Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Springsteen Most Over-rated Artist Of Our Time
Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 9, 2008 13:53

I don't really know the entire Bruce catalogue, in fact I know only a few of his albums. When his new material came out, there was a big hype here in iorr forum regarding how great Bruce was and it made me listen to his new single 'Radio Nowhere'.
That song is so lame and boring for me. I didn't understand why he was so popular here on the Rolling Stones forum. People bashed the Stones regarding ABB, that songs are boring, simple etc. Listen to ANY track of ABB and even (for me) the lamest Sweet Neo Con has more energy that Radio Nowhere.
And that zip mouth singing makes me laugh...

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 9, 2008 15:15

His first album is great, after that he lost it...seriously, one of my worst live experiences ever was seeing him in 1985 looking like a body-builder, fist in the air, screeming through the entire set like a madman.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 9, 2008 15:41

One of the advantages that the Rolling Stones have with providing a predictable 'greatest hits' setlist, with little or no new material, is that it is so much easier to indulge those followers whose 'investment' in the band goes little further than ownership of a 'very best of' collection, and/or a knowledge of one or two of their more well-known albums.

For this very reason, it becomes so much easier for even the most non-commital and naieve of music followers to attend a Stones concert and emerge over night as a 'fanatic' of the band, having been given exactly what they wanted to hear.

Which is nice.

However, when those same people complain because the likes of Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young etc., do not cater for such whimsical and transient tastes, then my advice is to stick to those 'artists' whose setlists can reliably be found on their latest Greatest Hits re-package.

It's the only way that you might 'get it', so to speak.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 9, 2008 16:26

LOGIE
One of the advantages that the Rolling Stones have with providing a predictable 'greatest hits' setlist, with little or no new material, is that it is so much easier to indulge those followers whose 'investment' in the band goes little further than ownership of a 'very best of' collection, and/or a knowledge of one or two of their more well-known albums.

For this very reason, it becomes so much easier for even the most non-commital and naieve of music followers to attend a Stones concert and emerge over night as a 'fanatic' of the band, having been given exactly what they wanted to hear.

Which is nice.

However, when those same people complain because the likes of Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young etc., do not cater for such whimsical and transient tastes, then my advice is to stick to those 'artists' whose setlists can reliably be found on their latest Greatest Hits re-package.

It's the only way that you might 'get it', so to speak.

An alternative means of "getting it" is to actually like what you hear, whether it be on record old or new, or on a greatest hits re-package, or in a live performance. Well, I've listened to a good few records of his over the years, didn't like what I heard - so I gave 'em all away. Went to see him in concert and similarly didn't like what I heard - so won't be doing that again fank you very much. So I'd conclude from this that in my case it's quite simple ... I simply don't like what I hear. Guess I don't "get it" then. I've lost you on the whimsical and transient tastes bit ... your point is ? If you're suggesting that anything OTHER than a wholesome and in-depth familiarity with an artist's entire output of material constitutes being possessed of taste of a whimsical and transient nature, then I'd have to disagree with you. You seem to be prepared to make no allowances for the fact that there are any number of artists whose output is such that what is actually of any appeal to any number of individuals CAN essentially be summarised within the context of a greatest hits package. Think of it as a ratio, 10 tracks on a CD, 9 do nothing for you whatsoever, 1 does. Bit like Mars Bars really, some of us like the odd one from time to time, but an entire boxful ... no thanks !!

Anyway, might have known you'd seize upon this thread to bang the drum about Stones' setlists. Ten out of ten for consistency there Mr Logie, I totally approve ! Keep it up. Look forward to seeing you at a future Stones show. We can sing along together to Satisfaction for the er ....... let me think now ....... 570 millionth time ! Say, d'ya know the words ?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 9, 2008 16:26

People... when you start fighting I simply have to close the discussion. Sorry about that.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home