Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What is your RS bootleg "Holy Grail"?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2008 14:21

Mine would have to be a DVD of their 1967 'Sunday Night At The London Palladium' appearance, though this dream came a step closer recently when I found some Italian TV footage of the band backstage at this show, with Brian banging out the chords to 'Ruby Tuesday' on a piano, followed by a very laid-back Keith strumming an acoustic guitar. So I still live in hope!

Re: What is your RS bootleg "Holy Grail"?
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 14:24

Mine at the moment is Hampton 81.

Talking about the london palladium was it true, that they refused to come out at the end and do the usual bow for the royal family. Or was it just a run of the mill show?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2008 14:27

Ooh, care to share that footage? grinning smiley

My holy grail would be a double box set like The Satanic Sessions, but for Beggars Banquet.

Date: August 1, 2008 14:32

odean73

Talking about the london palladium was it true, that they refused to come out at the end and do the usual bow for the royal family. Or was it just a run of the mill show?

What's stopping you getting Hampton '81? I'm sure many people here have this (I have a great stereo 2 DVD set, a fantastic concert!).

The Royal Family weren't even there.

No, they just refused to go on some sort of revolving stage at the end of the show, & the media made a big thing out of it (no fuss was made when The Beatles didn't go on it a few years earlier so that they could quickly leave without being swamped by fans...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 14:33 by Sleepy City.

Date: August 1, 2008 14:33

Sleepy City
odean73

The Royal Family weren't even there.

No, they just refused to go on some sort of revolving stage at the end of the show, & the media made a big thing out of it (no fuss was made when The Beatles didn't go on it a few years earlier so that they could quickly leave without being swamped by fans...).

thanks for that, at least i can put that to bed.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 1, 2008 15:07

The Holy Grail must correspondingly be some boot that will most likely never appear. Right now I'd pick a complete show of the 1970 European tour in pristine soundboard quality.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: August 1, 2008 15:15

Greenblues
The Holy Grail must correspondingly be some boot that will most likely never appear. Right now I'd pick a complete show of the 1970 European tour in pristine soundboard quality.

That's pretty high on my list, too. A soundboard 1970 "Roll Over Beethoven"!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2008 15:29

odean73

Run of the mill show - it was a weekly Sunday night variety programme, somewhat similar to what the Ed Sullivan show would have been (they actually performed on THAT show a week earlier, when they DID compromise to a family audience by singing Lets Spend Some Time Together). The tradition was that all the acts stand on a revolving stage at the end of the show and wave goodnight to the audience.

The Queen (or some other senior royal) attends the Royal Variety Performance, held at the same venue, around November of each year - which is a different event entirely.

Date: August 1, 2008 15:36

Gazza
odean73

Run of the mill show - it was a weekly Sunday night variety programme, somewhat similar to what the Ed Sullivan show would have been (they actually performed on THAT show a week earlier, when they DID compromise to a family audience by singing Lets Spend Some Time Together). The tradition was that all the acts stand on a revolving stage at the end of the show and wave goodnight to the audience.

The Queen (or some other senior royal) attends the Royal Variety Performance, held at the same venue, around November of each year - which is a different event entirely.

Thanks its all coming back to me now. Got the two formats mixed up.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 15:48

Gazza
odean73

Where the people in the cheap seats clapped and the rest just rattled their jewellery! grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 1, 2008 15:51

Mine would be the Ian Stewart tribute show at the 100 Club in Feb 86. I was just 2 miles up the road in Camden but only heard about it at 9pm - by then far to late to try and get in.
Never heard of it surfacing although the Stones apparently recorded it, according to myth and rumour. All those great r'n'b/blues songs too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2008 16:08

Linda Lovelace with the dog is suppose ta be pretty gooooood....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2008 16:23

Rockman
Linda Lovelace with the dog is suppose ta be pretty gooooood....

Do you want a copy.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 16:24

A DVD of Wembley, 9th September, 1973.

