Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
Re: Capitol Theatre Aberdeen 1982
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 13, 2008 23:37

scottkeef
That is such a magical period and(not to put Mick T or Ron down at all)I think if there were more available lots of people who maybe didnt experience the original Stones would get better insight! Too bad someone couldnt get a club recording like The Beatles Star Club of the Stones, just for the quality. By the 65-67 venues it was SO loud with screaming and as I'm sure someone here could tell us about the quality(or lack of) the PA systems used in the early days? Did they even really "mix" anything? Just some interesting points to ponder.

In most cases, they rarely, if ever, mic the drums till 1969 or so! Amps provided their own volume etc.

Mixing? Make the vocals as loud as possible!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 23:53 by His Majesty.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 13, 2008 23:41

Mathijs
silkcut1978_
His Majesty
Can't imagine someone getting an old valve revox in to a venue undetected though huh!? I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

My brother-in-law recorded Vienna 1967 on an Uher machine and he had two friends helping him to bring all the stuff in as he recorded all groups - so he needed (I think) 3 reel-to-reel tapes and plenty of accus to keep the Uher going.

Don't forget - back then it wasn't (at least on the continent) forbidden to tape shows and he made hours and hours of recordings. Sad, but only 1 Stones-show..

silkcut

Does he still have that tape? I remember Vienna '67 being awfull sound, and an upgrade would be fantastic!

Mathijs

He copied the recording to a single track (Mono) a few days after the show and wiped the original tape with a new recording. The "1st gen." still exists and it's the one I copied to a TDK Metal-tape about 25 years ago. I still have the tape as well and was often thinkin' about taking "the dust off"...
But what should I say - he was seated (or better standing) in one of the 1st rows in front of stage right before Bill's amp (long before the days of PA, yes scottkeef) and that's whats makin' it awful. As soon as Bill hits the strings everything else is burried.
You might know that there's another source - incomplete but better where I'm having a 1st gen. on tape - the one of my bro-in-law is 2nd gen. "only" and I don't have access to the reel.

Time to dust them both off? you tell me.

silkcut

Date: November 13, 2008 23:42

Yes please!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 13, 2008 23:43

Absolutely!

Mathijs

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 13, 2008 23:47

will be my pleasure - but this time I don't promise anything as I a) have to locate the tapes in my tape-dump and b) they've been rotting for years... but on the other hand a few of my 73-tapes very pretty good when I transfered them last spring so there's hope.

but don't hold your breath - maybe better then the circulating versions but still bad (the one) and good (the other) only.

keep your fingers crossed for me on Sunday when I'll try to find them ;-)

silkcut

Date: November 13, 2008 23:58

Lets aim for a Glasgow 66 and Vienna 67 double bill!

Oh man, that reads soooo good! thumbs up

Date: November 14, 2008 00:02

silkcut1978_
will be my pleasure - but this time I don't promise anything as I a) have to locate the tapes in my tape-dump and b) they've been rotting for years... but on the other hand a few of my 73-tapes very pretty good when I transfered them last spring so there's hope.

but don't hold your breath - maybe better then the circulating versions but still bad (the one) and good (the other) only.

silkcut

Well...while your at it -anything else interesting maybe? Some nice new source for a '73 show?

Would be great!

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2008 02:19

How was the "Got Live" official album recorded?(although I realize 2 songs were studio and dubbed on). The energy is great but as far as the mix it seems the EP and the Paris Radio bcasts were more even. The Beatles Hollywood Bowl recordings seem to be better recorded also(for their time). Of course I still listen to my 70s vinyl copy-do the cds sound any different?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 14, 2008 02:44

<<I have just listened through the first disc of Aberdeen 1982; very enjoyable quality>>

I've just listened to it for the first time and it's my impression; they sounded a bit rusty for the first 4-5 - not really surprising. I think things started to happen with Black Limousine, which was a great rendition. The rest seemed to be on par with a good '81 show. Definetely a keeper imo.

Agree on the quality. Very nice.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 14, 2008 02:59

scottkeef
How was the "Got Live" official album recorded?(although I realize 2 songs were studio and dubbed on). The energy is great but as far as the mix it seems the EP and the Paris Radio bcasts were more even. The Beatles Hollywood Bowl recordings seem to be better recorded also(for their time). Of course I still listen to my 70s vinyl copy-do the cds sound any different?

cough ---->

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-14 03:29 by open-g.

Posted by: sway666 ()
Date: November 14, 2008 08:41

Mathijs
silkcut1978_

silkcut

Well...while your at it -anything else interesting maybe? Some nice new source for a '73 show?

Would be great!

Mathijs

Let me say it this way - what I've found ('73) and what was worth a transfer I already seeded on Dime last spring but I have 1 or 2 more tapes I was looking for but couldn't find. I might have - again 1 or 2 shows - from 1970 as well that are better/nearer to the Master than what's circulating. We'll see what happens on Sunday and I'll keep you updated.

silkcut

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: November 14, 2008 12:18

Fantastic! Listening right now. It doesn’t happen everyday a warm up gig of the Last Great Tour surfaces ;-) I was in nervous anticipation while they played in Aberdeen and saw my first show just a week later in Rotterdam.

