Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spanish Sticky Fingers Question
Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 23, 2008 20:23

I have a question about my Spanish LP version of Sticky Fingers...the one with the different cover and "Let It Rock."

The first version I ever saw, a friend of mine had it in the late '70s or early '80s. His was definitely the original pressing or close to it.

Then, in around the mid-1990s, I finally tracked down my own copy from an online record seller. It looks the same, but the printing is not as good, the cover is not as glossy and the cardboard sleeve is not as thick. Frankly it looks to me almost like it might be a bootleg or pirate edition, or at the very least a much later pressing. The overall quality of the artwork and color printing is definitely not as good as the first one I saw.

Now I see colored vinyl versions on Ebay, that are obviously more recent pressings than what I have.

I was wondering if someone here could give some information about the different editions of Spanish Sticky Fingers, and the value of each. Are there fakes/pirates of this around? Or did the Spanish pressings just get shoddy after a time, and that's what I have?

Also, if I decide to sell my copy, how should I identify it so that the buyer (and myself) will know which version/pressing I am selling. I wouldn't want to say something was original if it wasn't, or say it was the "real" Spanish Sticky Fingers if it's a fake or a non-valuable pressing. Is there a place I can find this kind of info?

Thanks.

Re: Spanish Sticky Fingers Question
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 23, 2008 20:45

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-08 12:16 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 23, 2008 22:10

Yes there's a new orange Spanish Sticky Fingers pressing....I believe it's an official release - not an unauthorized one. At least they're selling it all over Europe - in vinyl shops....shops that don't sell bootlegs.
It's not valuable though, just a nice item.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: June 23, 2008 22:43

I have the original 1971 version in mint condition and I paid just over £100 for it on Ebay. It was the first one I had found in about a year of searching.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 23, 2008 22:56

Erik_Snow
Yes there's a new orange Spanish Sticky Fingers pressing....I believe it's an official release - not an unauthorized one. At least they're selling it all over Europe - in vinyl shops....shops that don't sell bootlegs.
It's not valuable though, just a nice item.

The colored ones don't even include Let It Rock.

Mine is green and looks like a very cheap copy. Huge disappointment when I got it.

Date: June 23, 2008 23:05

Guðni Gunnarsson
Mine is green and looks like a very cheap copy. Huge disappointment when I got it.

But this is a brand new orange authorized pressing, not those old counterfeit releases, Guðni
Haven't bought it (yet), but it does list Let It Rock on the cover....so I'm not saying that I'm certain of it's quality nor features

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 23:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 23, 2008 23:10

Those color vinyl editions are definately counterfeit / pirate copies. RSR would be putting those out. There isn't even a Rolling Stones Records anymore.

JR

Date: June 23, 2008 23:17

stone-relics
Those color vinyl editions are definately counterfeit / pirate copies. RSR would be putting those out. There isn't even a Rolling Stones Records anymore.
JR

Thanks John, I presumed there was some kind of exception for the Spanish release; I'd never trust a coloured new pressing of a "standard RSR release" - but I take your word for it being a pirate copy.
Maybe I'll demand getting this record for free in these shops nearby...or else blow the whistle of them selling pirate records..he he

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 23:18 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 23, 2008 23:18

Erik_Snow
Guðni Gunnarsson

But this is a brand new orange authorized pressing, not those old counterfeit releases, Guðni
Haven't bought it (yet), but it does list Let It Rock on the cover....so I'm not saying that I'm certain of it's quality nor features

I understand... mine is also brand new, probably the same you're talking about so I believe they made it in few colors. It lists Let It Rock on label but it plays Sister Morphine. Seems to be copy of the 1980 release.

Date: June 23, 2008 23:20

Guðni Gunnarsson
I understand... mine is also brand new, probably the same you're talking about so I believe they made it in few colors. It lists Let It Rock on label but it plays Sister Morphine. Seems to be copy of the 1980 release.

Aha! Thanks for the info Guðni, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Costs 45 dollars here in old Norway.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 23, 2008 23:24

UrbanSteel info is correct: you must check the cat. number. The original HRSS591-01 is not easy to find in mint conditions.

Date: June 24, 2008 00:23

Also as reported earlier, the pirate copies on coloured vinyl do say Let it Rock on the cover, but it's not on the record. It's just been manufactured from a bog standard issue.

Date: June 24, 2008 00:27

Erik_Snow
Guðni Gunnarsson

Aha! Thanks for the info Guðni, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Costs 45 dollars here in old Norway.

Wow, that's crazy!

I paid about 15 bucks and felt I was ripped off!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 24, 2008 13:54

Be VERY careful when spending money on these new "supect" vinyls. The Germans have been VERY busy counterfeiting all kinds of releases, including many of the old German and Austrian fan club releases. ALWAYS check matrix numbers. Most of them have shoddily writen or NO matrices at all.

JR

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: June 24, 2008 16:25

There has been a lot of these on e-bay recently, going for silly prices. They are also available on the HMV Japan website - for about £14/15 if I remember rightly. Still a rip-off though!

