Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Mono Mixes FOR INFORMATION ONLY
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2015 01:49

There's a site called Willard's Worm Holes that has a posting with links to downloads of everything through Sticky Fingers mono mixes. Evidently, a guy got tired of waiting for Decca (or ABKO I guess) to reissue the mono mixes similar to the Beatles a few years ago. He took it upon himself to load his old mono albums into zip files. Worth checking out if you have a mind to. Haven't listened yet but I figured there are folks here who would be mighty interested in this concept.smoking smiley

PS: you have to look in the comments to the post to get to the actual links. Have fun!

PSS: Studio stuff only.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 01:55 by crholmstrom.

Re: Stones Mono Mixes FOR INFORMATION ONLY
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 28, 2015 02:03

The Beatles mono box could provide us the sound in warm atmosphere.
It's a great idea.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 28, 2015 06:07

I have to dig in...

There are NO true mono mix of Sticky Fingers!!!

Date: November 28, 2015 06:42

Blueranger
I have to dig in...

There are NO true mono mix of Sticky Fingers!!!

There was quite a bit of info on the site. I haven't a clue. Happy to have your input.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2015 12:19

Was listening to 5.1 mixes of Beggars and Let It Bleed last night. Home made effort but very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 12:20 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 28, 2015 13:35

Silver Dagger
Was listening to 5.1 mixes of Beggars and Let It Bleed last night. Home made effort but very good.

I have a setting on my receiver that puts a "fake" surround sound on. It works real well on good recordings like Steely Dan. More basic stuff it doesn't make a big difference.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 28, 2015 21:30

What could be the sense of listening to BB, SF & LIB in MONO???? To convert a stereo-record into a mono record is kinda strange.

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: November 28, 2015 21:38

HMS
What could be the sense of listening to BB, SF & LIB in MONO???? To convert a stereo-record into a mono record is kinda strange.

BB and LIB were released in Mono as well as Stereo. If you haven't heard them then the Mono mixes are quite different, especially BB I think.
The version of Sympathy runs much faster and runs longer than the Stereo if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 28, 2015 22:00

dannyhowells
HMS

BB and LIB were released in Mono as well as Stereo. If you haven't heard them then the Mono mixes are quite different, especially BB I think.
The version of Sympathy runs much faster and runs longer than the Stereo if I recall correctly.

Both Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed are fold-downs, not true mono with the exception of "Sympathy For The Devil".
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 23:56 by Deltics.

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: November 28, 2015 22:04

Oh my mistake, sorry.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 22:05

Steve Hoffman's site has a good discussion about the Stones Mono. It seems that there are indeed authentic mono versions of BB and LIB.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 28, 2015 23:22

I don't know if I can believe this. I have both UK Mono pressings and I say only SFTD and SFM are mono, the rest of Beggars is fold down stereo. Plus LIB is entirely a fold down. My ears might deceive me but that's what I believe. Anyway, they are nice collectables in my opinion. Kind of love the red labels with large Decca letters.

Date: November 29, 2015 19:33

So, if I understand everyone correctly the US Sticky Fingers mono wlp is a fold-down? Probably put out quickly for AM radio?

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 29, 2015 19:36

I have the spanish version of SF, and many say it is a fold down, it it is, it sounds damn good. I don't think it is... I can hear some subtle differences in the mixes. Can't You Hear Me knocking seems to fad out longer, and has a more distorted intro. Brown Sugar, the acoustic and lower in the mix (as opposed to the stereo Japanese pressing where the acoustic is full center. One of the main instruments).

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: November 30, 2015 00:18

I guess I can clearly firgure it out, but just in case please can anybody explain what a "fold-down" is. TIA.

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: November 30, 2015 00:25

crholmstrom
There's a site called Willard's Worm Holes that has a posting with links to downloads of everything through Sticky Fingers mono mixes. Evidently, a guy got tired of waiting for Decca (or ABKO I guess) to reissue the mono mixes similar to the Beatles a few years ago. He took it upon himself to load his old mono albums into zip files. Worth checking out if you have a mind to. Haven't listened yet but I figured there are folks here who would be mighty interested in this concept.smoking smiley

PS: you have to look in the comments to the post to get to the actual links. Have fun!

Just for the purists; the files are mp3, 320 kbps (which is more than good enough for my old ears smiling smiley )

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: November 30, 2015 00:42

coowouters
crholmstrom

Just for the purists; the files are mp3, 320 kbps (which is more than good enough for my old ears smiling smiley )

Right, I've just checked the same as you did.

Date: November 30, 2015 01:52

Quique-stone
coowouters
crholmstrom

Right, I've just checked the same as you did.

& the price is right!winking smiley

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 05:37

I can't listen to Aftermath in STEREO. It's awful! And Between The Buttons MONO is also superb! Between The Mixes...

I just can't understand why The Stones won't put more emphasis on putting out quality re-releases. And this would include releasing the MONO mixes remastered. Look at the Beatles MONO box set! The way they handle and take care of The Beatles albums should have been an example The Stones followed. Don't Let me Down...

Reworking bonus tracks is not he way to do it. And no more of the "best of" compilations, please... The Stones must be one of those bands with the biggest number of compilations. Grrr...

A good example of being ripped off is the SF Super Deluxe edition (all other Super Deluxe editions of Stones albums are a rip off; could have mentioned any of them here):
A DVD featuring 2 tracks from Live At The Marquee! Seriously?! 2 tracks?! Isn't Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out available separately? Why not include the full show at Roundhouse? The 7" vinyl is pointless. I guess the book is the only thing that makes this SD set any interesting... And it's over $100... Sad sad sad...

I have been complaining about the Stones' re-releases a lot, because I hope someone from record labels would start thinking if people pointed out how poorly it's been done. The world's greatest rock & roll band deserves better! All Sold Out...

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: November 30, 2015 11:05

dannyhowells
HMS

back in those days, when the industry began adopting the new fangled “stereo” format,
studio engineers were forced to make separate mixes for mono and stereo lp pressings.
programmable mixing boards hadn’t been invented yet.

as a result, the two versions would often include different instruments, emphasis and/or sounds.
not always noticeable, but sometimes extremely distinct.
their satanic majesties request is one such example of the latter.
a mono mix that easily surpasses the better known stereo version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-30 11:13 by j.b.goode.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 30, 2015 15:29

I definitely agree TSMR sounds better in Mono and there are distinct differences in the mix. It's worth seeking out a copy.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: December 6, 2015 02:00

whitem8
I have the spanish version of SF, and many say it is a fold down, it it is, it sounds damn good. I don't think it is... I can hear some subtle differences in the mixes. Can't You Hear Me knocking seems to fad out longer, and has a more distorted intro. Brown Sugar, the acoustic and lower in the mix (as opposed to the stereo Japanese pressing where the acoustic is full center. One of the main instruments).

Hey !
I might sound rather stupid, - but what the heck - "many say it is a fold down" - does this mean that SF had a spanish Mono-release ? ? ? ? ?
- or just that it is some kind of a "different" Stereo-mix - ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home