Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger Solo Australia/Japan 1988 Set List
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 11, 2008 22:21

Anyone know what the typical set list of this tour was?

PECMAN

Re: Mick Jagger Solo Australia/Japan 1988 Set List
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 11, 2008 22:30

From nzentgraf.de:

880322A 22nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome/Kurakuen Stadium
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

880927C 27th September: MICK JAGGER. Sydney, Australia, Entertainment Center
(Throwaway/Just Another Night/Lonely At The Top/Honky Tonk
Women/Miss You/Tumbling Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can’t
You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem Shuffle/Lucky In Love/Primitive
Cool/War Baby/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Band
introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Wild Colonial Boy/
Bitch/Rip This Joint/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n
Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-11 22:32 by erikjjf.

Date: June 11, 2008 22:33

Wow...for a guy who was supposedly touring to promote his solo records, he sure played a ton of Stones songs...no wonder Keith wanted to slit his throat...

War Baby Live???????? Man, the Urinal lines must have been really long during that song!

Thanks for the list.

PECMAN

Date: June 11, 2008 22:35

What's "WILD COLONIAL BOY"?...anybody know?

PECMAN

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 11, 2008 23:15

Pecman
What's "WILD COLONIAL BOY"?...anybody know?

PECMAN

From Ned Kelly, I think.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: June 11, 2008 23:37

Looks like Mick didn't stray too far from the all-too-standard "warhorses" at the end of his solo sets.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 11, 2008 23:49

Anyway, one of the worst ever Stones related events.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 11, 2008 23:55

Exchange the Jagger solo songs with Jagger/Richards compositions, and you almost have the 1989/1990 setlist. Jaggers 1988 tours probably meant a lot for the construction of the Steel Wheels performances incl. the backgroundvocalists/keyboards-ingredient...also for the RS tours that followed up till now. The standards for a Rolling Stones tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-11 23:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 11, 2008 23:58

<<From Ned Kelly, I think>>

From Nico Zentgraf's site:

LP 'Ned Kelly' (United Artists UAS 29108). Producer: Ron Haffkine.
Arranged by Ron Frangipane & Ron Haffkine. Incl.
- The Wild Colonial Boy (Trad., arr.: Shel Silverstein) -MJ on lead vocals

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 12, 2008 00:30

Very true words Erik

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 12, 2008 00:49

The one song that stands out in those set lists is "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"...somehow that doesn't fit in with what he was doing as well as "RIP THIS JOINT".

So is it true that Jagger played Can't You Hear Me Knocking" live before the Stones ever did?

PECMAN

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 12, 2008 00:53

Maybe, maybe not. There's been discussions whether they did try CYHMK on that '71 UK Tour. I seem to remember Keith saying that they did...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2008 01:00

Rolling Stones did rehearse Rip This Joint for Urban Jungle though.
It's still a minor detail if one or two songs were replaced with others

Date: June 12, 2008 01:10

Erik,

My point was it seemed like Jagger was filling the set list with same Warhorses and CYHMK and RIP THIS JOINT might have been to unknown to a general audience for a fluffy 80's show.

You are right regarding that this Jagger tour molded the Stones into the corporate stadium show that we have today.

PECAMN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 12, 2008 05:03

thats why keith was so pissed, mick trying to be the stones without the stones, pointless!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: June 12, 2008 05:30

Hey guys,

Just to let you know from someone "downunder" that was actually at those shows, that the shows were fantastic & I can guarantee that the Australian Tour was a huge success for Mick.

Don't forget, us Aussies hadn't seen the Stones for 13 years & they weren't to show up again until around 1995, so to have Mick come over in 1986 [it was '86 I am fairly certain & not '88], and play for us, while the Stones had no chance in hell of getting a gig together at that time, was a great thrill for us all.

He played 2 shows each in Brisbane [which I saw], Adelaide & Perth & something like 7 shows each in Sydney [which I saw a few] & Melbourne, at the biggest arenas for each of those 5 cities. These were not stadium shows, but he could have easily filled a couple of stadiums each in Sydney & Melbourne.

