Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Thanks Martin Scorsese, You are Magic
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: January 14, 2009 05:24

the shows rocked the film failed utterly to capture the energy.

OLDKR

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 14, 2009 05:46

Yeah, he's a magician alright...watch the sleight of hand.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:00

It had a lot of hype. They hype was better than the movie. But it captures the band possibly at its worst playing and performance wise overall yet with some great moments just as well. They just weren't firing very good. The movie (and the album) reveal that. Whatever - they're The Rolling Stones. OK fine. That, these days, does not mean anything substantial or great. Not everything they do, have done or possibly will do is genius, the greatest ever, etc...unless being compared to themselves, which everything is.

Standing along, SAL is just bland. It's still exciting in some regards but overall, it's a cloudy day.

Shine A Light, although entertaining, is not very GOOD. It's good alright, it's just not GOOD. It's no Gimme Shelter (nothing ever will be) and it's not Four Flicks or Bridges. I never got that that was the intention - it was just to show the band as they are now, or then, but now. It's got very contrived moments in it as well as showing us the garbage they go through (the Clintons). The box set TBB is better over all in terms of showing us the band, good and bad, in general. As was Flicks (their best).

Entertaining? Yeah - when I saw it in the theatre. On DVD? No. And the album is difficult to listen to entirely. Disc 2 especially.

You can take the 'true fan' bullshit and toss it. Reality is what it is - the movie is not great - it's got little Marty in it as well to make it that much worse - and the band is not great - it just is what it is. Some of it is dumbfoundingly astounding - why they put Little T&A and Connection in it I'll never understand. That shit is on print - preserved. What a hellacious preservation. As well as a couple of others. Had it been shorter (and no Marty) it would hold up quite well.

Would I recommend seeing it to a friend? No.

There you go.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 14, 2009 09:45

It's kinda sad when someone tries to start a positive thread about something they enjoyed about The Rolling Stones and all the naysayers pile on with their whining. Aren't there enough "SAL sucked" threads already in existence?

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 14, 2009 13:52

I have only just got hold of the DVD and just finished watching it, I thought it was a great concert and will watch it over and over as I will other Stones DVD's. I think my favorite of the last few years is the Madison Square concert on the 40 licks .

Having said all that I can find myself drifting off during the show any of their DVD's to make a cup of tea or something whereas during a live concert I would be hooked from start to finish.

I think what I am trying to say is no mater how large the screen is or how loud the soundtrack you just can't beat being at a live Stones Gig.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 14, 2009 15:35

Yeah thanks for all those great mob films and the last waltz... ]

SAL sucks Marty. maybe you could have done something like No Direction Home, maybe more input on your part or a script could have helped. MAybe you could have been in charge. SAL sucked Marty.

phd
On this year-end I wanted to thank you for having captured in SAL some of those instants that are magic to a Stones fan :

- In She's so hot, at the end of the song when Mick is electrified by the music while watching like in the distance in the direction of Lisa and Bernard,

- As Tears Go By. The old complicity btw Mick and Keith really looks deeply sincere and having not been altered by the decades. The smile from Mick to Keith says more than tons of articles.

- And Keith. I suppose a lot has been written here about those 45 seconds at the end of the Bonuses when Music is humbly playing on solo a nice piece after having been presented to Clinton. This is a unique moment. The Guitar Hero playing like He could have been playing 50 years from now. " Bash stardom, I am only a simple guitar player".

Thanks Mr.Scorsese for this present.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 14, 2009 15:38

Glam Descendant
Aren't there enough "SAL sucked" threads already in existence?

Yeah, and for a good reason.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 14, 2009 16:02

I have the soundtrack and the dvd.
the soundtrack gets played a lot in the car, loud.
the dvd I've hardly watched.
For me, neither of them come anywhere near seeing it in Imax with great sound, just like the Imax doesn't match the real deal.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 14, 2009 21:23

i think the whole "set list conflict" is one of the stupidest, forced things ever committed to film.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 14, 2009 22:12

Will the SAL movie enter the Oscars competiton ?

Best Documentary...?

Best Photography, sound...?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 14, 2009 22:14

marquess

Best Documentary...?

Most disappointing film from an oscar-winning director?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 14, 2009 22:30

marquess

Best Documentary...?

And the winner for the category of Best clueless Fans...Martin Scorsese's Shine A Light.
Excepting the award will be....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 15, 2009 05:49

Skipstone - What is wrong with Marty he is a GREAT director. Goodfellas, The Departed, Cape Fear among many others.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 15, 2009 13:24

I really liked SAL when I went to see it atthe pictures, although I did get thrown out the first time for dancing too much, and was pretty stoned the second time.