Date: June 24, 2008 16:43

I 100% agree with John; recently I saw people paying lot of money for counterfeits Promotional Album, Necrophilia, not to mention the recent Honky tonk womAn UK single.

I suggest, if you are not confident, to ask here on IORR or send to us private messages. Even to experienced collectors, sometimes, happens to be cheated or, anyway, to pay more than the real value.

Here some recommendations:

Bear in mind that there are no multicoloured original RS vinyls issued before the eighties, apart some singles from Greece and an impossible to find Let it bleed (am I correct John?).

Be careful with all the first-era German singles as many sleeves are high quality photocopies but look originals on the eBay images.

Pay top rate attention to the German 10 inches Beat, Beat,Beat and all the Club serie, because, as John explained, it is only the matrix number the proves that it's original.

In many discographies, like the French one, the date of pressing is printed on the backcover; check it, because the're differences in value between the first pressing and a re-edition of the same record.

And, finally, a vinyl which is below the "good" conditions, is worth zero. Always ask about the quality of vinyl and cover, and test it at arrival before leaving positive feedbacks.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: June 24, 2008 16:49

I own a legit 1980 release and it for sure features "Let It Rock". Unfortunately it comes WITHOUT an insert, which I do believe was originally included on the Spanish re-release (can some fellow collector confirm?).

Date: June 24, 2008 17:10

Handova, the original HRSS 591-01 was manufactured in 1971; on the label is written that is "Fabricado por Hispavox - madrid". I never saw it with insert (but on this, I can be wrong". Let it rock appears as track number 4 and, very amazing, track number 3 is 30 seconds mute indicated on the labe with : 3..... 0'30.

The reissue 10C 068 063616 was manufactured in 1980 . The song Let it rock is included as Number 3 and there 's not the track 30 seconds mute.
There's an insert - one side only with the big red tongue , all written in spanish and catalogue number on top right. This record was manufactured in Polig Industrias Barcelona.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-24 17:12 by straycat58.

Date: June 24, 2008 17:19

Just to complete:

there are two exisiting versions of the original HRSS 591-01, one with the Sticky fingers graphic label and one with a plain label.

An then there's the spanish Trousers version 10C 066-063.152, with Sister morphine, no Let it rock.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 24, 2008 17:29

My version is HRSS 591-01, "Let It Rock" is track four AND there's an insert!
Spanish Sticky Fingers graphic label.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 24, 2008 17:38

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-08 12:15 by UrbanSteel.

Date: June 24, 2008 17:44

thank U all. I know some trivia myself as I'm Spanish, matter of fact I must have bought the 1980 re-release that very same year. Note that it's funny that it was re-released five years after the Spanish censorship ended, a bit of a non-sense. In fact, fans in general avoided this goodie as the plague back then, being the original album/artwork with zipper sought after. "Sister Morphine" was some kind of an over-rated myth back then in poor old Spain.

Date: June 24, 2008 17:50

Rankstranger... so I miss the insert in the original edition !!.
Is it similar to the one posted by UrbanSteel with different catalogue number and Let it rock number 4?

Date: June 24, 2008 17:57

Handova, puedes ayudarme a buscar unos discos espanoles que me faltan?

I'm stll looking for Beggars Banquet , orange label with black writings and I must replace the vinyl of the Big Hits (High tide), orange label, black writings (because my vinyl is in fair conditions) .

In case, please contact me at elmo.lewis@yahoo.it

Date: June 24, 2008 18:04

straycat58, I'll have a look for you smiling smiley

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 24, 2008 18:10

straycat58
Rankstranger... so I miss the insert in the original edition !!.
Is it similar to the one posted by UrbanSteel with different catalogue number and Let it rock number 4?

straycat58 I cannot upload it here, but you've got mail!

Date: June 24, 2008 19:00

Here are some scans of my version which I believe to be an original pressing from 1971.

Front Sleeve - Top Right Corner - showing UK catalogue number in brackets underneath.

Back Sleeve - Bottom Right Corner - saying "Distribuido por Hispavox, S.A." not "Fabricado por Hispavox - madrid"

Insert Top Right Corner

Insert Bottom Left Corner

Label - A Side

Label B Side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-24 19:04 by strettonbull.

Date: June 24, 2008 19:11

Furthermore - all the coloured vinyl versions are counterfeit copies of the 1980 sleeve, with a copy of the non Spanish record inside.

Posted by: Harry Hendriks ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:23

For sale on e-Bay Spanish Sticky Fingersspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[cgi.ebay.nl]

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 3, 2008 19:52

I just wanted to belatedly say thank you to everyone for their input on this thread...particularly UrbanSteel and Strettonbull, the pictures/scans were a BIG help to me in sorting out which version of the record I had.

It turns out that I indeed have the 1980 version, and my friend had the original 1971 version. Which is why they looked slightly different, different enough to make me curious to ask about them. "Mystery" solved!

Thank you so much!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home