Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: LET IT BE
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 1, 2008 02:09

Very lame news -- do Ringo & Paul really think they can whitewash the band's disintegration?

Paul and Ringo stop Beatles film 'Let It Be'

Jul 30, 2008, 10:10 GMT

Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have stopped the release of Beatles film 'Let It Be'.

The 1970 documentary reveals tensions between the Fab Four - Paul, Ringo and the late John Lennon and George Harrison - shortly before their break-up, and insiders at the band's record company, Apple, claim the two surviving members do not want it re-released.

A source said: "There has been talk of 'Let It Be' finally being released but now there has been a change of heart. The Beatles are still a massive global brand and it's felt it won't be helped if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves."

The film was directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and shows the group recording the album of the same name, which eventually became their final studio release.

The group's internal relations were at an all-time low during the making of the LP and recording sessions were fraught with internal squabbles.

George Harrison took exception to Paul criticising his guitar playing, while John Lennon appeared disinterested during the entire process - preferring to spend his time with his wife Yoko Ono.

Although the LP was their final release, the group were so disappointed with 'Let It Be' they recorded masterpiece 'Abbey Road' afterwards and released it before the much-maligned record.

The source added to Britain's Daily Express newspaper: "People like to imagine The Beatles were a happy ship but the reality towards the end was very different as this film shows. There's all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it's unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo's lifetime."

Re: OT: LET IT BE
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 1, 2008 02:17

I dunno...I'd buy it for sure. Not just because of the fall of the Beatles but it's a different angle to see them. Is it bad? not really...I think it's a maturer look at the band. When I saw it, I didn't come away from it with a negative view of them at all.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:17

But, they definitely got their shit together once they moved from Twickenham to their own Apple basement. The footage shows they got on much better and also played much better there. It's still clear that they were on the road to breaking up though.

Perhaps it's a bit too painful and embarrassing for Paul and Ringo to watch now, there may be artistic reasons too as it is probably one of their weakest albums.

However, the film achieves the original concept which the record failed to do, we get The Beatles, warts and all.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:21

Whats their problem??
What happened, happened.
Everyone knows about it!
Plus the rooftop scene is one of those all-time great rock and roll moments!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:44

The Doctor hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 1, 2008 05:40

Maybe Paul can have the film edited so we can only see cheerful, enthusiastic, smiley Beatles and no grumpy, disinterested, frowny Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 05:42 by tatters.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: August 1, 2008 11:04

Same denial comes from the Elvis estate - you never see the fat Elvis anymore, none of his last concerts will be shown in public again. No fat Elv pics in Graceland for sure. It's like Jesus - a whole chunk of his life has gone missing.

Pity about Let it Be - would be great to have it reissued.
It was a bloody sight better than Magical Misery tour......

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 1, 2008 11:09

tatters
Maybe Paul can have the film edited so we can only see cheerful, enthusiastic, smiley Beatles and no grumpy, disinterested, frowny Beatles.

That would be a very short film, indeed smoking smiley

By the way, I think it is one a the great rock movies smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 11:12 by mofur.

Date: August 1, 2008 11:11

His Majesty
Perhaps it's a bit too painful and embarrassing for Paul and Ringo to watch now, there may be artistic reasons too as it is probably one of their weakest albums.

Well, Sir Paul did think enough of the album to put it out as "Let It Be - naked" smileys with beer

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 11:31

tatters

Fair point. Also McCartney's treatment of George as displayed in the film and his general dissent for him in the press round about that period makes a certain mockery of his 'little brother/I love him' comments when Harrison died.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 1, 2008 13:00

tatters

"Let It Be happy" I spot a certain amount of irony there...hehe...and it's completely justified.

If these news are true it's really bad news about Paul and Ringo, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 13:27 by Greenblues.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: August 1, 2008 13:20

Paul and Ringo are getting WAY too touchy - censorship, the thing they totally sang against back in the day when they weren't old farts.... pisses me off, I already have a VHS tape copy of LET IT BE, copied it off a pay per view channel years and years ago.... I just want a much better quality version, I've seen the so called fights a million times and they're much ado about nothing.... Bunch of hypocrites and big babies with too much money. If they were poor LET IT BE would have been out decades ago.... I know, why not sell it and give all the profits to Pete Best, the saddest Rock and Roll story on earth......

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 1, 2008 13:26

I completely agree...

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 1, 2008 13:37

I can't think of any reason to give money from a possible Let it Be-Release to Pete Best...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 1, 2008 13:42

what is the source of this story, please and thank you?

Date: August 1, 2008 14:45

Papo
I can't think of any reason to give money from a possible Let it Be-Release to Pete Best...

I wonder if some Beatles fans - on Beatles forums - are still asking for Ringo Starr to be replaced by Pete Best?

Much like this board, where some people from time to time still want back a guitarist, who left 34 years ago? winking smiley

Posted by: going_to_a_go_go ()
Date: August 1, 2008 14:51

Glam Descendant
Very lame news -- do Ringo & Paul really think they can whitewash the band's disintegration?

The 1970 documentary reveals tensions between the Fab Four - Paul, Ringo and the late John Lennon and George Harrison - shortly before their break-up, and insiders at the band's record company, Apple, claim the two surviving members do not want it re-released.

