Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Run Rudolph Run
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 15, 2014 21:50

Written by Johnny Marks and Marvin Brodie, and most famously performed by Chuck Berry, Keith's cover of "Run Rudolph Run" was originally released on Rolling Stones Records, with a B-Side of Jimmy Cliffs "The Harder They Come".

The single was re-released in 2007 by iTunes, under the Mindless Records imprint. This time the song was bundled with a previously unreleased 2003 recording of "Pressure Drop" with Toots & The Maytals.

Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Vocal: Keith Richards
Drums: Mike Driscoll
Bass: Keith Richards
Piano: Ian Stewart

Berry based this tale on "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer," giving Rudolph a bit of an attitude as he delivers the toys. Unlike Santa, however, Rudolph is copyrighted, and Berry had to give the publishing rights to Johnny Marks, who wrote the original Rudolph. Perhaps if Berry had used "Randolph" (another reindeer he mentions), he could have kept the publishing. That's what the makers of the British TV special Robbie the Reindeer did.

The song is sometimes known as "Run Run Rudolph," which is how it appears on Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover. Other artists to record the song include Sheryl Crow, Bryan Adams, The Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, Dwight Yoakam, Bon Jovi and Keith Richards.

---------

Although Richards recorded the track in 1976, it was not until two years later, in 1978, when advance promotional copies were serviced to the press and to radio for airplay in the United States, prior to its release at retail. A second pressing ensued, in late 1979 for U.S. retail, while a UK release had been issued earlier, in February of that year.

The song was also released in Japan and in other selected countries in 1979. As had previously been the case with numerous Rolling Stones albums and singles, the release date of Richards’ version of "Run Rudolph Run" varied from country to country. 1978 had been a busy year for the Stones and for Richards, with both the release of "Some Girls," and their tour in support of the album.

In addition to confusion created by fans who misunderstand the difference between advance promotional availability and actual retail release dates, along with the variations that occur between countries, and other unrelated factors, such issues can complicate establishing the actual release date of a past recording. As a result, uncertainty has surrounded the exact release dates for this single, and of countless other recordings. Subsequent to the inception of Soundscan in 1991, with its strict policies that include new music releases being made available at retail solely on Tuesdays, there are now many less variables that ensue when documenting American release dates.

Part of what makes this re-issue remarkable is that Richards’ recording of "Run Rudolph Run" was solely available commercially as a 7-inch 45 RPM single. It was never commercially available on CD, and it had been out of print for over 25 years, until its recent holiday release as an itunes download (2007). The song has been recorded by a wide range of artists, a few of whom include Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bryan Adams, The Grateful Dead and Dave Edmunds. It was Chuck Berry’s Chess Records version, however, that inspired Richards. Berry’s version of the song was recorded on September 9, 1958, as was the single’s B-side, "Merry Christmas Baby." Berry would not return to the studio until a month later, to record "Little Queenie" and "That’s My Desire."

With the Rolling Stones having released versions of classic Chuck Berry numbers including "Little Queenie" and "Carol," that Richards should record "Run Rudolph Run" was not surprising. Atypically, the track was not written by Berry, who wrote most of his own songs. Richards’ longtime love for Berry’s music, as well as his admiration for Johnny Johnson, Berry’s late, great, one-time pianist, who Richards inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2001, has been well-documented, and played out on stages by Richards for over forty years. When inducting Berry into the Hall in 1986, the Rolling Stones guitarist remarked, "I lifted every lick he ever played."

Do not, however, expect any further Christmas offerings from Richards, who recently stated in an interview with drummer extraordinaire Steve Jordan on Sirius Radio, "It would be selling out."

In tune with one more of his longtime loves, there is a B-side on Richards’ 45 RPM of "Run Rudolph Run," his version of Jimmy Cliff’s hypnotic reggae track, "The Harder They Come." Richards would continue to express his longtime love for roots reggae in the studio through numerous recordings that include his work with the Wingless Angels, on their self-titled album, Max Romeo’s "Holding Out My Love To You," his extremely challenged relationship with late Peter Tosh, various works he recorded with the Stones, as well as reggae-influenced tracks that he recorded with his group, The X-Pensive Winos. "The Harder They Come" was later covered by artists as diverse as Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, the MC5’s Wayne Kramer and Willie Nelson on his 2005 "Country Man" album. It was the seminal 1972 Perry Henzel film, "The Harder They Come," that brought this reggae anthem into mainstream consciousness.

In addition to "Run Rudolph Run," Richards simultaneously released, for the first time ever, his version of Toots And The Maytals’ "Pressure Drop." He recorded the song in 2003 at the Dangerous Music studio in New York City while he was recording the track "Careless Ethiopians" for the Toots album, "True Love," that would be released the following year. "Pressure Drop" had been originally recorded and written by Frederick "Toots" Hibbert in 1969.

