Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

UNDER MY THUMB - version off "Got Live If You Want It" LP
Posted by: Gocol ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:50

On a recent post by blakeeik he listed this :

Under My Thumb (1966-10-01-2, New Castle) (2:40)
Released on Got LIVE If You Want It! (1966 LP); replaced with an alternate version in 1986 when released on CD

Is that right ? And if so has anyone got the track off the original LP for download ?

Re: UNDER MY THUMB - version off "Got Live If You Want It" LP
Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: May 5, 2011 02:34

you cannot post official material on this website

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 5, 2011 13:26

The first German CD from the 1980s contained also the original LP version.

Posted by: richardsberry ()
Date: May 5, 2011 14:02

maybe just a different mix ?

Date: May 5, 2011 14:23

midnrambler
The first German CD from the 1980s contained also the original LP version.

True - I had updated my pdf when I discovered this fact.

There are 2 versions recorded on different nights of the tour - not just different mixes.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 15:45

As far as I know the one on the LP is Newcastle October 1, 2nd show.
The one on the Abkco CD is Bristol October 7, 2nd show

If I remember correctly, Satisfaction on LP is 1 minute longer respect to the Abkco CD, although they are both from Bristol show

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 5, 2011 18:14

The original London CD utilized mostly the same audio content as the original
stereo LP.

The original ABKCO CD is in mono, but does *not* correspond with the original
mono mix. Indeed, in a bizarre move, ABKCO singled out Got Live If You Want It! for a complete re-working/re-assembling. Among some of the resultant changes: the album now has a "different" introduction (the original mix cut off the intro after the introduction of Bill Wyman), "Under My Thumb" has a different vocal, various segues are different, and "Fortune Teller" is suddenly an alternate mix, with no harmonica and extra percussion overdubs (among other things).

As ABKCO's new reissue seems to be a straight transfer of their re-assembled
version from the eighties (and doesn't sound much better here, frankly), one needs both an "ABKCO-mix" version and a "London mix" version-in practical terms, a London disc and either ABKCO disc-to have everything. And even with that, the London *still* doesn't quite match the stereo LP.

[www.lukpac.org]
The mixes are very different (especially vocal part). Do not have old ABKCO in hand to compare.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 5, 2011 19:19

ironbelly
The original London CD utilized mostly the same audio content as the original
stereo LP.

True, but on my London 820 137-2 they faded out and in again the audience noise between all tracks. Sounds kinda strange.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:25

DAC 064 Animal Duds, has the original LP version with the fades in & out as on the record - side 1 is UMT to Fortune Teller, Side 2 Last Time to Satisfaction, there are no fades in between songs. UMT has Marimbas, Fortune Teller has Harmonica

Date: May 6, 2011 20:27

vox12string
DAC 064 Animal Duds, has the original LP version with the fades in & out as on the record - side 1 is UMT to Fortune Teller, Side 2 Last Time to Satisfaction, there are no fades in between songs. UMT has Marimbas, Fortune Teller has Harmonica

VGP's Reelin' and Rockin' contains the mono version. I am not sure if it is a separate mono mix, or just a flattened mix of the stereo mix. Anyone know?

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: May 10, 2011 02:31

ABKCO is LOST & VERY SILLY!! No need even pointing out their mistakes and overlooked items..Instead lets make a list of what they have done right over the last thirty five years..Ready?

?????????????????????????? Cant quite think of anything!!!

OK, they hired Bob Ludwig to remaster the collection in 2002...But told him to only use the Mono versions (except for 6 songs on 12x5) See, ABKCO even messed that up....Amazing thing is...ABKCO did the exact same thing in 1986 when they hired Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs to remaster the collection...But they told Mobile Fidelity to use only the Mono versions....?????? Doink!!!! Seems every twenty years or so, ABKCO likes to show the entire record industry exactly how to goof up a vast extensive catalogue of one of the greatest Rock N Roll bands of all time!....And a band that has a fan base just waiting to buy up all the audio and video rarities...But will ABKCO listen one bit to their CD & DVD buying clients?...NOOOOO!! Instead they continue to put out half done & poor selling products..
Instead of circling their wagons and closing their doors, Abkco should embrace their loyale fans and actually put out the missing material that has been Bootlegged for the last thirty five years.People have been begging for the following for the last 25- 30 years...
1.ALL THE STEREO MIXES THAT ARE NOT CURRENTLY ON CD.
2.ALL THE PROMO FILMS...And I Repeat all 7 Promo Films..Not 2!!
3. CHARLIE IS MY DARLING MOVIE( With the full concert that PETER WHITEHEAD FILMED)
4. Outakes & Unreleased songs
5. TV Appearances DVD( Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ready Steady Go! Shivaree, Mike Douglass, Red Skelton,Hollywood A Go Go) to name a few...ABKCO already owns the music..They need to spend $ to clear the footage...Other companies seem to do it!!

