Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Help with Dimeadozen
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 13, 2010 14:13

I wonder if someone could educate a computer simpleton ? How do get stuff off Dimeadozen....I completed a successful registration but still may as well have been sitting at the controls of the space shuttle ????? I found a couple of shows I wanted using the Catagories but that's as far as it went...appreciate any help, EddieByword..P.S. A friend of mine reckoned you need a special program to download but he didn't know any more than that (ie. which program ?)

Re: Help with Dimeadozen
Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: August 13, 2010 14:22

You can't just *get* stuff off dime.....it's a bittorrent site.You need to be broadband enabled and you must get a bittorrent client which lets you d/l the torrents.
Most torrents come as flac files or sometimes .shn files so will need something like flac frontend or traders little helper to convert the files to .wav in order to burn to cd.
Your best bet is to read the FAQ section on dime first of all.

Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: August 13, 2010 14:22

You need special software for bittorrents. I' m using utorrent which is small and easy. Others do prefer Azureus or something else.

Utorrent can be found here

[www.utorrent.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2010 14:57

Yup you don't DL from Dime like you DL from Rapidshare. The software you need aka "client" will put you in touch with other Dime members who have the show you want.

Thru your Internet line the music will migrate from their computers to yours bits by bits. When you've completed the migration you become a seeder that is you have to give back the music to somone who'll need it after you.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:09

you also use the search box to find the shows... to find the stones' 1969 shows you type for example:

+rolling +stones +1969

smiling smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:59

I second Rolling on's use of utorrent. Been using it for years & it's never let me down.

One thing to watch is the number of 'seeders' there are. If there are no seeders you're out of luck, there's no-one you can connect to to be able to download. Sometimes you'll see a number of 'peers' all stuck on, say, 21%. You'll be able to get up to that 21% but no more, then you have to wait & hope that a seeder goes online so you can finish off the whole torrent.

ROCKS OFF has a good bit torrent help page, their tracker, unfortunately seems to be inactive at the moment

[www.rocksoff.org]

hungercity.org & demonoid.com are 2 trackers with tons of Stones stuff, the latter quite difficult to get into.

Date: August 13, 2010 16:08

Thanks for everthing there, (and Brown Moses' suggestion too look at the Dime FAQ - which I'll do),a picture is slowly forming, just to clarify; Rolling on mentioned Utorrent and Azureus, just to make sure I've undersood this, these are software(s) known as bit torrent clients a.k.a. clients one of which I'll need to contact someone who has a show I'd like.? I'm guessing this client software will then also allow me to pass that show on to someone else if someone else contacts me requesting the show ? (again via this client software) Am I good so far ? Thanks again, EddieByword

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 16:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: robbiebobbob ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:46

I use bitorrent which appears to be exactly the same as utorrent. Also I use winamp which plays all the downloads direct from flac files and you can burn CD's straight from the play list.

I'm suprised winamp doesn't get mentioned more often as it is great

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 13, 2010 17:09

EddieByword
Thanks for everthing there, (and Brown Moses' suggestion too look at the Dime FAQ - which I'll do),a picture is slowly forming, just to clarify; Rolling on mentioned Utorrent and Azureus, just to make sure I've undersood this, these are software(s) known as bit torrent clients a.k.a. clients one of which I'll need to contact someone who has a show I'd like.? I'm guessing this client software will then also allow me to pass that show on to someone else if someone else contacts me requesting the show ? (again via this client software) Am I good so far ? Thanks again, EddieByword

See also this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

I think it's helpful.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2010 17:15

Azureus is for Macs only. From what I've heard it used to be great but since it became Vuze Mac users have switched to Utorrent massively...

Date: August 13, 2010 17:16

kleermaker
EddieByword

See also this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

I think it's helpful.
O.k. Thanks again, a lot to take in in a couple of hours ...but I think I'm getting the idea bit by bit (no pun etc.etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 17:18 by EddieByword.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:29

dcba
Azureus is for Macs only. From what I've heard it used to be great but since it became Vuze Mac users have switched to Utorrent massively...

I use Vuze (former name Azureus), I have Windows (Vista in my case). Works fine.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 14, 2010 00:28

Azureus works on all platforms, Windows, Macs, Linux - it's written in Java x)

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: August 14, 2010 09:55

finaly,

after installing a client, click the one you like to download from Dime or Hungercity and choose [OPEN] in the pop-up screen.
When you choose [SAVE] , only the downloadlink will be saved in the default directory.

best of luck,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home