Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Frost on Saturday" 1968 - available sources
Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: September 9, 2007 17:36

Sorry for opening another subject regarding this, but...

I tried to collect information regarding Stones' appearance on "Frost on Saturday" show and it turned out that bits of it were shown on at least 4 different occasions.

1. "Let it bleed" - 30 seconds

2. "Boys and girls - sex and British pop" - 1:26 minutes

3. "Best of talk - David Frost" - According to announcement, the Stones' bit included the performance of "Jumpin' Jack Flash", but the person, who saw it confirmed that it was actually SFTD and possibly it was the late part of the song, which was unavailable

4. The doc about ITV, which was shown in august/september 2005. The reviewer wrote that the Stones' bit included David Frost's inroduction to their 1968 performance, which was missing on all previous sources. The bit of the performance was also shown. As there was no mention about the actual doc title, my guess that it is called "Story of ITV: People's channel"

5. SFTD remix promo clip - Keith's solo was unique

6. A questinable source - according to one post, the COMPLETE performance was shown on "Granada Talk" channel in 1997. The describtion suggested that the backing audio track was played at wrong speed, so that's why it was never shown again.

I couldn't find anyone who has 3,4 (and 6 smiling smiley ) because trading docs is not so common as trading music. Please write if you did see these documentaries and can give a better describtion of the bits shown in them.

Compiling all these sources I could upgrade my previosly posted clip to a longer version.

Re: "Frost on Saturday" 1968 - available sources
Posted by: mikey ()
Date: September 10, 2007 10:41

The frustrating thing about all this is that the whole performance is available but only within a very small circle of collectors. It was available from one collector of 50's and 60's rock TV memorabilia as a video, but that source has now gone to ground.

The performance should be available to TV researchers from the David Frost Show website although only the U.S. July 1969 and August 1969 shows which presumably include the Stones performances of Honkey Tonk Women and You Can't Always Get What you Want are listed. But in any case you need to convince them of your credentials and shell out appropiate dosh to access these films.

It really does my head in that there continues to be this ongoing embargo on release of TV and cinematic material from the band's early years. Yes I'm glad that they're still out there performing and it's nice for people to be able to revisit these shows on DVD. But I suspect I am not alone in being a tad dissapointed that Martin Scorsese's upcoming film of the band is yet another take on the Bigger Bang tour as opposed to the kind of treatment that Dylan was accorded in the outstanding film "No Direction Home".

Before anybody seeks to take offence for my offering these opinions, I'm not knocking the Stones for seeking to promote the band in it's current incarnation, what they're doing continues to be awesome but I'm merely trying to point out that endorsing and supporting releases of material from the years when the band was at their creative peak in no way undermines what they're doing now.

There's room for both.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-10 10:43 by mikey.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 10, 2007 13:59

lenchik Wrote:

> 5. SFTD remix promo clip - Keith's solo was
> unique

The only thing that's unique in the two remix versions is that they're edited or have the backing changed behind the solo. Or do you mean just the footage showing Keith from that Frost show?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 13, 2007 06:26

He means the the footage showing Keith. The solo on the Frost 68 appearance is mimed to a backing track which is different than the backing track to the released version of the song.

J

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 13, 2007 19:46

Can you post the audio of the solo? :-()

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: September 13, 2007 20:38

Might as well bung in the video as well.

... only teasing J.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 14, 2007 20:30

Oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-14 20:31 by Baboon Bro.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home