ABKCO should be do all that before we put out Remixes of Sympathy For The Devil By FatBoy Slim!!

Soulsurvivor

Date: May 10, 2011 03:02

soulsurvivor1
ABKCO is LOST & VERY SILLY!! No need even pointing out their mistakes and overlooked items..Instead lets make a list of what they have done right over the last thirty five years..Ready?

ABKCO should be do all that before we put out Remixes of Sympathy For The Devil By FatBoy Slim!!

Soulsurvivor

Well, ABKCO actaully did a much better job in 2002 then they ever did before. I actually like the mono mixes, but I sure would love to have stereo versions, and the promos, and everything else you said. I am just happy I still don't have to listen to my cds from the 80s.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 10, 2011 14:09

soulsurvivor1

OK, they hired Bob Ludwig to remaster the collection in 2002...But told him to only use the Mono versions (except for 6 songs on 12x5) See, ABKCO even messed that up....Amazing thing is...ABKCO did the exact same thing in 1986 when they hired Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs to remaster the collection...But they told Mobile Fidelity to use only the Mono versions....?????? Doink!!!! Seems every twenty years or so, ABKCO likes to show the entire record industry exactly how to goof up a vast extensive catalogue of one of the greatest Rock N Roll bands of all time!....And a band that has a fan base just waiting to buy up all the audio and video rarities...But will ABKCO listen one bit to their CD & DVD buying clients?...NOOOOO!! Instead they continue to put out half done & poor selling products..
Instead of circling their wagons and closing their doors, Abkco should embrace their loyale fans and actually put out the missing material that has been Bootlegged for the last thirty five years.People have been begging for the following for the last 25- 30 years...
1.ALL THE STEREO MIXES THAT ARE NOT CURRENTLY ON CD.
2.ALL THE PROMO FILMS...And I Repeat all 7 Promo Films..Not 2!!
3. CHARLIE IS MY DARLING MOVIE( With the full concert that PETER WHITEHEAD FILMED)
4. Outakes & Unreleased songs
5. TV Appearances DVD( Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ready Steady Go! Shivaree, Mike Douglass, Red Skelton,Hollywood A Go Go) to name a few...ABKCO already owns the music..They need to spend $ to clear the footage...Other companies seem to do it!!

Soulsurvivor

Everytime you post something on this board, it has something to do with how much you hate and despise ABKCO. Don't you have better things to do?

You asked for the good things ABKCO has done. Well, I can come up with quite a few things:

They released Rock And Roll Circus. Both the CD & DVD.

The 2002 remasters where nice, and there where more first time stereo mixes than those on 12X5: What about I've Been Loving You Too Long for example?

They released some extremely nice Singles Box sets, featuring the 3 UK EP's.

The Deluxe Get Yer 'Ya-Ya's' Out! was fantastic.

Last Year they made a beautiful vinyl box set of all UK albums, including 2 EP's. The sound on these where incredible.

And now they're releasing The Stones in HD quality on loss-less files via the internet! Fantastic.

Jody Klein, has said that ABKCO will release outtakes someday, but only when The Stones are no longer functioning. I think that's ok. Let's just be patient. To everything there is a season.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 00:53

Ok Lets take each item you listed

* Rock N Roll Circus was already released in 1994 by ABKCO..The quality was better on the rerelease but there was opportunity to release bonus footage....Not done

* The sound on the Remasters was quite an upgrade, however I have a few questions
1. Why not use the Stereo masters of songs like Satisfaction and Get Off My Cloud
They are properly on Mono if you buy the three Singles Box Sets so Mono fans can still hear the Mono mixes.They should offer the Stones fan something new.
2. ABKCO went through the trouble of hiring BOB Ludwig( a very repectable sound engineer)to remaster the collection using 5.1 surroung sound. How can you achieve surround sound if you don't even have speaker separation? What's the point? It's especially silly when you have True Stereo Tracks Available..and you don't use them. Where is the logic?

3.As a side note; Why not keep all the albums in Mono & offer a True Stereo Package of All The Stereo Tracks? Or offer the albums in Mono or Stereo(where applicable)
and let the buyer decide. Hey you might even sell more CDS that way.

* The Deluxe Ya Ya'a Was A Good Idea But Fell Short On Stones Material.
1. Most Stones Fans already have Ya Yas 100 times over.
2. 5 additional Stones Tracks to fill in the missing songs from a typical 69 set is nice but falls short as the main attraction for a box set.