But with a fresh perspective from watching it on DVD Ifelt there was something missing from the movie, which I find hard to identify, although I think the most telling aspect about the movie is that I much prefer listening to the album. for me it's a cracking live recording, dirty rock n roll with rough edges, for some reason the film detracts from that slightly.

for me i think I'd rather be listening to the album than watching the movie, hich I suppose is a good thing for a band. music first, visual presentation second.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 15, 2009 14:54

went and saw it with the wife and even she said she expected more....should have taken her to the half-priced night ! I thought it was OK but not as good as it should have been...but in saying that the band is way past their peak so it was probably a silly idea anyway...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 15, 2009 16:35

hbwriter
i think the whole "set list conflict" is one of the stupidest, forced things ever committed to film.

Finally something I can hop on board with. I don't like that either. The first 20 minutes offers some funny things, but I'm sitting with a weird feeling of "why" in my stomach after they're done. There's nothing wrong ith the concert though. It's a great one indeed. Kicking ass as usual apart from the odd boring one.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: January 16, 2009 14:23

Had the Olympia Show in 2003 been filmed I think we'd be talking about a classic. No special guests, better setlist and no Clinton!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 16, 2009 14:24

iamthedj
Had the Olympia Show in 2003 been filmed I think we'd be talking about a classic.

er..it was.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: January 16, 2009 14:57

That Scorcese's film is the greatest musical film of all time. But, not for beginners. Thank's to Mr Scorese. Fantastic.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 16, 2009 15:02

Gazza
iamthedj
Had the Olympia Show in 2003 been filmed I think we'd be talking about a classic.

er..it was.

...and it IS a clssic! SAL is truly great too, but if I hat to choose one of those two, I would go for Olympia. Yes - no Clintons and stuff like that...but SAL has so many grat moments and is overally so good that I don't undrestand all the bashing at all...

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: January 16, 2009 15:49

Beelyboy
i found the film a major disappointment, and at best a bit of a cartoon for history, (which will not be kind to this lite fodder.) i was bored and sick of it within the first twenty minutes. i don't want to crawl inside the pores on jagger's face or see his friggin' dental work...
...Scorsese's 'magic,' imo, must be relegated to some of his really amazing feature film work many decades ago. i call him clueless marty. i mean how could you eff up filming a live rolling stones gig? he found a way. not at all a document worthy of the Stones prescence, achievements, brilliance, importance.
another homo-erotic love story between Marty and Mick, now that Marty and Robbie have broken up. Scorceses non-fiction work is a shambles. and he keeps using that same clueless editor. sigh. well kids, hoped you enjoyed the show, really honestly do, but that's my impression. Marty make HIMSELF a major protagonist in the story...extemely weird and selfish and if he had any real cultural sense of understanging, he'd have not done that. imo. embarrasing actually.

this film is not coming close to giving definitive looks and listens to the band at their current best. it's a trainwreck, can i get at least one amen?
probably not at the best stones fan site in world, understandably...

some good moments? of course, it's the Stones...some good performances? of course it's the effing mighty Rolling Stones...a good film? no, imo. if i was a film critic, which i am not, i would give it two and half stars and refer people elsewhere for diamond Stones live footage. some of it very recent too.

the off speed versions, the horrendous mix of the 'soundtrack' not bothering to turn, uh, ron's guitar, like up in the mix...duhhhh....just fuc*ing lazy and stupid and clueless.
not the document i'd be happy to share with coming generations who might have missed the sixties and seventies imo...IF IF IF this is a true document of where the Stones are in performance at this point (which i do not believe it is for the very most part,) then let's just fold the tent.
...i mean this was a trainwreck and 'masterful magic' marty is responsible. the artifice of fake drama about the setlists, the hired 'fans'...
i keep telling myself 'no big deal it's just a movie,' but it's not a good movie and The Stones deserve better, and they themselves either did not care much, or do much about the movie, nor careful production work on the soundtrack mixes etc...except for some promo red carpet stuff which was a gas, and some wonderful moments here and there, it's bland to pathetic for the most part imo.
horrors.
I am however truly glad that fans enjoyed this and were excited about it.
i will probably watch it again some day, long from now, or maybe not.
truth is, i could not sit all the way through the showing.

ok, if you disagree, as most surely would, being grateful for almost any stones coverage in that we miss them and always want more of them, but please don't get on my case personally. it's just one leetle opinion. thank you.

What a bombastic, asinine piece of egotistical poo that post was. Beelyboy, you kinda like yourself, don't you? Why do you think that anyone cares what your little two bit opinion is on anything? You saw people liking something that, as fans of The Rolling Stones, they have a right to enjoy, and you had to close the party with your rabid dogma. Why is it that every post of yours is like a magazine article?

