Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O T David byrne
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:48

Maybe so, but "Genius of Love" --[I originally had "Message" in my first entry--sorry] is an evergreen as far as hip hop sampling goes. From Wikipedia:

This song is one of the most sampled rhythm tracks of all time, particularly within the rap/R&B/hip-hop genre, with dozens of unsolicited remixes and versions, most notably Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde's "Genius Rap" in 1981; GrandMaster Flash & The Furious Five's "It's Nasty" in 1982; and Mariah Carey's "Fantasy" in 1995.
Some other artists who incorporated "Genius of Love" into their own musical creations are as follows: Redman's song "Brick City Mashin!," Cam'Ron's "Me, My Moms & Jimmy," 2nd II None's "Niggaz Trippin'," Fresh Kid Ice's "Roll Call," Tupac Shakur's "High Speed," Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack," Busta Rhymes' "One," Ant Banks' "Roll 'Em Phat," P.M. Dawns' "Gotta Be... Movin' On Up," Annie's "Chewing Gum," Menajahtwa's "I Ain't Nasti," and "Genius E Dub" by Eric Sermon.

So indirectly I'd say it's a much more popular song that's reached more ears than anything Byrne ever came up with.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 18:04

Strangely enough D.Byrne mentioned that he and Brian Eno had done voice overs and now they called it sampling, on stage sunday night.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: April 18, 2009 12:10

Last night David Byrne was playing with his band (11 people incl. choreography) in Zürich... he really "burnt down the (Volks)house". The Swiss audience who is usually a bit reserved went completely out of mind and literally dancing on the chairs... what a night :-) and what an excellent band. Highlights were for me the old Talking Heads stuff and a great version of Help Me Somebody (from the My Life in The Bush Of Ghost album)...

sjouke

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home