3. THe opportunity to offer bonus tracks from MSG were and ABKCO choose not to do so. THey could have worked with The Surviving Maysal Brother and put out a Stones at MSG 1969 DVD & CD. All the shows at MSG were filmed in their entirety...Where are they? If not now..When? Perfect opportunity..Wasted. The Little Queenie mixing session and the Dead & Stones waiting for a helicopter is definetely cool.

* The Box sets are nice but again I have a zilion Box Sets By ABKCO with all the same stuff over & over. How much better could the sound be? ABKCO released CDs & Albums Remastered in 2002..I have all the CDS & Albums...All they did was Box them over.

* As far as the high def stuff..That just means that they are offering downloadable files on the internet in a WAVE or FLAC file. If you own the CDS or albums you already own WAVE FILES.

I realize that I sound frustrated..That's becaue I am. I look at the DVDs and CDS from less popular & bands from the 60s and see that there is a DVD TV apearances collection..Live CDs & Outakes..BBC Stuff, live..etc...I also know that if a company like Rhino or Warner Brothers, CBS, Virgin owned the Stones 60s catalogue we would be swimming in rarities on DVD & CD.

Soulsurvivor

Not trying to argue with you BlueRanger..Just my opinion

I think the best thing ABKCO ever did was hire BoB Ludwig..The early albums do have a resonance that they never had before...Good Job BoB!

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: May 11, 2011 02:47

Preach on Soulsurivor. I agree with you 100%. ABKCO is sitting on a treasure trove of Stones material and is doing nothing with it.

ABKCO, like most record labels, is very concerned about the bootleg market cutting into their profits and costing them millions of dollars. Understandable. But if they don't like it they should open their vaults and release the stuff. It's been over 40 years.

Lets take a look:

1) You forgot to mention the documentary film Charlie Is My Darling which they have never released. Years ago ABKCO told someone I know that there was no interested in the movie. Yeah, okay. That's why it's been on the bootleg market for almost 30 years now - because no one is interested. Lets look at the thousands of views it get on YouTube. If no one cares than why does ABKCO have all this stuff pulled off YouTube? Why is it on the bootleg market if no one is interested?

2) There are still over 20 songs the Stones recorded in TRUE STEREO which ABKCO has never released to this day. The reason why fans don't complain is because they're not aware of the fact that ABKCO is sitting on all these unreleased stereo tracks. Mono is fine, but we have the mono mixes on several different releases already, so why not the stereo? Almost all of the songs from the British and American 'Out Of Our Heads' albums, and the singles, were recorded in true stereo.

3) How about putting out a DVD of the Stones TV appearances? From what I understand ABKCO has a lot of the MASTER PRINTS of the Stones appearances on TV shows. Could you imagine what the picture quality looks like on this stuff as compared with the bootleg versions? I heard ABKCO was going to put out a DVD of all the Stones television appearances year ago but they backed out of the project because they claimed it cost too much money to clear the rights to the footage. Again, they're not looking at the bright side of things. First off they would be killing the sales of the bootleg DVDs that are on the market. Secondly, With the exception of some of the early covers the Stones did ABKCO doesn't have to pay to clear the rights to any Jagger/Richards composition BECAUSE THEY OWN THE RIGHTS TO THOSE SONGS - so they're saving a fortune. Most companies that put out music DVDs of television shows have to pay for both the footage and the music. Again, look at how many times some of the Stones old television appearances have been viewed on YouTube - some have been viewed over a million times. There is obviously an audience for this which ABKCO chooses to ignore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-11 04:28 by originalstones.

Date: May 25, 2011 21:01

Yes this is all very interesting ( if a bit trainspottery to paraphrase Keef ) but to return to my original question , could anybody upload the original live "Under My Thumb" from the vinyl "Got Live If You Want It" LP ?

Surely this does not count as an official release as it is on a defunct format i.e. vinyl .

Date: May 25, 2011 22:56

Gocol
Surely this does not count as an official release as it is on a defunct format i.e. vinyl .

That is a good one! Vinyl is no longer official because it is old...... I'm rollin'! smiling smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 26, 2011 00:00

Gocol
Why don't you dig Campannella's upload of London disk on well known site? The sound of that disk is almost the same as vinyl. The content is the same. Are you looking for vinyl surface noise? winking smiley

Date: May 27, 2011 13:14

Erm ....blakeeik , I was not being totally serious there y'know ...............confused smiley

Date: May 27, 2011 18:20

Gocol
Erm ....blakeeik , I was not being totally serious there y'know ...............confused smiley

I know, that is why I was laughing so much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1137
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home