Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
JUST OUT- OBAMA'S Favorite Music, "I Loved The Stones" His Fav STONES Song? It's Here..
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 29, 2008 14:32

Just recieved the latest ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE hours ago in the Post and it includes a LONG interview with Presidential Hopeful BARACK OBAMA by JANN WENNER (Owner/head of ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE). Now I'm not gonna talk about his political views cause this is not the place and we all know them anyway. What we don't really know is his musical tastes - what he grew up on, what he loved as a younger man, and what he has on his i-Pod now. I found this VERY interesting and I think it says A lot about a person and what their musical tastes are gives you more in site. I'll break it down by performer and then later just some general statements about bands, singers, styles and literature. PLEASE stay away from the POLITICAL bickering, things that aren't mentioned here. If you want to praise/criticize his musical tastes, go ahead, that's what this topic is about - it's NOT about his position on the War in Iraq or any other POLITICAL POSITION, OK?

THE ROLLING STONES -

"What did you listen to growing up?"

OBAMA: "...I grew up in the 70's so a lot of 70's rhythm and blues were staples for me.... STIVIE WONDER, EARTH WIND and FIRE, ELTON JOHN, ROLLING STONES"

"Is there anyone who you would say were musical heros to you at the time?"

OBAMA: "If It had to be one it would have to be STEVIE WONDER.... Stevie had that run with MUSIC OF MY MIND, TALKING BOOK, FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE, INNERVISIONS, and then SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE.... Those are as brilliant a set of five albums as we've ever seen. So that was a guy I loved, and I LOVED THE STONES."

"What's your favorite Stones Stuff?"

OBAMA: "GIMME SHELTER is a great song". (Helter has got to agree - always one of my favorites)

BOB DYLAN/BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN -

"You were endorsed by BOB DYLAN a few days ago. What's that mean to you?"

OBAMA: "I've got to say, having both Dylan and Bruce Springsteen say kind words about you is pretty remarkable. Those guys are icons."

"Do you have any favorite DYLAN songs?"

OBAMA: "I've got probably 30 DYLAN songs on my iPod. I think I have the entire BLOOD ON THE TRACKS album on there. Actually, one of my favorites during the political season is "MAGGIE'S FARM". It speaks to me as I listen to some of the political rhetoric." (Helter note: Wow, I consider that a pretty revealing statement if you know what MAGGIE'S FARM is really about - pretty strong IMHO)

"You used THE RISING (Sprigsteen) a lot on the campaign. Who chose that?"

OBAMA: "....RISING we felt just sort of captured the spirit that we hope is in this campaign."

Bruce issued a pretty eloquent endorsement of you. What do you think of him and his work?"

OBAMA: "Not only do I love Bruce's music but I just love him as a person. He is a guy who has never lost track of his roots, who knows who he is, who has never put on a front...... He's passionate and humble"

GRATEFUL DEAD/FAVORITE BOOKS -

"When you were at the RS Cover shoot, they were playing the GRATEFUL DEAD and you recognized the music right off"

OBAMA: "Those guys did a concert for me during the primary - they got back together again. And not only do I enjoy the music, I just like them as people."

"Three books that really inspired you."

OBAMA: "Toni Morrison's SONG OF SOLOMON, the tragedies of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE and probably HEMINGWAY'S "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Re: JUST OUT- OBAMA'S Favorite Music, "I Loved The Stones" His Fav STONES Song? It's Here..
Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 29, 2008 14:40

He's a Stones fan, so he gotta be good!

Re: JUST OUT- OBAMA'S Favorite Music, "I Loved The Stones" His Fav STONES Song? It's Here..
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 29, 2008 15:10

Ringo

So was John Kerry, but he lost.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 29, 2008 15:58

JumpingKentFlash
Ringo

Well, Kent..... that depends.... read up on those paperless voting machines that teens can hack into then give it some more thought. To get back OT, I don't know about KERRY (well, that 2004 CHOICE CONCERT - was it? - Pearl Jam, REM, Springsteen, Mellencamp, Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, etc was GREAT) but in the end it was just a great show.... I think OBAMA has some pretty good musical taste....

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 29, 2008 16:13

JumpingKentFlash
Ringo

John Kerry is a Stones fan? I knew he was a good guy!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 29, 2008 16:38

Entire Blood on the tracks......AND GIMME SHELTER..........I have to say impressive stuff.

sc uk

Date: June 29, 2008 23:36

Page 2 already? and my good buddy FRANKM had yet to see this.... can't let that happen - No, No, No......

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 30, 2008 00:00

Don't forget the Jeremiah Wright's Allstar Band, live on Sunday afternoons.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 30, 2008 02:28

I believe him if he says he likes The Stones but you have to be wary of these politicians (left or right) when they start talking about this rock group or this sports team. SOMETIMES they are just trying to look cool.

I never knew Hillary was a huge Yankee fan until she started running for the NY Senate. Then she was walking around with a freeking Yankee hat on.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 30, 2008 04:26

Frank, Hillary and Barack are very different people... I highly recommend the RS article. While their articles tend to be highly opinionated, this issue has a great interview with him, a great story on his strategists, and and excellent read about scientists in Greenland. Best issue I've seen in a long while.... And don't forget the huge pic of mostly naked women at Bonnaroo... Wahoo!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:00

I would have thought "Paint It Black"! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 30, 2008 09:24

Elmo Lewis
I would have thought "Paint It Black"! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cute Elmo, "You can take the boy out of the South but you can't take the South out of the boy"

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: June 30, 2008 13:45

I have this image/vision.....

The world is at a brink, billions of people are starving, etc..
and Obama is listening to the Stones' Gimme Shelter...

Mmm why not?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 30, 2008 13:50

smoking smileyYa can take the Hewlter frem the Skewlter,
but ya caint take the Skewlter frem the Hewlter.

