Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

REQUEST: Helsinki 1970
Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: August 26, 2009 21:06

Hi All,
I don't really like to request anything, as people give SO much here & I just can't get a grip on uploading- or bit-torrent. Maybe I'm just too old :-).
The Japanese 'Dog & Cat' label has just released a cd, which contains an incomplete recording of the Helsinki 1970 show- which (as is the norm nowadays) apparrently came from a recent torrent (?).
I could've sworn I'd seen this posted on here, but I must be wrong- as I've searched high & low for it, without success.
I'd be GENUINELY grateful if some kind soul could maybe upload this recording- or just a sample of it, in ANY format.
Thanks in advance for any help- I'm sure I could offer a favour in return :-)

Re: REQUEST: Helsinki 1970
Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: August 26, 2009 21:15

Helsinki 1970 is still here (7-zip archive-file)

[rapidshare.com]

But this is not from The DAC label. I have overread this first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-26 21:21 by Rolling on.

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: August 26, 2009 21:30

Live In Helsinki 1970 (Dog N Cat DAC-095)

(66:30) Olympiastadion, Helsinki, Finland - September 2nd, 1970: Introduction, Jumping Jack Flash, Roll Over Beethoven, Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Love In Vain, Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, Dead Flowers, Midnight Rambler. Baltiska Hallen, Malmö, Sweden: Live With Me, Let It Rock, Little Queenie, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Street Fighting Man

The Rolling Stones show in Finland was the second of the twenty-one date tour of Europe. This was their first European tour in three years and the presented a setlist very similar to the one used in 1969. The show at the Olympiastadion in Helsinki was a total mystery for almost forty years since no tape source ever circulated. Recently about two-thirds of the show surfaced in a fair to good recording. It is thin sounding and was probably taped very close to the stage and often suffers from distortion in louder parts and is surprisingly listenable and enjoyable.

Dog N Cat are the first silver label to come out with an edition of this new tape on the simply named Live In Helsinki 1970. Not having heard the torrent makes it difficult to compare, but since this was advertised as having poor sound it’s hard to think DAC is any worse than what was posted.

The tape picks up with the Sam Culter introduction before the Stones hit the stage with “Jumping Jack Flash” and what is immediately obvious is the band retains the energy level from the opening night. The opening songs fly by in a blur. “Sympathy For The Devil” is excellent with Taylor playing a bizarre abstract second solo by the end of the piece.

“We’d like to say it’s a gas to be in Finland and we’d like to do ‘Stray Cat Blues’” are Jagger’s first words to the audience. It’s on this song where their new brass section of Bobby Keys on saxophone and Jim Price on trombone first make their presence heard by adding to the harmony. The track still retains its swagger however and is very effective.

Afterwards Mick tells the audience: “We’re gonna slow it down a little for you, we’re gonna do some blues. We’re gonna do three blues songs. I hope you dig it.” When “Love In Vain” was played on the US tour the previous year it was unfamiliar until the release of Let It Bleed in December, 1969. The brass section again plays an important part but the guitars still carry the piece.

“We’re gonna do … we’re gonna sit down” Mick says before the two song acoustic set, “Prodigal Son” and the still unreleased “You Gotta Move.” It sounds as if Richards has given up on the metal National resonator and gone to wood body acoustic producing a more natural and organic timbre to the pieces. Another unreleased song “Dead Flowers” follows in a slow tempo and the Helsinki tape ends with a furious, nine minute “Midnight Rambler.”

DAC complete the disc with six songs taken from the previous evening in Malmö, Sweden, the opening night of the tour. They label picks up not with “Gimme Shelter,” which followed in the set, but with “Live With Me.” The sound quality is definitely worse than Helsinki and is pulled straight from the Vinyl Gang release Made In Sweden (VGP-105-1/2/3), a three disc set with all three Swedish shows. It is nice they include this material to offer a “complete” show, it really is unnecessary because the focus of interest is the Helsinki tape. Live In Helsinki 1970 is packaged in a standard jewel case with a plan looking front cover and pictures from the tour on the artwork. This is a good release by DAC who really bombed on their prior release, and is worth having for the those who love the 1970 tour.

Date: August 26, 2009 21:50

WOW!- that was quick- MANY thanks guys! :-)))). The only problem I have now is: I'm just getting used to a new laptop & for some reason, every time I go to a Rapidshare link- the page just won't load :-(.
So- if either of you are computer experts- I could do with your help there too! LOL.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 26, 2009 22:18

MrsHop, if you can wait a couple of weeks I can send it along with the Essen 73 show I told you about.

Date: August 27, 2009 00:18

Rank Stranger
MrsHop, if you can wait a couple of weeks I can send it along with the Essen 73 show I told you about.

That's VERY kind of you & I really appreciate it. Considering I was only 3 years old when this show was recorded & it's only just surfaced- I'm sure I can wait a little longer! MANY THANKS :-)

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:44

Here's the link to the original torrent on dime posted by blackrooster. I suspect DAC lifted this for their release. Still appear to be several seeds

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: August 27, 2009 12:34

Thanks EVERYONE for being so helpful- I really appreciate it :-).
Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue how to use the 'bit-torrent' sites, like Dime. But, I can download Flac files & convert them to Wav (& that took me a LONG time to figure out!).
Anyway, I eventually managed to access the Rapidshare files (thanks again :-)) & was able to listen to this intriguing 'nugget'. Obviously, no disrespect to the kind people who helped me out, but- the guy who reviewed the DAC release (lifted directly from this torrent), must be a MUCH more hardcore fan than I am!. Personally- I found it virtually unlistenable.
I know I'm one of a dying breed of people who like to collect factory-pressed, silver boots (when I can afford to). But, I don't buy stuff just to own it. I can't see how the most devoted of fans could find this a pleasurable listening experience (?) & with DAC's recent track-record of actually making great sounding torrents sound worse- I think I'm going to give this one a wide birth.
BUT- again- many thanks everyone for helping out- truely.

Date: August 27, 2009 13:31

Just a little update:
Maybe I was being a bit harsh. I'd only judged the recording through my pc's speakers & the bass must've been overloading them. I just burned a cdr, took a listen through my hi-fi & it's actually not bad at all :-). Certainly a nice find after so many years.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 27, 2009 13:41

Oh I should have seen this thread earlier, MrsHop - I'd be happy to send you a copy....please let me know the next time you're interested in a torrent-CDR-copy....I owe you a couple, you know!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home