PHYLLIS POLLACK

-----------

Keith’s version is fantastic. It’s gritty, it’s rocking, and it’s Keith Richards for crying out loud. It was released as a single and the B-side is Pressure Drop with Toots and the Maytals. How awesome is that!?

The video is Keith and the X-Pensive Winos recorded at the Meadowlands in NJ in 1988.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-15 21:52 by exilestones.

Re: Run Rudolph Run
Date: November 15, 2014 21:55

KEITH RICHARDS/ROLLING STONES RUN RUDOLPH RUN 10" LP CD

[collectorsfrenzy.com]

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: November 15, 2014 23:56

Also released on CD in 2008 on Little Steven's Christmas A Go-Go compilation, "Courtesy of Mindless Rrecords, LLC" and "available for the first time on CD"
Nice digipack and a fun listen smiling smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 16, 2014 02:59

my blue label promo from 78 has a mono mix on one side and stereo mix on the other. I have the commercial release on the yellow label from that year also and the stereo mixes seem to be slightly different or it could just be me...

Date: November 16, 2014 19:06

scottkeef
my blue label promo from 78 has a mono mix on one side and stereo mix on the other. I have the commercial release on the yellow label from that year also and the stereo mixes seem to be slightly different or it could just be me...

Interesting observation...hmmm...a true mono mix!

Great single b/w Jimmy Cliff's "Harder They Come." Love both tracks.

The Rolling Stones have been dubbed "The Worlds Greatest Cover Band!" I'd love to have a 4 LP set of the Stones covering other people's songs. I'd bet it would be a big commercial and critical success.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 16, 2014 19:36

scottkeef

Please can you check your promo single ? I only have the french & the japanese 7' singles (non-promo) and "Rudolph" is mono !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-16 19:45 by LiveAtHidepark.

Date: November 19, 2014 19:59

I checked my 1978 promo copy and the stereo side has a blue label but I was surprised that I did not remember that the mono side has a WHITE label!! One other thing of interest to me( which may not mean anything) is the width of the "band"(the grooves, I don't know how else to say it) on the record is about 1/4 wider on the mono side than it is on the blue label stereo side. BUT the width of the band on the yellow label commercial release matches the width of the MONO promo side and not the stereo side!! What does that mean if anything?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 19, 2014 21:26

All versions I've heard so far are mono. I wonder if the stereo promo could be a true stereo mix?

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: November 19, 2014 22:58

ACTUALLY, A LOT OF US THOUGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE DONE “RUN, RUDOLPH, RUN” AT ST. LOUIS?

We were gonna do it, but you know Chuck Berry charges a fortune for TV (it was a pay-per-view show). That’s why we didn’t even do “Little Queenie” because he’s just ridiculous.

HOW ABOUT RELEASING “RUN, RUDOLPH, RUN” AS A CD SINGLE, BECAUSE IT’S ONLY AVAILABLE NOW ON 7-INCH VINYL?
Well that’s another idea, why don’t you send me a piece of paper?!!

Read More at www.deangoodman.com/keith-richards/ © Dean Goodman

--------

Richards completed several solo studio sessions during 1976 and 1977, but their sole product was the belated Christmas single, 'Run Rudolph Run' (1979).

--------

Keith holds the net worth of more than $340 million dollars which make him among the richest musicians in the world. - See more at: [ecelebrityfacts.com]

-------

[thepiratebay.se]

-------

Keith Richards – Keith To The Highway (SODD 104)

Keith To The Highway (SODD 104)

(75:35): The Harder They Come (Solo Single 1979), Run Rudolph Run (Solo Single 1979), Pressure Drop (with Toots and the Maytals 2003), You Got The Silver (Stuttgart 1999), Get Off My Cloud (Alexis Korner Album Get Off Of My Cloud 1974), Let’s Go Steady (Emotional Rescue session 1979), Sure The One You Need (Ron Wood album I’ve Got My Own Album To Do 1974), Before The Make Me Run [Live] (from UK Single “Biggest Mistake” B-side), Key To The Highway (Main Offender additional track For Japan Only), Can’t Be Seen [Live] (Atlantic City 1989), Slipping Away [Demo] (Steel Wheels Session 1988), Happy [Live] (Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1988), Gimme Shelter [Live] (Town & Country, London, England December 1992), Take It So Hard (from limited 3X3 CD single, Virgin UK), Little T & A [Live] (Hampton 1981), The Worst [Live] (Rio de Janeiro 1995), Connection [Live] (Rio de Janeiro 1995), Wanna Hold You [Live] (Buenos Aires 1998)

Keith To The Highway is a nicely compiled collection of Keith Richards singles and rarities gathered over a twenty-five year period. All of the tracks are sourced from excellent sounding professional sources except for “You Got The Silver,” which sounds like an excellent audience recording. SODD want to highlight not only his contribution to The Rolling Stones, but his merits as a solo artist. His two solo albums Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender were both a critical and commercial success.

