Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hear Alternate 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' & 'Bitch'
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 28, 2015 19:51

Hear Alternate Version of Rolling Stones' 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'

When the Rolling Stones gathered at London’s Olympic Studios in the summer of 1970 to work on Sticky Fingers, they'd already laid down several classics like "Brown Sugar" and "Dead Flowers" in previous months. But they weren't out of steam yet. During a jam with Charlie Watts, Keith Richards started experimenting with open G guitar tuning and knew he had something special. "My fingers just landed in the right place and I discovered a few things about that tuning that I'd never been aware of," Richards said in 2002. "I think I realized that even as I was cutting the track."

The track, "Can’t You Hear Me Knocking," went on to become one of the most swaggering, defining Stones epics. On this bare-bones early version – premiered on Buzzfeed and set for release for the first time on the Sticky Fingers deluxe reissue June 9th – you can hear the magic start to take shape. Richards feels his way through the riff – and a few riffs that didn’t make the final cut – as Mick Jagger improvises. "It was smiles all around," Richards wrote of the session in 2010’s Life. "For a guitar player it's no big deal to play, the chopping, staccato bursts of chords, very direct and spare."

This early, loose version is only half as long as the final one, lacking the song's second movement with Mick Taylor's Santana-style solo. "We didn’t even know they were still taping," Richards once said of that section. "We thought we’d finished. We were just rambling and they kept the tape rolling. I figured we'd just fade it off. It was only when we heard the playback that we realized, 'Oh, they kept it going.' Basically we realized we had two bits of music. There’s the song and there’s the jam."
The band hadn't tackled the challenging song live for decades before the Licks tour in 2002, and they've played it on and off in tours since – but chances are they will play it this summer on their Zip Code tour. "We're floating the idea of playing the whole album," Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone earlier this month. "At the very least, we'll play the songs we don't normally play."

Listen Here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-unreleased-version-of-rolling-stones-cant-you-hear-me-knocking-20150428#ixzz3YcgeGbPm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-04 22:32 by exilestones.

Re: Hear Alternate 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'
Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 28, 2015 20:25

Official

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-28 21:08 by stonesmuziekfan.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 29, 2015 16:43

Thanks for sharing.

I love it from midway when Charlie grooves with the floor tom and they start improvising.

The first section is very sloppy, it's clearly a very early attempt at the song, nowhere near as tight as the chosen take.

I am genuinely surprised that Mick agreed to release this.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 29, 2015 22:03

fantastic. So that was in the vaults for 40 @#$%& years???

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 29, 2015 23:19

TooTough
fantastic. So that was in the vaults for 40 @#$%& years???

+1 smileys with beer

Re: Hear Alternate 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' & 'Bitch'
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 4, 2015 23:24

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 5, 2015 02:45

I hope that this is not the way this track is gonna end up on the reissue. There's a few glitches in the first 30 seconds of the track.

Hearing this it occurred to me 'Travelin' Man' could be an embrionic version of Bitch.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 5, 2015 07:50

I was thinking more 'Highway Child' - especially with the lyric lift Mick does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home