Date: June 30, 2008 15:07

Yeah, just joking, no offense intended.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 30, 2008 16:05

Ringo
JumpingKentFlash
Ringo

John Kerry is a Stones fan? I knew he was a good guy!

I sat across the aisle from him at the Stones show at Cooke Stadium near DC in 1997. He's tall and people behind him kept yelling, "Sit down Lurch!" which, as you might imagine, didn't exactly please his ever dour countenance. He left before the b-stage and missed a bitchin' "Crazy Mama." Of course he has one of those back at the mansion.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: June 30, 2008 16:25

Elmo, I didn't think he would like Paint it Black,
I was thinking more Brown Sugar ...

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: June 30, 2008 17:04

marvpeck
Elmo, I didn't think he would like Paint it Black,
I was thinking more Brown Sugar ...

At least you didn't mention "Hey Negrita."

Ooops...

Date: June 30, 2008 17:42

What hath Elmo wrought? smoking smiley

Date: June 30, 2008 22:18

I'll take a "NEGRO" as you Southern/Red State/all inclusive GOP boys like to call em over a drooling, Adult Diaper wearing Grandfather who owns 8 or 9 properties (the man can't remember, seriously) with his mega rich ugly skank wife but yet has defaulted for 4 years on property taxes on his La Jolla, California Condo which soon will be taken away from him for default on the taxes.... Then there's his wife owing $200,000 on her AMEX cards.... Sounds like that's EXACT like someone we need to balance the US budget so the dollar can rise up out of the toilet.... really, shouldn't we just keep GRANDPA on a heavy morphine I.V. drip and let him rant on all day long to the cast of ONE FLEW OVER THE COO COO NEST about being a Vietnam POW - I mean, the guy couldn't manage one of those NYC all beef corner Hot Dog carts let alone a giant Government - give gramps the Morphine and let him SOAR like an eagle !!!.....

Date: June 30, 2008 22:33

HelterSkelter
I'll take a "NEGRO" as you Southern/Red State/all inclusive GOP boys like to call em over a drooling, Adult Diaper wearing Grandfather who owns 8 or 9 properties (the man can't remember, seriously) with his mega rich ugly skank wife but yet has defaulted for 4 years on property taxes on his La Jolla, California Condo which soon will be taken away from him for default on the taxes.... Then there's his wife owing $200,000 on her AMEX cards.... Sounds like that's EXACT like someone we need to balance the US budget so the dollar can rise up out of the toilet.... really, shouldn't we just keep GRANDPA on a heavy morphine I.V. drip and let him rant on all day long to the cast of ONE FLEW OVER THE COO COO NEST about being a Vietnam POW - I mean, the guy couldn't manage one of those NYC all beef corner Hot Dog carts let alone a giant Government - give gramps the Morphine and let him SOAR like an eagle !!!.....

R. rolls eyes. Laughs out loud. Thanks god our great country has tolerance for idiots like the example above as opposed to Iran for example. They're harmless. Useless but harmless.

Date: June 30, 2008 22:43

Oh look, it's R.... missed your intelligent brilliance this morning so used REGIS and KATHY LEE as a sub..... not as bright as you r R, I must admit...."great country"? You didn't tell me you're going to France... are you in Paris right now? You lucky dog.....

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 30, 2008 22:48

I would have though that Paint it, Barak would be his favourite song,lol!

Actually, we were approached to record a version of PIB as Paint it Barak with new lyrics, aimed at sending up Hilary Clinton I think. Copywright Law soon prevented that idea though,lol!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: June 30, 2008 22:50

HelterSkelter
Oh look, it's R.... missed your intelligent brilliance this morning so used REGIS and KATHY LEE as a sub..... not as bright as you r R, I must admit...."great country"? You didn't tell me you're going to France... are you in Paris right now? You lucky dog.....

Helter' reinforces R,'s point.

You're too easy man. MUCH too easy.

Date: June 30, 2008 23:02

Stikky, that's a tall order, you'd have to out do this one -

Can you imagine grandpa having a video like this? NO WAY

Date: June 30, 2008 23:10

R

Yo, R, that's EXACTLY what all the boys down at the REPUB COUNTRY CLUB tell me when the drinks start flowing.... damn, how could you not give in to those cute, cubby, empty headed smug blonde boys? Way beyond my will power -lol......(that'll freak R out for a few hours... Bahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 23:15 by HelterSkelter.

Date: June 30, 2008 23:20

HelterSkelter
R

Yo, R, that's EXACTLY what all the boys down at the REPUB COUNTRY CLUB tell me when the drinks start flowing.... damn, how could you not give in to those cute, cubby, empty headed smug blonde boys? Way beyond my will power -lol......(that'll freak R out for a few hours... Bahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!)

LOL, like shootin' fish in the proverbial barrel.

Helter', quit while you're sucking hind tit. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 23:24 by R.

Date: June 30, 2008 23:35

Really, Helter, I don't dig being stereotyped either. Based on your all-knowing posts, I'm a helluva lot more tolerant than you (most folks in our part of the world are).

Not all of us are related to the Clampetts and Duke boys (Bo and Luke, not the lacrosse team). FYI, I'm graduated cum laude (that mean I dun real good >grinning smiley< )from Mercer University, Harvard of the South.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 30, 2008 23:36

Helter, what is is with you and Elmo?
Is there some complicated undertext I cant comprehend,
as a non-native English speaker.. ?

If you believe all Southerners are rednecks,
then you're stupid as a log. Hope it aint so.

And when I'm still speakin'; I'd like to ask the
parish why cosmoprim were thrown out from here?

Date: June 30, 2008 23:41

Thanks, Bro.

cosmo was here just a few days ago. Has he been banned? See the "Keith's Best Vocal" thread.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home