Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie scared of disappointing Jagger
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 22, 2007 04:58

London, Dec 21 - Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is nervous while performing with his band because he doesn't want to disappoint lead singer Mick Jagger.

Contactmusic.com reports that Jagger expects a lot from the group and Watts tries to do his best because he fears getting a glare from the iconic star.

He said: 'My mind doesn't usually wander off to trivial things, even when I'm playing a song I know backwards. The minute you do, a mistake happens. And bloody hell, Mick will turn around and give you a dirty look - he's got eyes everywhere, even when he's leaping about.'

But Jagger's stares never ruin the live experience for Watts and he still prefers the stage to the recording studio.

He added: 'Playing live has always been the thing we have done best. Studio stuff is something I have learned to do over the years. For me it's a bit of an interruption between playing live.'

The last part could be a good indication of the Stones' future from now on.

Re: Charlie scared of disappointing Jagger
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:06

And what indication do you read into that? More live performances, with Charlie faithfully in tow?

I think there's more to it than what the low-keyed drummer is saying publically. I believe they will play more gigs, but perhaps not on the previous scale of worldwide tours.

In any case, we're just mindlessly speculating, as we've done for the past twenty years or more.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:19

if that were the case mick would have quit long ago with all of keith and woodys mistakes , lol

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:30

is there a link to the full story?

p

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 12:12

it is obvious that charlie is very concentated live.
which is good cause the drums are so important to the groove/feel of stones song ,
while keiths playing has somewhat (...) deteriorated through the years, Clarlie (and micks singing ) has definitely kept a high and steady and even improving standard, So reliable

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 22, 2007 12:37

Charlie must be mellowing. He certainly didn't take kindly to it years ago when Mick referred to him as 'my drummer', Crash! Bang! Wallop!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 22, 2007 13:02

Mick obviously is into discipline and expects it from the band. This "revelation" from Charlie doesn't surprise me at all.... from what I read here - on IORR - Ronnie is doing better since getting off the booze and Keith is "TRYING" to do his best - maybe it's from the fall and/or meds so maybe Jagger goes a bit easier on him (or maybe he just doesn't wanna fight 24 hours a day) whatever the case it always seemed like Jagger was the band leader with the roving ear and evil eye, nothing really new here IMHO but interesting for Charlie to get so personal about band issues.... Doesn't mean a thing about what the future of the Touring Stones will be like...

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 14:03

So Mick can forget lyrics but gives Charlie the evil eye if he misses the beat? Sometimes I think that Mick should look a little closer to home...

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 22, 2007 14:31

It's really easy for Mick to to tell some things or having a dark eye. HIM, he has always screens around him to remind lyrics. If he was blind or mask his eyes, shure he'll forget lyrics. This day he sould have six eyes pointed on him. Six very dark eyes.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 22, 2007 14:38

Come on now, don't be throwing BAD VIBES on the MICKSTER, he keeps the boys in line !!!

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: December 22, 2007 15:43

if keith plays the wrong chord, it sounds bad for a second
if ronnie hits a wrong note it comes and goes

if charlie messes up, it can throw everybody else off (ie- shes so cold from wembley (i believe it is)

if the drummer comes in a half a bar too early without noticing every other musician in the band has to adapt what they are doing to find the beat again and hit the groove. so if charlie messes up, its waaaaay more noticiable and 'damaging' that if the other guys hit a wrong note...

however i wonder what charlie does to mick when he screws up the lyrics, even with a teleprompter

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 22, 2007 15:48

well, I'm glad Mick trys(or thinks he does) to keep everyone together these days.LOL Because in the mid 70s he NEVER sung the same set of lyrics right. Even when the band was tight on the 75 tour his singing was very suspect!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 22, 2007 15:49

but Charlie rarely screws up. By far, the most consistent musician in this great band.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 22, 2007 15:54

Hell what's Mick's going to do? Sack Charlie!? Bring in Jason Bonham?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 15:55 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 22, 2007 16:30

Mick's too busy giving that look to Keith and Ronnie haha

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: December 22, 2007 16:34

I actually like the screw-ups - that's what "live" means to me. Otherwise I would just go and see Madonna or some such with everything pre-recorded - or stay home and listen to the records ;-)

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 22, 2007 18:06

I've been in bands where one person pulls the kind of crap Mick pulls and it doesn't work. The stage is not the place to point out mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and you just need to play through them and talk about it afterward.

