Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WHO IS BETTER GUITARIST,Keith or Gilmour
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 16, 2008 16:33

well, the question is not one of the brightest ones, but I am quite happy that people here are at least "tollerant" to Dave. Acouple of days ago I came accros a Pink Floyd discussion at the Bob Dylan forum and people were really nasty about PF music. I find it very very unnecessary. I personaly like Bob, I love Stones, PF and lots of other bands. So what? Everybody has a different taste, which is just fine. Just because I don't like some kind of music doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad or stupid. Does it?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:03

if you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding.how can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat ?i got a little black book with my poems in a bag with a toothbrush and comb and whem im a good boy they sometimes throw me a bonnet.i got elastic bands keeping my shoes on and i got the inevitable pinhole burns all down the front of my favorite silk shirt.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:04

As far as I know Gary Gilmour didn't play guitar so my vote is for Keith......

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2008 18:18

Well, I think you could replace Gilmour with ANY 'guitar god' and you will get the same arguments for Keith... a'la it is not the technical ability, but the the rhythm sense, soul, etc. Keith is very unique kind of guitarist. Very difficult to define in terms of traditional guitarist criteria (the people who read guitar magazines, etc.). A mark of a true genious, in fact.

I think one could make a test for the 'big guitarists': put them in front of audience and give them a task just to play two or one notes, no more, to make a difference. Keith would won that race half-sleep. No one can produce more significant sounds as he does. Keith electrifies the air. No matter how out of tune he might be...

- Doxa

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: June 17, 2008 00:59

Keith has always had that incredible knack of making the difficult things look and sound so easy...and he does it brilliantly.

On the other hand, Gilmour is technically superb and very pleasing on the ear, but hardly unique.

My vote goes for a pre-2006 Keith.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:04

music is not sports!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2008 05:20

The intriguing thing about Dave Gilmour is that he usually plays really slow. And then when he goes a bit faster, it sounds like he is a very fast guitar player. That being said, he is a very different player than Keith, but I also think he plays with a lot of feeling.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 17, 2008 06:27

Love Keith & the Stones, but people need to get serious. Keith was an adequate guitar player at best, but drinking, drugging and age took there toll on his limited skills.

IT'S GILMOUR, PERIOD!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 17, 2008 10:10

On the other hand...if you were to say who has had the biggest influence on players accross various Rock genres over the last 40 years...Keith by a country mile ;^).

Of course you can't compare them in a "better or worse" fashion.
Both are oustanding at what they do.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 17, 2008 10:59

Gilmour can make people cry, Keith can make people laugh. It´s just a matter of taste.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:54

Keith has always been a limited guitar player, and even more so now that his abilities have dimished of late. However, listen to the classics, the Honky Tonk Women guitar part - who else has ever played like that, who has ever created those sounds? The SFTD solo (from BB ) - again a great guitar sound. JJF, SFM, MR, GS... amazing, how does he do it? Luxury, Dance Little Sister...again, unique and unusual guitar sounds. This is what Keith should be applauded for and what makes his playing stand above so many others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 11:55 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2008 12:21

Gilmour can make people cry, Keith can make people laugh.

But don't ya heart and soul weep when ya hear things like the intro
ta Rocks Off...Gimme Shelter...JJFlash....The utter Kamikaze swoop of
Jigsaw ... Sympathy .... Slipping Away...Monkey Man .... The utter
knee-buckle and drown of Fightin' Man ... Oh YEAH they soak me every time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 17, 2008 12:45

You´re right, they are brilliant riffs, I just think the comparison between the two is a little...strained.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:53

It's like comparing a Corvette to a backhoe - there is no comparison. They each do such different things. I'm over-riding the Nothing good to say don't say anything factor and saying that...this is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on IORR!!!!!

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: June 17, 2008 20:56

I would agree that trying to compare Keith and Gilmore is like comparing apples to oranges, but I think most of us experienced guitar players would agree that there is at least a certain minimal skill level required to get your point across, and that both Keith and Gilmore are way past this skill level. Below this certain skill level lies suckiness. One of Keith's strengths is that he doesn't venture beyond his skill level much, and can therefore concentrate on feeling. Gilmore, though arguably technically superior, is often lacking in the feeling department, Comfortably Numb notwithstanding.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home