"WILD COLONIAL BOY" was for us in Australia, no different to "BOB WILLS IS STILL THE KING" for all those Texanites in Austin. It went down great with the audience & it was Micks approach & originality that made the song a smash hit with us. I can truly relate to the Texas ABB show with how the audience felt while Mick sang their song to them.

As for-
a] "WORST STONES RELATED EVENT" - maybe for you, definately not for us Aussies who loved the shows & appreciated it very much for having Mick visit us at a very troubled time during the bands history.
b] "WAR BABY / LONG URINAL LINE" - didn't happen, period!
c] "FLUFFY 80's SHOW" - well it wasn't the Stones but the band played very very well & Mick was firing.

There is a great Video document of the Tour "Mick Jagger Deep Down Under" which is a full show + special videos shot in the Aust outback for PARTY DOLL & a MICK SOLO HARMONICA NUMBER - both Superb!!! & also some backstage stuff at his Australian secret warm up club gigs.

The set list above as I recall seems to be pretty spot on, with other shows I saw having a song or 2 dropped / added in for different nights.

If you didn't see one of these shows, don't judge it too harshly, maybe first check out the above video. If you still think it was a mistake for Mick, then rip into him, I am not here to criticise you.

What I do remember is how he put Australia in such a great vibe for the month or so he was here & for those of us who saw the shows, no one gave a bad review or was negative towards it. It was a brillaint show / concert event at that time during 1986.

Anyway, off to see SHINE A LIGHT for the 6th time @ IMAX tomorrow, so God bless our mighty Rolling Stones in 2008!

All the best to you all.

silverstones69.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 12, 2008 11:11

Silverstone - it was definitely 1988. I was there too - 17 years old at the time, saw Mick in Sydney, and managed to get down to the very front row. I agree that he really did create a huge buzz in Australia for the month or so he was there. The concerts were fantastic - not the Stones by any stretch of the imagination, but at the time the Stones had as good as broken up and everyone thought that Mick solo was the best we were going to get. The only downsides for me were the guitarists -Jimmy Rip was trying too hard to be Keith (and not succeeding) and Joe Satriani just seemed out of place. But overall it was great, and certainly not the "worst Stones-related event ever" - surely that accolade must go to Mick's duet with Michael Jackson (State of Shock).

Date: June 12, 2008 17:48

Silverstones69,

Thanks for your personal take on that tour.

John Lomax,

You couldn't have said it any better than those three words "STATE OF SHOCK"!

PECMAN

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 12, 2008 19:03

Hard woman and sex machine played only in Auckland. I have a copy of the video.

881105A 5th November: MICK JAGGER. Auckland, New Zealand, Western Springs Stadium
(Just Another Night/Throwaway/Honky Tonk Women/Miss You/Tumbling
Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can't You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem
Shuffle/Lucky In Love/War Baby/You Can't Always Get What You Want/
Little Red Rooster/Band introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Hard
Woman/Sex Machine/Bitch/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/
It's Only Rock'n Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction)
Note: A private video of the whole show exists.

'The brothers of sodom' was a great idea. There is a doubt about the complete set list of the corner hotel show. To my knowledge there is no audience tape for it, just the official video partly aired.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 12, 2008 19:45

That's a very enjoyable video (despite the unfortunate haircut) and contains two exlusive songs, "Stomp" and "Deep Down Under". Zentgraf also mentions a Mick original played on this tour: "What Kind Of World Is This?" Anyone know more about this song? I don't recall it in the video.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 12, 2008 20:27

If I was Keith, I would have been pissed off as well! Either go solo or don't but way too many Stones songs in there.

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: June 12, 2008 21:06

Anybody got "Winning Ugly" from one of the Australian shows and can post it here??