Date: August 1, 2008 16:26

Birmingham odeon 73 2nd show.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: August 1, 2008 16:26

A 20 cd box set of stones live at the marquee "ultimate collection".
wiht 15 at the marquee and 5 at various london and other cities including richmond festival 1963. all of them in normal audience quality.
all of them sold to vgp by a very old stones fan.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 1, 2008 16:29

complete 1963 show
excellent 1970 SBD
unreleased outtakes

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 1, 2008 17:12

NME 1968!!!!!!!! Only 2 songs but damn!!! Would so love that.
2nd would be the complete El Macombo soundboards
3rd a professional complete video of Knebworth
4th 100 Club 86
5th the Yas Yas and Altamont complete professional recordings and videos

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 17:20

mexicostone
A 20 cd box set of stones live at the marquee "ultimate collection".
wiht 15 at the marquee and 5 at various london and other cities including richmond festival 1963. all of them in normal audience quality.
all of them sold to vgp by a very old stones fan.

Now that's just being greedy!!

Date: August 1, 2008 17:46

DrPete
NME 1968!!!!!!!! Only 2 songs but damn!!! Would so love that.
2nd would be the complete El Macombo soundboards
3rd a professional complete video of Knebworth
4th 100 Club 86
5th the Yas Yas and Altamont complete professional recordings and videos

Although I wouldn't refuse a complete DVD of it, I've always thought (judging by the incomplete videos & the audio) that Knebworth was one of their sloppiest ever shows. I certainly agree with your other choices though!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 19:33

It would be a tie between opening night Fenway and Hartford 5 days later, but I don't possess either of them! lol

Date: August 1, 2008 19:37

Silver Dagger
Mine would be the Ian Stewart tribute show at the 100 Club in Feb 86. I was just 2 miles up the road in Camden but only heard about it at 9pm - by then far to late to try and get in.
Never heard of it surfacing although the Stones apparently recorded it, according to myth and rumour. All those great r'n'b/blues songs too.

Dont think any members of the public got into that one, did they? Was always under the impression it was for family & friends.

Apparently, its the one Stones show from the last 35 years or so that WASN'T recorded, under specific instructions by the band themselves.

Aside from something from 1962-63, that would certainly be the holy grail one for me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 1, 2008 19:46

I always go back to Happy Birthday Nicky.

Still, David Hart (the other Powergoat) gave me a cassette of those 1985 sessions, Strictly Memphis, Deep Love, etc, that was a 3rd generation dub from the master. I don't know the hows and whys of it, but he's been around (he's a 60-year old Olympian jet-setter).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 1, 2008 19:51

I had never really thought about it, but was Ian Stewarts death another factor in the decision not to tour Dirty Work (along with all the other reasons - group conflict/addiction/shitty album!)

Gazza,

was good to meet you at the Tom Waits Edinburgh gig. Utterly sublime performance from the great man - better than St Louis.

Date: August 1, 2008 20:01

Glad you enjoyed it. I did too. Was great to meet you and your missus and run into John Nicholls again. Both Edinburgh shows are up now on dimeadozen I see.

I think the inter-band conflicts and band health issues were the main reasons why they didnt tour behind DW. As Mick later said "the band werent fit enough to cross the Champs Elysees, let alone go on the road"...

Date: August 1, 2008 20:05

I wish there were boots availble for the 6 shows I've seen.
Alas I've found none.

Those would be my holy grails.

Toronto Dec 4, 89
Toronto Aug 19 (i think) 94
Montreal Dec 6 (i think) 94
Montreal April 98
Montreal 2003
Ottawa 2005

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 20:07

I already have most of the existing grails, so a complete SB from 1975 would suffice.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2008 20:12

gimme_shelter
complete 1963 show

+1 >grinning smiley<

Date: August 1, 2008 20:26

I think if a tape existed of the Stones '86 Ian Stewart tribute show?
THAT would be up there!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 21:12

highanddry
Greenblues

That's pretty high on my list, too. A soundboard 1970 "Roll Over Beethoven"![/[/b]quote]

Exactly

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home