Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Post Windmill without and with slide Flack
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 2, 2010 11:15

[www.sendspace.com]

please check these two... any info are welcome

Winmill 1 & 2.rar

Re: Post Windmill without and with slide Flack
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 2, 2010 11:37

Interesting!

Never noticed (or heard) the version without slide before.
It sounds like the slide is mixed out on the CYWOTW version - or could it be that it is an overdub (on the other)?

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 2, 2010 15:18

No-Slide -lots more piano around 1'50" onwards

Slide - available on VGP Fast Talking & VGP Place Pigalle
No Slide - available on VGP Could You Walk On The Water & STE Place Pigalle
(There could be other sources, these are the ones I have)

Now, WHEN was this recorded. All the above releases call this track WIND CALL.

Martin Elliott writes this about reference 559 - Windmill - 13-15 Jan 1973, Village Recorders, LA. - " they are also said to have worked on a track called Windmill but there is no available recording. It may have been a precurser to another out-take called Wind Call which was recorded in 1974".

Karnbach/Beanson has Windmill recorded at this session but unavailable.

Felix Aeppli has this as reference 0.227A with the above dates & place and states Windmill, also known as Wind Call, is available on Could You Walk On The Water & Fast Talking,but makes no reference that these are 2 different mixes.

nzentgraf has reference 730116A 16-18 Jan 1973 S.I.R. Studios, LA where he mentions "Recordings & rehearsals for the upcoming benifit gig", no reference to the specific track here.

Martin Elliott has Wind Call as 7-15 Dec 1974 at Musicland, Munich. Neither Felix nor nzentgraf nor Karnbach/Beanson make reference to the song in these sessions.

These are all the references I could find quickly.

I don't think it's Mick Taylor playing the slide. Mick is very precise & exact in his articulation. The slide playing on this track is much more tentative,

I see no reference to 2 different mixes of this, looks like you've discovered something new, vancouver, well done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 15:26 by vox12string.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:24

vox12string
No-Slide -lots more piano around 1'50" onwards

Slide - available on VGP Fast Talking & VGP Place Pigalle
No Slide - available on VGP Could You Walk On The Water & STE Place Pigalle
(There could be other sources, these are the ones I have)

Now, WHEN was this recorded. All the above releases call this track WIND CALL.

Martin Elliott writes this about reference 559 - Windmill - 13-15 Jan 1973, Village Recorders, LA. - " they are also said to have worked on a track called Windmill but there is no available recording. It may have been a precurser to another out-take called Wind Call which was recorded in 1974".

Karnbach/Beanson has Windmill recorded at this session but unavailable.

Felix Aeppli has this as reference 0.227A with the above dates & place and states Windmill, also known as Wind Call, is available on Could You Walk On The Water & Fast Talking,but makes no reference that these are 2 different mixes.

nzentgraf has reference 730116A 16-18 Jan 1973 S.I.R. Studios, LA where he mentions "Recordings & rehearsals for the upcoming benifit gig", no reference to the specific track here.

Martin Elliott has Wind Call as 7-15 Dec 1974 at Musicland, Munich. Neither Felix nor nzentgraf nor Karnbach/Beanson make reference to the song in these sessions.

These are all the references I could find quickly.

I don't think it's Mick Taylor playing the slide. Mick is very precise & exact in his articulation. The slide playing on this track is much more tentative,

I see no reference to 2 different mixes of this, looks like you've discovered something new, vancouver, well done.

thanks yes there is a confusing wincall rec during black & blue session ,

windmill dec 73 there is varous sound quality on this session dec 73.

the unknown tracks have you seen her aXXX ao..i just checked if these are stereo or mono.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 28, 2012 13:38

Came here after finding out a bout the "slide" version in teagueraw's latest outtakes reworks.

I'd never noticed the difference between the CYWOTW version (no slide) and the "Fast Talking" version ? I went back to it and the slide is indeed there but very faint so the "vancouver" version would have to be a new mix.

It does sound like Taylor to me, in fact with the slide it reminds me a lot of the "Special" track on his unreleased second LP (lo-fi version here : [www.youtube.com]) ...could it be an early version?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 13:44 by gotdablouse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home