Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: All The Way Down
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:38

Nope. It stinks. Just listened to it. Has that 'Sad, Sad, Sad' throwaway vibe to it. Done in five minutes to pad out an absolutely awful album.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 26, 2010 03:00

i like it
has it ever been played live?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 26, 2010 04:25

mandu
i like it
has it ever been played live?

never. and, prolly, it's better left that way....like other good tunes gone awry before it....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 26, 2010 04:27

Another handy drinks coaster. "Undercover"? Good, stay that way. Shite song on a shite album. The beginning of the Big Decline.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 26, 2010 04:56

I've always liked the song a lot. One of my favorites on the album. Mick rushes through the lyric for some reason. Much of the album feels speeded up and it is the first appearance of the dreaded click track.

Date: August 26, 2010 05:13

Rocky Dijon
I've always liked the song a lot. One of my favorites on the album. Mick rushes through the lyric for some reason. Much of the album feels speeded up and it is the first appearance of the dreaded click track.

Mick rushes through the lyrics, the album feels speeded up, click tracks are used and you like it? Sorry, Rocky. Just confused.confused smiley

Date: August 26, 2010 05:30

71Tele
Rocky Dijon

Mick rushes through the lyrics, the album feels speeded up, click tracks are used and you like it? Sorry, Rocky. Just confused.confused smiley

now, now, tele - he didn't say that - don't badger the witness....

Date: August 26, 2010 05:37

StonesTod
71Tele
Rocky Dijon

It's exactly what he said...I was just trying to get the witness to elaborate on his comments for the jury, Your Honor.

Date: August 26, 2010 05:39

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
Rocky Dijon

It's exactly what he said...I was just trying to get the witness to elaborate on his comments for the jury, Your Honor.

strike the question from the record! he said he rushed lyrics thru the SONG...the rest was in reference to the album in general. one more outburst and i'll have you tossed from my court....see you for drinks, later, though.

Date: August 26, 2010 05:54

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
Rocky Dijon

strike the question from the record! he said he rushed lyrics thru the SONG...the rest was in reference to the album in general. one more outburst and i'll have you tossed from my court....see you for drinks, later, though.

Opposing counsel is badgering, but I withdraw the question. Rocky Dijon, you may stand down. Next witness, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 05:56 by 71Tele.

Date: August 26, 2010 05:58

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
Rocky Dijon

you mean he may stand ALL THE WAY DOWN!

Opposing counsel is badgering, but I withdraw the question. Rocky Dijon, you may stand down. Next witness, please.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 26, 2010 07:07

I've always liked it. Great bridge. Nice drums, nice guitar licks, hilarious lyrics and great vocal delivery.

Date: August 26, 2010 07:08

Oh and the backing vocals are top notch on this tune.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 15:40

"why so serious!"

Yeah it is just good old fashioned fun rock n' roll! Good stuff, with some great guitar, and Mick sings wonderfully on it! LOVE IT.

Date: August 27, 2010 01:51

Just curious - some people think Mick's lyrics for Rough Justice and mostly or more so Oh No Not You Again are atrocious and whatever coming from a 60 something year old yet some comments about All The Way Down are similar.

So is there...what's the term I'm looking for...dunno. Double standard? Some kind of bar that was crossed? Is it more of a wink and a giggle with All The Way Down than ONNYA? Just as bad? I like All The Way Down much more than either from A Bigger Bang but I've never thought of the lyrics to be so - I won't say the usual but it is/they are just some obviously entertaining rock'n'roll songs.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:07

skipstone
Just curious - some people think Mick's lyrics for Rough Justice and mostly or more so Oh No Not You Again are atrocious and whatever coming from a 60 something year old yet some comments about All The Way Down are similar.

So is there...what's the term I'm looking for...dunno. Double standard? Some kind of bar that was crossed? Is it more of a wink and a giggle with All The Way Down than ONNYA? Just as bad? I like All The Way Down much more than either from A Bigger Bang but I've never thought of the lyrics to be so - I won't say the usual but it is/they are just some obviously entertaining rock'n'roll songs.

I don't really like "All the Way Down" much, but one thing in its favor is that it doesn't have the bad/sad/mad rhymes of the songs you mention. Sure, the title phrase is a lame Aerosmith-y crack, but in the verses mick at least tries to say something, though in an oddly clipped manner.

there is a body of fans who like this song and the next 2 on Undercover, which are all straightforward, and don't like the rest of the album. I'm not one of those.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2010 15:53

Good guitar work - Its okay not great

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 28, 2010 00:25

'Rough Justice' belongs as one of the better B-Plus singles in the Stones chronology. Depending on how much longer they can tour, it has the ability to grow in stature as 'You Got Me Rocking' from Voodoo Lounge did. They've even opened concerts with YGMR. 'All The Way Down' has that hurried up, let's get this over with thing to it. I hate songs where they go immediately to the Chorus and pile drive it into the ground. I just listened to it again and we get at least 16 'She ran all the way, all the way, all the way, all the way downs'. The more I listen to it, the less there is to like. There's one part where mick's singing where I swear he's just going to give up and start mouthing nonsense syllables.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 28, 2010 01:32

24FPS
The more I listen to it, the less there is to like.

the answer, my friend, is a-blowin' somewhere in this statement...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 07:48

One line turned out to be horribly prescient.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 22, 2014 13:04

I love the outtake better than released version

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 22, 2014 13:55

great song undercover is a good album love to hear it live

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 22, 2014 21:23

Undercover has always been one of my favorite of the Stones LP's. I think it is their smartest record of all, lost on many fans, but just a great, rocking, evolved and slightly heady LP from a veteran rock and roll band. Their last serious creative effort, too, in my opinion. And this song, ATWD, is terrific. I want this album reissued with outtakes some day.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 22:02

Tate
Undercover has always been one of my favorite of the Stones LP's. I think it is their smartest record of all, lost on many fans, but just a great, rocking, evolved and slightly heady LP from a veteran rock and roll band. Their last serious creative effort, too, in my opinion. And this song, ATWD, is terrific. I want this album reissued with outtakes some day.

I am in strong agreemnet with your assessment! The outtake is slower, more reflective in nature, it's interesting to hear how it changed. Let's give 'em a listen then!

UC version

Outtake

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:32

Love it! It sounds very live if you know what I mean. Just the band playing together and record it. It doesn't have that produced sound.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:35

A terrific rocker from an era when the Stones still felt dangerous, and still created cohesive albums, as opposed to collections of songs. All The Way Down, with its rollicking beat and naughty, violence-tinged lyrics, fits like a glove on Undercover. The whole song, and indeed the whole album, feels so organic and effortless, and as a snotty little fool, I used to listen to it over and over, trying decipher what Mick was actually singing.

Speaking of the lyrics, the reference to "suicides", of course, now seems eerily prescient. Perhaps the lyrics in that whole passage were crossing the line, but pushing the bounds of respectability was what made the Stones a dangerous band back then.

How the years rush on by, birthdays, kids and suicides
But still I play the fool and strut, still you're a slut

Drew

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 23, 2014 14:14

One of the good tracks on U. Remember liking the lyrics because it actually had substance. Never a hit-song though, but it had other qualities.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 23, 2014 14:27

GOOD SONG, GREAT LYRICS.
ONE OF THE LAST MICK PUT ANY EFFORT INTO.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:32

Love this tune. "I was king, Mr. Cool just a snotty little fool"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 24, 2014 01:10

Their last creative album as a band. Great LP.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home