Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Observation About Online Downloading vs. FLAC Download
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 8, 2018 23:52

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 35-XXXX. My operating system is Windows 10. The laptopo has superior sounding speakers. I needed to add the Brussels 73 version of Angie to a playlist and was too lazy to get up and find one of the CDRs I possess with it. So I went online and downloaded the audio in m4a format.

Listening to it I'm amazed at the clarity and crispness of the sound! I think it's akin to a FLAC download. Am I imagining this or have I been stuck in the 1990s of audio downloads online?

Re: Observation About Online Downloading vs. FLAC Download
Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: May 9, 2018 08:28

[www.quora.com]

M4A is an audio file which is compressed using MPEG-4 technology which is an algorithm with lossy compression. It is primarily associated with “MPEG-4 Audio Layer” and files in this extension are the audio layer of MPEG-4 movies (non-video). It aims to overtake mp3 and become the new standard in audio compression.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 9, 2018 08:56

M4A is actually a container file, which can contain either aac (lossy like MP3) or alac (lossless like flac) formats. So it was possible that you downloaded a lossless track which would have been identical to flac - filesize will tell you which it was.

Of course, many people also argue that you cannot tell the difference between lossless and a good lossy track (I don't want to dredge up the argument, just noting that some people say it!).

syrel

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: May 9, 2018 16:31

Friends don't let friends download lossy.

Date: May 9, 2018 16:46

andrews27
Friends don't let friends download lossy.

True, but friends with limited storage space will gladly download lossy if needed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home