Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

One question regarding editing
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 23, 2009 13:07

I use Audacity to correct the speed but now I've a doubt I used it in an uncorrect way.

Up to now, I used the pitch intonation, which means that I decrease or increase the key-tune of the track of a semitone or a tone, with the result that the length of the two tracks are the same.
Example: HTW in A can be corrected to G but last 4 minutes in both versions.

There is the alternative solution, i.e.: to change the speed.
In this case there's a modification of the key-tune but also a correspondent modification of the length of a track.
Example: HTW in A last 4 minutes and corrected to G last 4,30.

What is the correct approach?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-23 13:10 by straycat58.

Re: One question regarding editing
Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: May 23, 2009 13:19

If you change the key, the length should change.

Forget Audacity and try to get Sonic Foundry Forge. If you want quality, you will have to pay, but Forge is a fantastic software.

Date: May 23, 2009 13:26

Tks Haristone. Hence I messed up all my past works. (shit!)

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 23, 2009 14:00

Sound Forge is good but older versions can't cut on sector boundaries, I don't know if newer versions can do this.

If you don't know what this means consider a film that you want to splice. You will cut the film in between individual frames before splicing, you don't cut through a frame. It's the same in digital audio, there are frames or 'sector boundaries' & cuts should be made @ these points not just anywhere in the audio file. You can usually get away with it but in some cases you will get an audible click @ the join.

Cooleditpro2 can cut on sector boundaries but they call it 'Snap to Frame'

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: May 23, 2009 14:45

.....use Audacity to correct the speed.....used the pitch intonation.....alternative solution, i.e.: to change the speed.....

if you wanna correct the speed, you use the alternative change speed option, i guess!

speeding up too much, mj will sound like micky mouse.
when you lower the speed very much, he will sound like my granddad: slow with a deep down voice.
meaning to say: when you have the correct speed, you've got the correct key, in the right time: the way the music was meant to be.

if you want to change the key, for whatever reason, you use the pitch: changing the pitch will not affect the speed of the piece, as you experienced.

Date: May 23, 2009 18:51

Let's say that most of the recordings I worked on were a semitone higher.
Therefore I just corrected the pitch a semitone lower leaving the tempo same as the original.
But I understand that I had to change the speed, meaning adjusting the tempo.
Not a big problem but, anyway, I made a mistake.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 24, 2009 04:59

I do Linedancing, straycat, where we never make mistakes, we do "variations"

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: May 24, 2009 15:15

I use a cd player designed for dance instructors which gives a wide +/- pitch/speed correction. I might be being stupid but I don't see how you can speed up/slow down recording without affecting the pitch?

It's a big assumption but I copy whatever the source is onto a CD, play it on the above CD player and compare individual versions of a tune with a version I believe to be correct pitch wise - usually something with some clear sounding chords: Gimme Shelter, Ruby Tuesday, Love in Vain, HT Women are all good examples. If you like I "tune" by ear and generally it seems to work very well. Once I'm happy I then make a master copy from the speed corrected source on to a high end hi-fi audio CD recorder.

With vinyl sources I have a deck with speed adjustment and use a similar process.

I've had some quite pleasing results doing this - for example whilst the VGP 1971 London Roundhouse disc is the correct speed, whatever process they used to attempt to nonoise/de-click kills the sound. A speed-corrected vinyl original sounds much much better! As for CD's, a typical example is Pignose's St Paul 78 which runs WAY to fast and hugely improves when speed/pitch corrected.

I should say that in my opinion, whatever the imperfections of some of their old tape/vinyl transfers, VGP/DAC generally get the speed/pitch spot on, and a lot of times do a really good overall job - Essen 70 or Charlotte and Washington 72 for example.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home