Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Looking for a "check if it's lossy"-programme
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2007 19:28

Hi, I'm looking for one of them programmes that tells you if it is a lossy recording or not.
Hopefully a programme that is easy to use, and easy to download (for free).
So long

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-23 19:28 by Erik_Snow.

Re: Looking for a "check if it's lossy"-programme
Posted by: pancho1111 ()
Date: February 24, 2007 00:10

I guess it's only for audio cd's, tau analyzer, freeware at:

[www.true-audio.com]

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 24, 2007 06:02

What you need is a stand-alone audio frequency analyser (back to high school physics!). This will give you a picture of the waveform & you can see if there is a dramatic drop @ the 16kHz mark, which is indicative of mp3s, or @ the 19kHz mark, which shows up wmas. A nice smoothish waveform from 20-20kHz+ is most likely a lossless wav. (These are rough guides only & there are exceptions)

I've just done a google for 'freeware audio analyser' & there seems to be lots of stuff but I haven't explored it too deeply so don't have a link unfortunately.

A fair number of us here use audio editing progys such as cooleditpro or soundforge & these have frequency & spectrum analysers built in. Audacity is a freeware open-source audio editor but I don't know if it's got analysers, do a google for the latest version.

For info about detecting mp3s check out this link, it's old but still valid
[www.audiohub.org]

A link to freeware stuff here, tho I don't see an analyser
[www.techsupportalert.com]

And a link to tons of audio/video stuff here
[www.videohelp.com]

What's the cd that got banned? Dime seems to be very particular about lossless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-24 06:21 by vox12string.

Date: February 24, 2007 06:51

THanks Vox12string and pancho1111, I'll check out your links.
>>What's the cd that got banned? Dime seems to be very particular about lossless<<
I've only done 2 torrents, but the last one was banned. The thing is that I've copied the original pressed CD, and this is considered a "classic" bootleg-title, so I had no idea it could be from a lossy source. I don't think it was MP3, but a minidisc-recorder or something...you couldn't tell by listening to it. So I have to check even the pressed CDs before doing a torrent again.
Greetings

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 24, 2007 07:30

Oh dear, minidiscs, I have absolutely no idea how to check these. This means that shows that are recorded this way (& there must be tons of them) are now banned @ Dime, stick to RO.

I have 2 minidiscs that I use as a musician & have put cds onto them & can't tell the difference at all.

Just checked with Audacity & there does appear to be a frequency analyser in it, can't tell you what it's like tho

[audacity.sourceforge.net]

Date: February 24, 2007 21:22

Vox12string, thanks for your help,
I've posted the same question at ROcksOff, and I try out the advices I get from both sites.
Yes, it's very wierd, I can hear if it's an MP3 recording, usually, but this bootleg that got banned sound amazing to my ears, and it's the only/best recording from that concert. It's a shame, but I can't let it happen again.

Posted by: kream ()
Date: February 24, 2007 21:34

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vox12string, thanks for your help,
> I've posted the same question at ROcksOff, and I
> try out the advices I get from both sites.
> Yes, it's very wierd, I can hear if it's an MP3
> recording, usually, but this bootleg that got
> banned sound amazing to my ears, and it's the
> only/best recording from that concert. It's a
> shame, but I can't let it happen again.

don't worry eric. my 4 torrents were banned from DIME but only after 2 days. it's funny how these experts can differents mp3 and others files grinning smiley
almost 600 people downloaded these torrent and only 1 saw (not heard) different. it was your bad luck grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-24 21:35 by kream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home