Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How to get files off CD-RW with damaged table of contents?
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 12:06

Uh, I recently accidentally quick-erased a CD-RW using Nero. I managed to get "vision" of all the contents again, but none of the files open. I did it by starting a burn of anything onto the disc, then aborting when it was still doing the lead-in. Whan I try to copy anything to hard drive, I get a message " Cannot copy [filename]: The parameter is incorrect.”. None of the mp3s play or any of the image files show their pictures.

Best advice so far might be that the disc's table of contents is damaged. What I need to do is get back the erased material. Does anybody know any proven techniques or software to do this?

Re: How to get files off CD-RW with damaged table of contents?
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:04

Don't know if it will work on a CDRW, but how about a HD recovery proggy, I know there's freware ones around as I accidentaly erased some files on my HD & was able to recover most of them.

Punch in 'freeware HD recovery' into google & see what you get. Might be worth even getting a trial version of a commercial proggy to see if it will pick stuff up, they always have limitations on what you can do tho. If a trial version does work I've got EasyRecoveryPro which should do the trick.

Your prob will be whether they recognise a CDRW as a HD, let us know how you get along. I know the anguish of 'Oh !@#$% what have I done?'

Just punched in 'recovery erased cdrw file' into google & bunch of stuff came up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 13:34 by vox12string.

Date: September 17, 2008 01:37

OK, thanks for the tips, but no luck with any of them so far. The method I followed to get "vision" of all the files again is set out at [www.scribd.com]
Perhaps this might give some clear information on where I'm up to so far, which is that all the file structure is there, with proper file sizes (none of that frustrating 0kb stuff), but nothing opens up or plays.

Date: September 22, 2008 14:00

Hmmm, more local discussion I've had indicates that it's definitely a damaged table of contents. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 22, 2008 20:54

Now, here comes a question from a real amateur:

have you tried to put the cd-rw into a cd-recorder, these play also unfinalized cd-r's?!

Date: September 23, 2008 00:00

A CD-recorder? What kind of separate unit do you mean? I have the usual DVD/CD-ROM in my computer system, and that's all. I did find some comment about different DVD/CD-ROMs maybe being able to read the stuff after all, so I might tour around some local retailers and see how it goes on any of their demo machines.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 23, 2008 16:04

>>A CD-recorder? What kind of separate unit do you mean?

Like this:

[www.tascam.com]

or:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 23, 2008 23:12

Rank Stranger
Now, here comes a question from a real amateur:

have you tried to put the cd-rw into a cd-recorder, these play also unfinalized cd-r's?!
A not finalized disc is something completely different than a damaged TOC!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home