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 03:31

John Lomax,

Yeah - you are pretty spot on about the guitarists, I recall some not too bright people in the crowd pointing & asking "Is that Keith?" when Jimmy Rip came out. Didn't we stick it to them!!!! He can play the riffs, but he certainly ain't no Keith, although his effort with Mick on SNL "DON'T TEAR ME UP" is awesome [on youtube].
And yes, we certainly felt right at that moment in time, like this was our 1 & only chance to see Mick Jagger Live in concert & he didn't disappoint us. Thankfully how wrong we were, & since then we have seen the "great men" visit us downunder 3 times since Voodoo Lounge & onwards.

PECMAN,

It's a pleasure - i hope you get to see the "MICK JAGGER DEEP DOWN UNDER VIDEO" soon, I still enjoy it very much, but I guess being there gives you different memories of the tour / shows. I will convert soon to DVD, so will let you know once I have this done & ready.

Glam Descendant,

YES - there was a song Mick played live on this tour called "WHAT KIND OF WORLD?". I can only recall the chorus now which I remember being kind of catchy after hearing it sung live a couple of times. Was not a bad song by any stretch, but certainly not a NO 1 smash. It does not appear on the feature I have, so am only going from my memory & from when I try to sing it - which is not to be recommended I tell you!!! We still sometimes try to sing it when we are sitting around after 2 bottles of JD & reminiscing about this tour. What a laugh that is trying to sing a song after 20+ years, that you only ever heard a couple of times.

Cheers.

silverstones69

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:26

melillo
thats why keith was so pissed, mick trying to be the stones without the stones, pointless!!!!!!!!!

as opposed to this random Keith setlist from later the same year :

Take It So Hard/How I Wish/I Could Have Stood You Up/Before They
Make Me Run/Too Rude/I Wanna Be Your Man
/You Don’t Move Me/
Make No Mistake/Time Is On My Side/Big Enough/Whip It Up/Locked
Away/Little T & A/Struggle/Happy/Connection/Rockawhile/It Means A Lot)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:54

well first of all those are keith stones songs or cover versions not the stones anthems that mick was doing, and second keith did the old if you can do it why cant i routine imho, but yes keith did do stones songs so i guess he is guilty to

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:48

Silverstones69, you are spot on it was a fantastic show. In perth the joint was packed, front page news even with special public transport laid on it still took nearly 3 hours to drive out of the city after the show. Oh by the way pecman, you shouldnt criticise a show you obviously know nothing about(unknown to a general audience for a fluffy 80s show). Get yourself a passport buddy, you have never left town I think.

Date: June 13, 2008 10:04

we have not much information about 'what kind of world is this'. As said by Mick he wrote the song on tour. No studio version exists. I like a lot the riff - great Satriani Ripp work.

The Djakarta show was special. You could not imagine today Mick to play there due to the political system.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2008 14:38

melillo
well first of all those are keith stones songs or cover versions not the stones anthems that mick was doing, and second keith did the old if you can do it why cant i routine imho, but yes keith did do stones songs so i guess he is guilty to

Theres no difference between Keith performing a few Stones songs that he wrote/Stones hits at one of his solo concerts and Mick Jagger doing the same.

The only difference is that only one of them publicly bitched about the other doing it in order to get a few column inches - and then proceeded to do it himself anyway.

Jagger played a few more Stones songs than Richards did, but then again his shows were about 50% longer than Keith's were, so thats somewhat understandable.

The best thing to have come out of the whole episode was that it gave Keith better experience in what it was like to front a band. His onstage singing improved dramatically as a result from 1988 on.

That, plus the more important long term fact that they were both able to get that angst out of their system and realise that the sum of their collective greatness when working together is so much better than the individual parts.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 13, 2008 16:37

Gazza, I don't agree with your last judgement.
For me Keith solo is much more enjoyable than all what the Stones did from 89 and on on stage. The Winos 'rock' much more in my opinion that the Stones in the Steel Wheel area on later on.

Date: June 13, 2008 18:10

Kees,

I saw keith in paris in 92. it was a too short show. Keith was vocally just ok but.
More rock'n'roll I agree. But this is a question of opinion.
Keith cannot hold it alone. A show requires a show man. Mick is.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home