Sarli - man, there was a picture from Jazz Fest a few years ago with Mooney standing on Sarli's contra - it was quite a picture. I can't seem to find it anywhere though.

He also played on Stavin' Chain's self titled album that Mooney produced.

Date: December 18, 2008 23:21

T&A
Loudei
Bless you Bill

Are you serious?

Been a better player doesn't mean anything. Rock N Roll bands , good rock n roll bands are about the chemistry of its players. The Stones forte live (one of its many fortes) is staying behind the beat, finding grooves... Charlie and Bill play better together than Charlie and Daryl, regardless how good Daryl Jones is. The Stones were built under Rock n Rolls 50's and RnB foundations... Daryl Jones is a vistuoso bass player, a jazz artist, and real pro. I wonder how many times Jones played Little Richard numbers before joining the band. Let me ask you this. You think Eddie Van Halen, or lets say Pat Metheny can play in this band? Sure they can, but is it the right chemistry?

I miss Bill Wyman not because Daryl Jones sucks ( i love him too) but because the band has been cripled ever since.[/quote]

bingo[/quote]

Yes I'am serious:

I just like Daryl's bassplaying more than Bill's,in combination with the Stones I'am sorry...nothing wrong with Bill.
And as I said,it't a matter of taste and perception,please remember that! Darryl rocks too;why do you think the Stones have choosen him ever since Bill left?

I bet Metheny & Eddy could give chemistry to this band,they just have to adjust their playing.

I agree with you the Stones are cripled:ever since Taylor left.There was this "Yin &Yang" effect between Taylor and Richards,there was polarity!That's gone since 1974.

And I never liked Wood that much as a guitarplayer.

Date: December 19, 2008 00:19

Amsterdamned
T&A
Loudei
Bless you Bill

Are you serious?

I miss Bill Wyman not because Daryl Jones sucks ( i love him too) but because the band has been cripled ever since.

bingo[/quote]

Yes I'am serious:

I just like Daryl's bassplaying more than Bill's,in combination with the Stones I'am sorry...nothing wrong with Bill.
And as I said,it't a matter of taste and perception,please remember that! Darryl rocks too;why do you think the Stones have choosen him ever since Bill left?

I bet Metheny & Eddy could give chemistry to this band,they just have to adjust their playing.

I agree with you the Stones are cripled:ever since Taylor left.There was this "Yin &Yang" effect between Taylor and Richards,there was polarity!That's gone since 1974.

And I never liked Wood that much as a guitarplayer.[/quote]

I respect your tastes and the Stones. All I can say is I hope someday you get to feel groove am talking about. heheh

Date: December 19, 2008 00:34

skipstone,

Thanks for info on Mooney.

He played the O2 in October, and three consecutive nights at Wembley Stadium!

He's bigger than the Stones!

Date: December 19, 2008 00:39

I happen to know John and he is quite a gentleman. Glad to help you find some more kickass music! It's REAL music. Have you heard his latest album? It's fantastic.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: December 19, 2008 01:12

Daryl Jones is really good, but Bill Wyman is the best. Bill Wyman is THE bass player of the Stones.
I really miss Bill Wyman.

Date: December 19, 2008 11:44

Loudei

I respect your tastes and the Stones. All I can say is I hope someday you get to feel groove am talking about. heheh[/quote]

I felt the groove from '64 till he left.cool smiley

Date: December 19, 2008 14:30

Bärs
Amsterdamned

Perhaps he never would have been a fan?

Maybe..eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: December 19, 2008 14:42

Amsterdamned
Loudei

I respect your tastes and the Stones. All I can say is I hope someday you get to feel groove am talking about. heheh

I felt the groove from '64 till he left.cool smiley[/quote]

He was great in '63 too! : )

I LOVE his playing on 'I Wanna Be Your Man'.

Date: January 8, 2009 00:21

Been listening to NRBQ all this week. And I can understand clearly why Joey Spampinato was the Bill Wyman replacement bassist. he is playing so COOL!!!!!!!!! I would to hear this guy play with Charlie.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 9, 2009 13:25

Loudei
Been listening to NRBQ all this week. And I can understand clearly why Joey Spampinato was the Bill Wyman replacement bassist. he is playing so COOL!!!!!!!!! I would to hear this guy play with Charlie.

He might have been Keith's pick but, supposedly, Charlie had the final say in this matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home