Richards’ first commercially released single was in December 1978 where he covered Chuck Berry’s “Run Rudolph Run” and Jimmy Cliff’s “The Harder The Come” and displays the two major styles he is fluent in and dominate his songs. Much of the Rolling Stones’ output can be seen as a variation on Berry and this single is a faithful rendition of the track.

And the B-side “The Harder They Come” comes out of Richards (and, it seems the entire British musical establishment’s) fascination with reggae music in the seventies. It is significant that he covered this particular tune since it was written, and gave the title to, the important Jamaican film The Harder They Come.

“Pressure Drop” is a cover of the Toots and the Maytals hit. This version features Richards on vocals playing with Toots and the Maytals. It ws recorded in 2003 and released in December 2007 as the B-side of Richards’ iTunes re-release of “Run Rudolph Run.” The following track “You Got The Silver” sounds like an audience recording. It dates from the May 29th, 1999 Rolling Stones show at Cannstatter Wasen in Stuttgart, Germany, the first show of the 1999 Bridges to Babylon/No Security European Tour.

“Get Off Of My Cloud” was recorded in late 1974 for Alexis Korner’s LP Get Off Of My Cloud released in March 1975. It features Richards narrative the lyrics in a strange, aggressive voice throughout. This is certainly one of the strangest tracks in this collection. “Let’s Go Steady Again” is an Emotional Rescue outtake recorded in Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas in January 1979. The Sam Cooke cover was left off the album and never included on any Rolling Stones compilation, but it was included in the New Barbarians setlist when they toured later in the year and many live recordings circulate.

“Sure The One You Need” is a Jagger/Richards song given to Ron Wood for his first solo album I’ve Got My Own Album To Do in 1974. This is an outtake recorded at Wood’s home with Keith on vocals. “Before They Make Me Run” is a live recording from the Olympia in Paris on July 11th, 2003 and was included as a bonus track on the “Biggest Mistake” single released on August 21st, 2006.

“Key To The Highway” is a bonus track on the Japan release of his last solo album Main Offender released in 1992. “Can’t Be Seen” is taken from the Atlantic City Pay-Per-View broadcast and found on countless titles including Terrifying (SODD-064/65/66). “Slipping Away” is the same alternate version that surfaced several years ago on the Steel Wheel monitor mixes and has been pressed many times.

The following two songs are taken from Richards’ rare solo tours. “Happy” is taken from the official release Live at the Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1988 which originally was issued as A Stone Alone (Swingin’ Pig TSP 085-2). “Gimme Shelter” dates from the Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos short tour, recorded on December 17th 1992. The rest of the disc is occupied by various live tracks of his songs written for the Stones including “Connection,” one of his earliest songs (released in 1967) and resurrected for both the Voodoo Lounge tour in 1995 and the Bigger Bang tour in 2006. The artwork is very clean and SODD utilize several interesting Richards photographs from his career. Overall it’s a good compendium of Richards’ talent and career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 22:59 by exilestones.

Date: November 27, 2014 22:53

Any new insights in the mono/stereo comparison? According to the labels mono and stereoside have the same length: [www.discogs.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-27 22:56 by Britney.

Date: November 28, 2014 03:04

All I can tell you from listening to it is the MONO mix is hotter and sounds better to my ears but then again all MONO mixes do to me....the mono Sticky Fingers LP for example blows the stereo mix away even (surprisedly) "Can't You Hear Me Knockin? "

Date: November 28, 2014 17:00

Zagalo
Also released on CD in 2008 on Little Steven's Christmas A Go-Go compilation, "Courtesy of Mindless Rrecords, LLC" and "available for the first time on CD"
Nice digipack and a fun listen smiling smiley

It's the first track on the compilation, if memory serves. I got three of those compilations from Steve himself when I interviewed him a few years ago. Very nice indeed!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 3, 2014 01:13

Not a bad version by Tyler and Paisley with more memorable guitar playing on that one track than on his latest album ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 4, 2014 17:28

Britney
Any new insights in the mono/stereo comparison? According to the labels mono and stereoside have the same length: [www.discogs.com]

I compared the stereo and mono promo-sides and found that both feature the regular mono-version.

www.rsundercover.eu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home