Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I Tunes Question
Posted by: Lucab12 ()
Date: May 3, 2006 17:23

If I change my import bitrate from 128 to 320, I assume this will occupy more space? If I have a 60 GB ipod (I could use about 3 more) I assume that I would be able to put less songs on it?

Re: I Tunes Question
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 3, 2006 17:26

that is my understanding as well

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: May 3, 2006 18:06

Some clarification is needed here:

(1) If your importing songs from an original CD into the ipod via your computer, then the import setting will apply the amount of compression based on the bitrate you choose. The higher the bitrate, the more information is retained (eg: better sound quality) but a larger file size results.

(2) If your importing songs from the internet via your computer, the resulting file size will depend on what the bitrate is of the imported song. (If the imported song was encoded at 128 KB/s, then it will have a fairly small file size; however, if the same song was encoded at 320 KB/s, the file size will be 2.5 times as big.

(3) Apple endorses their own encoding format known as AAC. It is a better encoding scheme for the same equivalent bitrate. You can set the default import decoding to AAC and convert the MP3 song. One thing to keep in mind is if you have the bitrate set for say 320 KB/s, then when you convert the 128 KB/s MP3 to ACC encoding, then the bitrate of the new music track becomes 320 KB/s. This does not improve the sound quality of the 128 KB/s MP3 music track.

Therefore; the best approach for your own personal enjoyment in terms of playback on your ipod is to convert all imported MP3 tracks to ACC encoded tracks at the SAME bitrate.

SFTD

Date: May 3, 2006 18:25

SFTD,
So would you say that I should convert everything in I-Tunes to AAC? Would that help me to retain 320 bit rate and save space? Also, if I want to burn a disc or post songs, would I need to re-convert to MP3?

Thanks...Without you and Mother, I'd be clueless!

Date: May 3, 2006 18:59

Cafaro:

All the songs on my ipod (that came from CD's) are AAC files. I set the import encoder to AAC

The tracks you have on your ipod that are encoded as MP3. They can be converted to AAC by changing the import encode setting and then converting the tracks. For you it's going to very time consuming given the number of tracks you have stored on your ipod. If your listening to your ipod with just earbugs then don't bother. If your listening to hte ipod using really good headphones and/or tapping into your stereo system, then I would convert the tracks to ACC format.

A music track encoded with MP3 or AAC uses the exact same space. The AAC encoding is simply a better sounding track.

When you burn an MP3 or AAC track to CD, both get converted to WAV format. The result is perhaps marginally better if the source was AAC. In my opinion, the better the source, the better the target.

In terms of posting, AAC is an exclusive APPLE technology. No other MP3 players can decode AAC. You can convert back to MP3, if your planning to share the music with IORR readers. I've noticed that a couple of postings have used AAC but that is only going to be good for those that have an APPLE ipod.

That's where I differ because anything I've posted at IORR comes from an original CD, imported into my ipod as MP3 and uploaded as an MP3. The AAC songs on my ipod are not posted.

Whew !!!!!!

SFTD

Date: May 3, 2006 19:01

Cafaro:

Tokyo Dome 1995 is posted. Hope you enjoy it.

SFTD

Date: May 3, 2006 19:02

Got it! I've never used the AAC.. Thanks for the information

Date: May 3, 2006 20:00

When you import a song into I Tunes, and it is the mpeg4 format, does it then need to be converted into aac? I see that is an option on I Tunes.

Date: May 3, 2006 20:12

What's mpeg4 ???? Video ????

If it is video, I don't have the new ipod that supports video so I can't help you.

AAC is Apple's decoder for compressed sound files. I trust you have read the above message to Cafaro concerning AAC music files versus MP3 music files.

SFTD

Date: May 3, 2006 20:14

m4a. or mpeg4 is what the files say they are when you look under properties. yet my preferences are set to AAC encoder on importing. So why do I need to convert to AAC after they are in I Tunes? Is this only for songs I "added" using the add files/folders function?

Date: May 3, 2006 20:55

You don't need to convert to AAC if you don't want to.

Apple offers their AAC encoding format as an alternative to the standard MP3 format.

The tracks that you import now will automatically be converted to MP3 and will only be converted to AAC if you right click on the track(s) and choose " Convert To AAC "

If you have your import preference set for MP3 encoder, then you will not have the option to later convert to AAC if you wish.

The above scenario also applies to importing directly from CD.

SFTD

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: May 4, 2006 12:07

SFTD - what's the benefit of converting MP3s to AAC? The result can't be any better than the "original" MP3.

IMHO the AAC-format is kind of "State-of-the-art" when using an iPod AND when doing an import from CD - then the result is better sounding than the MP3. BUT when you import a track from a CD as an AAC-file IT IS in fact bigger compared with the same track imported in MP3-format (how much bigger depends on the bitrate one's gonna use for the MP3 conversion).

Lucab12 - I would tend to say: if you're downloading MP3-stuff from (for example) yousendit just leave it as it is - it doesn't make any sense to convert it to AAC.

As soon as you're gonna rip/import one of your CDs it depends on what you would like to have.
a) perfect quality, less free disk-space -> AAC
b) more available space on the HD -> MP3 (128 kbit) - as SFTD pointed out it doesn't matter that much as long as you're not connecting to your HiFi-system.

And btw - tracks you buy on iTunes are always converted in AAC-format - no matter how your import preferences are set. The import preferences are only important for the import of a CD. But again - if you would like to save disk-space you can easily convert the songs from iTunes into MP3-format - the result-file will then be smaller than the AAC-file you bought on iTunes.

silk

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 4, 2006 12:22

Stop using Itunes, use a freeware alternative.
I use gnupod. It's way better and way easier. But there are other alternatives
as well.
I encode everything at 192 , for me it's enough.
Go out and buy CDs, rip 'em, and put them on your Pod.
In that way you have the perfect backup, and if the audio quality is a drag, just encode at a higher bitrate with your back up at hand.

Date: May 4, 2006 12:34

silkcut1978:

Definitely, the real benefit of AAC is more for transferring CD tracks to compressed ipod tracks especially if your planning on connecting the ipod via apple dock unit to your stereo system.

I don't have any concrete info on the benefits of converting an MP3 track to an AAC formatted track; however, there MAY be some minor improvement in the frequency response curve. I sensed a slight improvement in brightness. Maybe my ears are playing tricks. In regard to file size, I didn't notice any significant difference in either providing your dealing with the SAME bitrate.

If the AAC imported version from CD is indeed a bit larger than the equivalent MP3 imported version, it's not something that I was particularly paying much attention to because I wasn't saving that many songs on the ipod to worry about exhausting the ipod's storage capability.

SFTD

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: May 4, 2006 12:55

SFTD - you're a lucky one indeed ;-)

I'm using 3 iPods by now (including one 5G-video-iPod) but there's never enough space for all the music/vids I would like to put on them...

btw - I'm using the Numark mixing-desk at home (connected to the PC and to my HiFi) and it works perfect but as soon as I plug in a stand-alone CD/DVD-player the sound becomes disturbed (like if it is compressed way too high) - any experience on your side?

silk

Date: May 4, 2006 13:34

Well silk, I guess we all have a different use for our ipod.

I only use it to store favourite billboard 50's to 90's songs and artist compilations ripped from my own CD collection. About 1/3 of the 20GB capacity is filled and those songs remain on my computer's harddrive.

I use itunes software to burn CDR compilations that I can play on my CD changer via the stereo system. The burned CDR's and ipod tracks (played through a really good set of headphones and/or the Bose Sounddock) sound great, no problems with quality. The ipod tracks are encoded with AAC @ 256 KB/s.

SFTD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home