Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"100 Years Ago" live
Posted by: Turdontherun ()
Date: January 25, 2008 21:04

Hello. New member here -- hailing from S-s-sweden (the sacred land of blond ladies, big mountains, deep forests, the midnight-sun, and so on). Friend of the-one-and-only-world's-famous LieB. Well-well-well.

Don't you think "100 Years Ago" sounded at least reasonably good live 1973? I mean -- why did they drop it? To me, that song was one of the real highlights the scarce few times it was played. That intro ... Hot stuff.

Re: "100 Years Ago" live
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 25, 2008 21:23

Welcome!

Heard the somg some days ago for the first time live (Vienna and Mannheim 73).
Yes, it´s reallyx great. They should do it again on th next tour.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 25, 2008 21:40

I didn't know they'd ever played it live! Way Cool!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: January 25, 2008 21:48

i LOVE that song

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 25, 2008 23:37

Elmo Lewis
I didn't know they'd ever played it live! Way Cool!

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 26, 2008 00:50

The only known performances are the first two shows of the '73 European Tour (Vienna and Mannheim).

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 26, 2008 02:12

The Goats Head version is great, thanks to Jagger's superb vocal and Taylor's soaring, lyrical guitar, rooted in blues power. Keith sounds like he's just playing bass, so I doubt they'd resurrect it live as neither Wood nor Keith played guitar. And I've never heard those rare live versions - what are they like compared to GHS?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 26, 2008 03:05

shit song in my opinion, boring mid 70's wank.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 26, 2008 03:11

Fantastic tune.....i like the live version too

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 26, 2008 03:15

Isn't Billy Preston prominent on keyboards on that?
They might not ressurect it for that reason too.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 26, 2008 03:53

john r
And I've never heard those rare live versions - what are they like compared to GHS?

Sounds quite close to the original studio version. Very keyboard-driven. Micks vocal is very very emotional and powerful, way more so than on the album version.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 26, 2008 04:55

excellent tune and ecxellent live versions, one of my wishes for the upcoming tour, i wont hold my breath

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: January 26, 2008 07:31

nah it's another great song that would be butchered to death if they play it now...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 26, 2008 07:59

Just like Gimme Shelter in 69 and Dance Little Sister in 75, it's a wonder why they left out 100 Years Ago in 1973 - it would have been fantastic once they really got it together. Maybe because of the the difficult singing?...probably wore Jaggers voice out.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: January 26, 2008 10:01

brass olive
nah it's another great song that would be butchered to death if they play it now...

What are the other tunes that were butchered to death?

Date: January 26, 2008 16:03

maybe he means the early bang versions of sway, the later ones were fine imho

Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 26, 2008 17:28

One of my favorite Stones songs, just as Winter.
Sway live was a surprise but never has come near the fantastic original in my opinion

Date: January 26, 2008 18:40

yes micks singing is to tame in the live version

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 26, 2008 20:36

The live version was ok, but it didn't get the audience response that's why they dropped it...like the '72 U.S. Tour's Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues, Torn and Frayed...lack of audience response equals engery lull from the crowd and that means switch rework the setlist...

Incidently there is a studio outtake of this song with an extended guitar solo on the lead out....very nice.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 27, 2008 12:03

I love that version on Ultimate Brussels Affair (The extra disc). It's as good, if not better, than the studio version.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2008 14:27

rattler2004
The live version was ok, but it didn't get the audience response that's why they dropped it...like the '72 U.S. Tour's Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues, Torn and Frayed...lack of audience response equals engery lull from the crowd and that means switch rework the setlist...

Incidently there is a studio outtake of this song with an extended guitar solo on the lead out....very nice.

Yes, taking that the Stones are foremost a performing band, when they say that some song "doesn't work out" that most probably has nothing to do with how good it sounds, or that they have difficulties in playing that (they have those sometimes with ANY song!). It is the audience response that matters.

But is just a shame that they already in 1970's were so consevative and looking for easy compromises and NOT instead tried to work HARDER the audiences - like thay once did - for example, in their first tours in the US and elsewhere. By the early 70's the Stones were already in that comfortable free ride, and started to to build their 'war horses' section...

By the way, the mentioning of the loud lead guitar in one of the takes of "100 Years Ago" (one of my all time favourite Stones songs; together with "Winter" a superb 'Two Micks go transcendental' colloboration) reminds me of the discussion we have of Andy Johns interview. I can see how ANGRY Keith might looked after hearing that and then goes to kicking Taylor out of the mixing room..."no use in studio", heh...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-27 14:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 27, 2008 22:26

Of the two circulating live versions of this song, I think I like the second performance (Mannheim 9/3/73) the best. The Vienna version is nice and is a better sounding recording, but I think it was tighter and the playing was better on that particular song in Mannheim. Too bad the recording ain't all that great.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 28, 2008 17:01

Doxa

(one of my all time favourite Stones songs; together with "Winter" a superb 'Two Micks go transcendental' colloboration)

- Doxa

Wow, never heard someone mention this before. Sway and Moonlight Mile spring to mind as other examples of Two Micks etc. Do you think Shine a light qualifies as well? And how about Time waits for no one?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 28, 2008 19:52

Marc and All,

That's why Jagger was so much more "pissed" that Taylor quit. Taylor & Jagger
were becoming much more of a writing team then Taylor pulled the rug out from
under him, Keith never held a grudge...

MLC

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 28, 2008 22:09

therollingmanu

Sounds quite close to the original studio version. Very keyboard-driven. Micks vocal is very very emotional and powerful, way more so than on the album version.

agreed, mick's singing is terrific on the live versions of "100 Years Ago." Particularly the "Mary and I..." line.

I have to think keith partly sabotaged this tune through lack of enthusiasm for playing it, since he wasn't very involved in writing it. "Fingerprint File" is another example. To me, I can hear mick forcing the energy somewhat on both tunes and feeling somewhat disappointed.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: January 28, 2008 22:31

Its a great song until they start jamming with Billy Preston awful...

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: January 28, 2008 22:53

Don't you think "100 Years Ago" sounded at least reasonably good live 1973? I mean -- why did they drop it? To me, that song was one of the real highlights the scarce few times it was played. That intro ... Hot stuff.[/quote]

Because the Stones have no guitarplayer that can do the job since 1975.>grinning smiley<

Date: January 28, 2008 23:30

MTfan - That's not gonna stop them...

Albett & company will clap at anything that's coming off the stage (currently)

MLC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: January 28, 2008 23:37

MTfan - That's not gonna stop them...

I know.
As long as people keep paying 100$ for a ticket they laugh themselves to death.

Date: January 28, 2008 23:49

No - They laugh themselves all the way to the bank!!!

MLC

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home