It doesn't really. I was watching that DVD only last weekend. When you do watch it, you realise that there wasn't a lot of tension there. In fact, watching it, as my buddy said, you realise that it wasn't problems with each other that caused them to split, it was the pressure that was on them. Congrats again to the media and armchair intellects on another fine job.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: August 1, 2008 14:54

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: August 1, 2008 15:04

mofur
Papo

I wonder if some Beatles fans - on Beatles forums - are still asking for Ringo Starr to be replaced by Pete Best?

Much like this board, where some people from time to time still want back a guitarist, who left 34 years ago? winking smiley

Man I'm still campaigning to get Dick Taylor back!tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 1, 2008 15:18

ROLLINGSTONE

Don't give up the fight!

Though, to look at it logically, they were not even called The Rolling Stones when he was with them? And in that same breath - I'm still waiting for the thread to replace Charlie Watts with Mick Avory? ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 15:19 by mofur.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:22

mofur
ROLLINGSTONE

Don't give up the fight!

Though, to look at it logically, they were not even called The Rolling Stones when he was with them? And in that same breath - I'm still waiting for the thread to replace Charlie Watts with Mick Avory? ;-)

Both gentlemen still musically active and more than competent - probably in much better shape than Mick Taylor...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 18:32 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:28

ROLLINGSTONE

if you had seen him perform with The Pretty Things, at the Eel Pie club, last week, you may, quite possibly, not have been saying that in jest.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 22:53

Well, it is a pitty, I haven't seen the complete footage, but I am sure there is a lot of great music there. I love the late Beatles. I can't believe that the arguments between the band members would be still a problem - the one between Paul and George is in the Anthology movie, and everyone has seen it. It is not a big deal.

Date: August 1, 2008 23:14

All the so called fighting in LET IT BE is nothin' but a "Storm in a Teacup" as they say in Swingin' England.... AND, I stand by my PETE BEST story, for sure Ringo is a better drummer (listen to Pete on LOVE ME DO on the Anthology disc - not too good) but to get kicked out of THE BEATLES about a year before they went WORLD WIDE GIGANTIC !?!?!? That's effed up big time... that's worse than winding up in bed with Angelina Jolie and Pamela Anderson (back in the day when they were hot, like 10 years ago or something) and not being able to get the "Equipment to work" - holy moly, that would be a bitch and beyond !!! Poor Pete, throw him some Quid MAN....

Date: August 1, 2008 23:18

turd
Same denial comes from the Elvis estate - you never see the fat Elvis anymore, none of his last concerts will be shown in public again. No fat Elv pics in Graceland for sure. It's like Jesus - a whole chunk of his life has gone missing.

Pity about Let it Be - would be great to have it reissued.
It was a bloody sight better than Magical Misery tour......

Nice that you connected the two--I thought of the same thing!

I dunno if Let It Be is discussed in the same manner amongst beatles fans but the same problem is within elvis fans regarding his last TV special "Elvis In Concert" which was taped 2 months before his death. It aired once or twice and has never seen the light of day except for a few small clips in documentaries.

Within the last 8 years or so...a tape of the broadcast along with 3 hours of the full concert had spread the Elvis bootleg world yet there are many fans who are still BEGGING for an official release. On the Elvis board I'm on, it's almost weekly that a thread is started on this subject...and there's arguement FOR it and argument AGAINST it. The passion for this has still not let up.

http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38465

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 23:22 by Justin.

Date: August 1, 2008 23:25

I saw Elvis the last time he played Southern California ( Late 76? 77? - Long Beach Arena or Forum, can't remember) A Montreal Elvis Nut friend dragged me to it. Man it was sad, who wants to see his last months on film. This is not the decline of a band (like LET IT BE), this is the slow death slide of a great performer.....some things don't need to be repeated IMHO....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 23:27 by HelterSkelter.

Date: August 1, 2008 23:43

HelterSkelter
All the so called fighting in LET IT BE is nothin' but a "Storm in a Teacup" as they say in Swingin' England.... AND, I stand by my PETE BEST story, for sure Ringo is a better drummer (listen to Pete on LOVE ME DO on the Anthology disc - not too good) but to get kicked out of THE BEATLES about a year before they went WORLD WIDE GIGANTIC !?!?!? That's effed up big time... that's worse than winding up in bed with Angelina Jolie and Pamela Anderson (back in the day when they were hot, like 10 years ago or something) and not being able to get the "Equipment to work" - holy moly, that would be a bitch and beyond !!! Poor Pete, throw him some Quid MAN....

Hey Pete made it big...as a Jobcentre manager.

Date: August 1, 2008 23:48

I don't know if he ever did but McCartney should have thrown Pete a couple million pounds - that's about one hour of interest on Macca's savings in the bank.....

Date: August 2, 2008 00:03

HelterSkelter
I saw Elvis the last time he played Southern California ( Late 76? 77? - Long Beach Arena or Forum, can't remember) A Montreal Elvis Nut friend dragged me to it. Man it was sad, who wants to see his last months on film. This is not the decline of a band (like LET IT BE), this is the slow death slide of a great performer.....some things don't need to be repeated IMHO....

Yes many Elvis fans feel the same way you do, Helter...but there is still a healthy group who argue that although Elvis did not look his best...there are still glimmers of a true performer hidden in that broadcast. His voice still prevailed and there are some strong but scarce moments there.

Still, to me, that's not enough to openly release such a DVD. EPE has done so much to takea way the focus of those dark years for Elvis and focus on the good. Releasing such a DVD would almost undo all their hard work.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 2, 2008 02:55

Dunno re all the other crap, but Let It Be is a good song...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home