"another homo-erotic love story between Marty and Mick" Whats that all about?

You're just another of the new breed of jackass that thinks your word is the end all of the opinion makers. No point is valid until you say it is. Its like a real life game of Simon Says. Well, Simon, bite me!

Your pontification on a plethora of subjects is wearing thin. A well placed pair of socks is over due for your mouth. Your verbal incontinence should not go unregulated; Seek help now! Don't spread hidious germs to innocent people!

Now is a good time to go over a few things with you.

We all have our own opinion. We all like different things. Some like old Stones, some like newer Stones, some prefer Taylor, others like Woody.......The list go's on and on. The common thread is that it is all the same band, and we get to enjoy it if we want to, without you raining on every parade. Stop it, shut up, be quite, hush your mouth, refrain from speaking, shut your piehole, keep it down, Shhh, zippit, staple your lips shut, clam up, tiptoe, silence is golden, don't want to hear from you, ever.

Have a wonderful day!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 16, 2009 18:52

I don't think Martin Scorcese is magic.
I think the editor and cinematographers did a hell of a job working in that cramped space.
I think Mick Jagger got the set list and band as rehearsed and organized as is possible.
I saw SAL when it was first released at an IMAX. Rather too much Stones right in my face but, of course, I enjoyed it.

I play the SAL CD most every day and love it. When I have time to breathe I will even open the SAL DVD I bought months ago and see how it looks to me now in my living room on a 26 inch TV.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 16, 2009 18:56

your personal attacks are most tiresome gnat, which is a great name for someone who is small minded and makes a sick little buzz as it flies around. i write what i want when i want and place it where i want. you'll have to learn to live with it or die trying...have a great day. better minds than yours have tried to stop people from expressing themselves, good luck with that amateur hour psychoanalysis crap. your personal attack was expected, predicted and is as meaningless as your blind devotion to willful ignorance. the one person amidst the many of have visited this thread that personal attacks another poster, rather than disagree and make a case for it. boring and probably (maybe) beneath any real character in your soul.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 16, 2009 19:17

sir gnatitude; having a wonderful; glad you're an enthusiastic reader, why thank you... attack attack attack. snooree nothing more

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-18 21:47 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 16, 2009 21:50

The movie is what it is - that's fine. I think the criticism of THE movie has more to do with the Stones than anything - their playing, etc... My thing about Marty? I personally wish he'd of NOT included himself IN the movie.

That's what I mean. I and others that I know that watched it could have done without ANY Marty in the movie as far as him talking, etc...the fake set list bit especially.

That's what I meant.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 17, 2009 03:32

SAL does not suck at all, its a very entertaining concert film but thats it, it was the entire wrong approach taken by marty and the stones, it should have been a career documentary which would have taken alot more work from marty and much more time than just shooting a concert on film, been there done that before, and better may i add, btw the least they could have done was have a bonus dvd of just extras and interviews, what a cheaply released product this was, not even a booklet, and by booklet i dont mean a five page bio flyer i mean a real booklet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-17 03:45 by melillo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 17, 2009 04:08

Of course you are bound to find some gnat biting your back when making such observations, Billy...don't take it to hard; it's just an reinvarnation of an ex-poster coming back as a bug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-17 04:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2009 05:50

skipstone
etc...the fake set list bit especially.

So you don't think Mick wanted to perform "Too Much Blood" for the first time???

More seriously... I find it very hard to imagine.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 17, 2009 06:21

GNAT

"another homo-erotic love story between Marty and Mick" Whats that all about?

You're just another of the new breed of jackass that thinks your word is the end all of the opinion makers. No point is valid until you say it is. Its like a real life game of Simon Says. Well, Simon, bite me!

Your pontification on a plethora of subjects is wearing thin. A well placed pair of socks is over due for your mouth. Your verbal incontinence should not go unregulated; Seek help now! Don't spread hidious germs to innocent people!

Now is a good time to go over a few things with you.

We all have our own opinion. We all like different things. Some like old Stones, some like newer Stones, some prefer Taylor, others like Woody.......The list go's on and on. The common thread is that it is all the same band, and we get to enjoy it if we want to, without you raining on every parade. Stop it, shut up, be quite, hush your mouth, refrain from speaking, shut your piehole, keep it down, Shhh, zippit, staple your lips shut, clam up, tiptoe, silence is golden, don't want to hear from you, ever.

Have a wonderful day!

What is this whole post you've made other than your opinion? yeah, we've all got opinions , and we post them on here... What is your point?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-17 06:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: January 17, 2009 13:38

My point is that this guy rains on every parade. He seems to get off on making people think they are not smart enough to make their own choice. If people like SAL, then let them like it, and get off your high-horse. The guy is a jackass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home