Btw, this thread reads like a piece of history in the making. The first wondering of His Majesty if a recording exists, the unexpected news it does, the subsequent expectations, the stalling by Mathijs and the snails, and the final sweet release…

Thanks to all involved!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: November 14, 2008 13:01

Greg
the stalling by Mathijs and the snails

Well, that sounds nice...stalling...

Sorry, I did not foresee I am traveling Europe, Middle-East, China and the US since early October and didn't get to spend one weekend at home.

Mathijs

Date: November 14, 2008 13:05

Mathijs, you mut be joining either the IOC or th IMF!

Date: November 14, 2008 15:57

Mathijs
Greg

Sorry, I did not foresee I am traveling Europe, Middle-East, China and the US since early October and didn't get to spend one weekend at home.

Mathijs

Damn, seems you've been painted as the bad guy in this historical thread! grinning smiley

Date: November 14, 2008 16:37

In defense of Mathijs: the longer the wait, the better the meal (as my dad always says)

After listening the whole show through I think the notion that the European legs of the tours are weaker than the Amercan ones should be ditched. They really play with gusto. Listen to Keiths backing vox on LSTNT. The show sounds like a European, more intimate version of Hampton.

Date: November 14, 2008 16:54

His Majesty
Mathijs
Greg

Mathijs

Damn, seems you've been painted as the bad guy in this historical thread! grinning smiley

And you think that's funny!

Mathijs

Date: November 14, 2008 16:57

Mathijs

And you think that's funny!

Mathijs

Not funny - ha ha- but funny as in WTF!?!?

Date: November 14, 2008 17:19

I am a bit surprised as well...

Thank god the discs didn't get lost in the mail, or else I would have been shot!

Mathijs

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: November 14, 2008 17:35

Mathijs

Thank god the discs didn't get lost in the mail, or else I would have been shot!

Mathijs

Or raped by 10 well-endowed prisoners with garlic breath

Date: November 14, 2008 17:37

Mathijs, my remark about stalling was purely ironical, I just hate it to put a smiley every other line. I really don't think anyone is blaming you whatsoever.

Now anyone wants to comment on the show?

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: November 14, 2008 17:44

Greg
Now anyone wants to comment on the show?

From a historical perspective it was a fantastic find. As far as the recording it's an average recording 6.5-7 in my opinion only. It sounded like the crowd was really into the show tons of hand clapping, and the show had an awesome format that they should take up again if they tour, that being no songs by Keith. Thanks again to all those involved in this, it's great to add to the collection.

Date: November 14, 2008 18:08

gimme_shelter
Mathijs

Mathijs

Well, that wouldn't be punishment, really. I've had worse, like sleeping in the same room with the drummer of the band.

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 14, 2008 19:00

gimme_shelter
Mathijs

Mathijs

I would imagine that, faced with that scenario, their breath would have been the least of your worries...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2008 20:29

Wonder how long it will be before Godfather and SODD release it as "newly found" probably with no credit due and I bet they even use open-gs efforts as their own!Of course thats fine for fans with no other access to this great find but it can get a might irritating!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 14, 2008 21:13

Many people overrate the audio of boots. I don't want to overrate this one but, personally, I think it's a bit better than a 6.5 - 7.0. It's very listenable, which most people characterize as somewhere in the VG range.

By the way, it's now posted on Hot Stuff for those that can't manage torrents.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 14, 2008 21:22

Listening to it right now on my stereo. Excellent soundwise I say, a very good recording, with a nice balance. Mick may be too upfront, and the keyboards a little too prominent. But really a great recording. (I rate it 7.5 out of 10 at least)

Jaggers vocals are excellent throughout, really good. Keith and Ronnie are excellent too.

Highlights so far for me : Neighbours (great start of the song, and i really like the sax here) Black Limousine (great solo from Ronnie, a fine rendition anyway)

Just My Imagination (just the right tempo, nice guitars)

Twenty Flight Rock/Going To A Go Go/Chantilly Lace (three in a row and rocking! like only the Stones can, nice to hear the reactions of the crowd) Solos are spot on from Keith. Nice interplay between all the musicians, they are really interacting to each other on stage.

Hear the reception the new songs get from the crowd, everyone is anxious about them) Makes you wish you were there.

Let Me Go: Bill's playing lifts it up from an average song to a great rocker.

That's it so far. On to the next track(s) !

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 14, 2008 21:52

Yeah, I thought Mick was pretty good...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 14, 2008 21:53

I actually think the crowd's energy dips a bit during the "oldies" part of the set--was this the case at all the 81-82 shows? and if so, why did they keep playing them?

at one point mick says, "we're going to do an old one," and the crowd goes, "YEAH!" and mick says something like, no not one of ours, do you remember this song "Chantilly Lace"... and the crowd goes, "oh." Now, I really like these numbers, though mick sounds a bit uncomfortable on "CL"--it makes sense if this is the first time they've done it. Or, my sense is that these rockabilly numbers were put in the set by keith, and mick's iffy on the whole idea. He sounds comfortable with the soul tunes. Do you think that's right?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 14, 2008 22:06

On Chantilly Lace you are probably right in saying that Mick sounds a bit uncomfortable singing, but that has to do with it being a 'new' one in the set, and they aren't his own lyrics. But those 3 (TFR,GTaGG,CL are a good combo and worked great.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home