As far as what Charlie should do when Mick pulls this crap,
I'd suggest throwing a stick at him...that usually works pretty well....

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: chavostone ()
Date: December 22, 2007 18:11

ROLLINGSTONE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charlie must be mellowing. He certainly didn't
> take kindly to it years ago when Mick referred to
> him as 'my drummer', Crash! Bang! Wallop!

Charlie is Keith's drummer , cmon!!
ha

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 22, 2007 18:35

I think it's just Charlie's way of giving Mick a poke in the side, in his dry- humourus way.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 19:08

Take a look at the look Jagger gives Charlie during Taylor's LIV solo on L&G. Jagger is much quicker to react than Taylor when Charlie flubs one.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: December 22, 2007 19:21

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 22, 2007 20:21

Keith has always been co-leader with Mick - I don't want to debate fluctuating power dynamics within the band over the years. It seems like each has staked out his own territory, and it must be much easier for Mick to 'bottom line', say, Ron Wood, the newest member after 33 years, than Keith. So Keith vents his issues with Mick in the press, or surrounds himself with his entourage in the studio or whatever. Mick assumes control in his patented ways. Charlie has been able to survive perhaps because as Stephen Davis (quoting some insider) wrote, he's close to both Keith and Mick. Mick and Keith might abuse Ron, or marginalize him when he's mired in his addictions. If it was Bobby Keys - any non-Stone - they'd just not call him for the next tour...Charlie - musically and in terms of character - is a Rolling Stone to the core, however - thanks to his utterly self-effacing interviews - he's portrayed sometimes ("hates rock 'n' roll" blah blah). He obviously deeply respects Mick and Keith personally and artistically. It has nothing to do with being 'scared' of Mick's laser stares.

Date: December 22, 2007 22:20

sometimes its a shame the way mick n keith abuse woody, bordering on insulting, but he just takes it and tries to clown his way through it

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 22, 2007 22:24

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sometimes its a shame the way mick n keith abuse
> woody, bordering on insulting, but he just takes
> it and tries to clown his way through it

Well, what´s his options? Take it or leave I should say...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 22, 2007 22:26

I think this quote is blown out of proportion. While charlies cares what Mick thinks, saying that he is "Nearvous" and "Scared" is taking it too far. He's Scared??? Give me a break. Thats such a blatent spin that they're putting on it. Charlie once said "I never talk to reporters". Its easy to understand why.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 22:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: December 22, 2007 23:00

They all know that Charlie is the most solid of the band. So of course this comment is a joke as I am sure Charlie prides himself on making very few mistakes. I think they all communicate on stage about good and bad parts. Keith directs more with his guitar and by moving about the stage. Mick more with gestures and verbally. I think Charlie should take charge and throw sticks when someone screws up.

Date: December 22, 2007 23:01

charlie watts, the only stone with any dignity

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 23, 2007 00:39

Is dignity the opposite of Infamy?

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 24, 2007 00:45

Didn't Charlie punch Mick out a window once? Or almost?

So, Mick give's the eye, Keith gives the guitar thing, Ronnie..um.., and Charlie throws punches. Oh, and Bill marries your grandaughter. AND MICHEAL COHL STEALS YOUR SOUL.

Do I have this right?

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: December 24, 2007 01:25

Mick Jagger is the Rolling Stones frontpage.
As long as he is singing it doesn't matter.. (Maybe Keith).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home