Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Post - The Who Oakland 1976
Posted by: Bol ()
Date: March 18, 2011 16:00

This is the first night of the two ‘Day On The Green’ concerts at Oakland County Stadium from 9th October 1976 (John Entwistle’s 32nd birthday). I was re-recording this one for myself to include the encores from the second night (I do not have the second night) and thought it would be a good one to share. Good/excellent audience recording of a Moon era Who show. Typical 1976 set list with the rare encore (for the time) from the following night.

Part 1 – [www.mediafire.com]
I Can’t Explain / Substitute / My Wife / Baba O’Riley / Squeeze Box

Part 2 – [www.mediafire.com]
Behind Blue Eyes / Dreaming From The Waist / Magic Bus

Part 3 – [www.mediafire.com]
Amazing Journey / Sparks / The Acid Queen / Fiddle About / Pinball Wizard / I’m Free / Tommy’s Holiday Camp / We’re Not Gonna Take It

Part 4 – [www.mediafire.com]
Summertime Blues / My Generation~Join Together~My Generation Blues

Part 5 – [www.mediafire.com]
Won’t Get Fooled Again / Shakin’ All Over~Johnny B Goode (10.10.76)

Re: OT Post - The Who Oakland 1976
Posted by: tjkrol ()
Date: March 18, 2011 19:14

This is a very good recording and excellent performance. Supposedly recorded by a Dead Head with very good equipment.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 19, 2011 01:30

tjkrol
This is a very good recording and excellent performance. Supposedly recorded by a Dead Head with very good equipment.

HAIL to the Dead! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 19, 2011 04:40

Attended both shows. Had a great time! Quite the crowd mix...Who fans & Dead Heads! Another tremendous Uncle Bobo production. Keith Moon was on fire.

THX Bol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-19 04:41 by No Expectations.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: March 19, 2011 05:58

"Quite the crowd mix...Who fans & Dead Heads!"

- haw... here's a nice anecdote & photo from a friend of mine, who gave the permission to post it:

My first Who show (dork content)

(lousy foto I took)

So me, my girlfriend, my brother and some chick with a car drove 5 hours from Carson City, NV to Oakland Stadium. I insisted we leave at 3:00 in the morning or something....so we could get there early and get up close. This was very exciting.

Bill Graham prided himself on the diverse bills of his shows. Opening band for the Who that day was The Grateful Dead.

So we get into the stadium and run up to the front of the lawn by the stage and claim our spot. After awhile The Dead come on and everything is groovy you know.....

Four hours later...apologies in advance to any Dead fans.....but good f**king Christ!!!......that's a long ass opening band....sitting in the sun....waiting for The Who....all this bitterness I have didn't come from a vacuum....I earned it.

Anyway, I was young...I took it like a man, but I hated the Grateful Dead for many many years afterward.

I'll never forget when The Who finally came on. First Bill Graham introduces them and then Keith and Pete ran onto the stage with Pete chasing Keith around the drumset Keystone Cops style, Roger comes out and does a cartwheel, Entwistle strolls on, cool as can be, and bang, all of a sudden, it was all worth it.

October 10.1976:
Oakland, Stadium
I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Baba O'Riley
Squeeze Box
Behind Blue Eyes
Dreaming From The Waist
Magic Bus
Amazing Journey
Sparks
The Acid Queen
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
Summertime Blues
My Generation
Join Together
My Generation Blues
Won't Get Fooled Again
Shakin' All Over,
Spoonful
Johnny B. Goode

The Shakin' All Over encore was a surprise. The Who weren't 'doing encores' back then, but Bill Graham came out after the last song's applause started to die down, and gave a double thumbs up signal to the audience to keep cheering, and he somehow guilted an encore out of them.

Only slightly dull moment was maybe Squeeze Box in retrospect.

The stadium was a little more than 2/3 full. The Who/Dead did 2 shows that weekend.

*text & photo -- Blair Miller, San Francisco

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: March 19, 2011 20:51

Many thanks
Maremma

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 21, 2011 03:48

Milan
"Quite the crowd mix...Who fans & Dead Heads!"

- haw... here's a nice anecdote & photo from a friend of mine, who gave the permission to post it:

My first Who show (dork content)

(lousy foto I took)

So me, my girlfriend, my brother and some chick with a car drove 5 hours from Carson City, NV to Oakland Stadium. I insisted we leave at 3:00 in the morning or something....so we could get there early and get up close. This was very exciting.

Bill Graham prided himself on the diverse bills of his shows. Opening band for the Who that day was The Grateful Dead.

So we get into the stadium and run up to the front of the lawn by the stage and claim our spot. After awhile The Dead come on and everything is groovy you know.....

Four hours later...apologies in advance to any Dead fans.....but good f**king Christ!!!......that's a long ass opening band....sitting in the sun....waiting for The Who....all this bitterness I have didn't come from a vacuum....I earned it.

Anyway, I was young...I took it like a man, but I hated the Grateful Dead for many many years afterward.

I'll never forget when The Who finally came on. First Bill Graham introduces them and then Keith and Pete ran onto the stage with Pete chasing Keith around the drumset Keystone Cops style, Roger comes out and does a cartwheel, Entwistle strolls on, cool as can be, and bang, all of a sudden, it was all worth it.

October 10.1976:
Oakland, Stadium
I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Baba O'Riley
Squeeze Box
Behind Blue Eyes
Dreaming From The Waist
Magic Bus
Amazing Journey
Sparks
The Acid Queen
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
Summertime Blues
My Generation
Join Together
My Generation Blues
Won't Get Fooled Again
Shakin' All Over,
Spoonful
Johnny B. Goode

The Shakin' All Over encore was a surprise. The Who weren't 'doing encores' back then, but Bill Graham came out after the last song's applause started to die down, and gave a double thumbs up signal to the audience to keep cheering, and he somehow guilted an encore out of them.

Only slightly dull moment was maybe Squeeze Box in retrospect.

The stadium was a little more than 2/3 full. The Who/Dead did 2 shows that weekend.

*text & photo -- Blair Miller, San Francisco

I don't think the Dead considered themselves the "opening band" but rather one of two acts performing that day. There were as many Dead fans as Who fans (perhaps more) in the crowd and the Dead gave a full performance as they always did. In my opinion they were the better act of the two BOTH days!

Date: March 21, 2011 14:12

I believe this is the following release:

[www.thewho.net]

There is a 1st gen of the 10.09.76 show & and a low gen of the 10.10.76 show floating around, possibly at longliverock.org.

Date: March 21, 2011 20:44

If you're interested:

The Who 1976-10-09 Oakland, CA (Jerry Moore remaster)
[longliverock.org]

The Who 1976-10-10 Oakland, CA
[longliverock.org]

Free to register.

Date: March 22, 2011 15:26

tjkrol
I believe this is the following release:

[www.thewho.net]]

This recording is definitely 9th October (as John Entwistle's birthday is name checked) with the encore from 10th.

Date: March 22, 2011 19:35

I screwed up on the link at thewho.net.........sorry.

Date: March 23, 2011 00:48

No problem

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 23, 2011 03:43

Bol,

Do you have the Toronto show from 1989 the one from PPV? It has smokin version of "Love Ain't For Keeping" on it.

Date: March 23, 2011 04:01

I believe you may be looking for the following show:

[www.thewholive.de]

Date: March 23, 2011 10:30

I have Toronto 17.12.82 but only one show from 1989 (Wembley 24 October)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home