Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Great record stores closing
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 14, 2007 16:37

"Times they are a changing" but not your memory ............
On they otherhand my son does visit a big record (LP) store nowedays only this is not the music we like but I guess he got the same feeling that I had 30 or so years back

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 14, 2007 17:57

buffalo7478 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was really disheartened on Friday night, during
> a trip to Toronto, when I went to stop by Sam The
> Record Man on Yonge...and it was closed! It was a
> huge record store, in a semi-sleazy area (of which
> Toronto has very few), right downtown, that had a
> great selection of all genres of music.
>
> Another one bites the dust...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I live in the UK, but, having family in and around toronto, I have visited many times, and have been to Sam's plenty of times and bought loads of cd's there. That really sucks that it's gone...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: November 14, 2007 18:39

THERE IS HOPE...

Independent music boutique Cactus Records reopens in Houston

(11/12/07 - HOUSTON) - A longtime hotspot for Texas and regional musicians -- and a beacon for their fans -- has reopened with some of the same faces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Except for ownership and location, little has changed at Cactus Records, which reopened Saturday, said Quinn Bishop, who managed the old store and is an owner of the new.

The independent music boutique sells all types of music, but it specializes in Texas music and focuses on providing a venue for local and regional musicians. The 6,000-square-foot shop sits in a shopping strip just a few blocks from the original.

"It has the same vibe as before," said Bishop, 40. "We just made it funkier."

After owners of the original store, Bud and Don Daily, retired and shut down the business in March 2006, they gave the naming rights to Bishop, who had worked at the store for 20 years.

He is now one of four owners. In addition, most of the old staff has returned.

The store's walls are lined with music memorabilia, vintage photographs and retro concert posters, featuring artists such as Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline and Janis Joplin. The boutique also has an art gallery, featuring music-themed retro works. Old and new vinyls, or LPs, are sold in a special section.

The Daily family got into the music business back in 1933, when accountant H.W. "Pappy" Daily left Southern Pacific Railroad and opened a shop downtown that sold jukeboxes. In 1946, he opened Daily's Record Ranch (the new store sells T-shirts with the Record Ranch logo), which he sold to sons Bud and Don in 1959. They opened Cactus in 1975.

The Dailys found success for decades in Houston's music scene, but the business has changed in recent years, presenting challenges for independent retailers. Bigger companies have lower prices, and many potential buyers are downloading music from the Internet.

But that can be an advantage to a specialty business determined to woo sophisticated listeners with a unique selection and an artsy shopping experience, Bishop said.

For 30 years, Alan Prince shuffled through volumes of vinyls at Cactus and attended concerts there. Prince was one of the first customers at Saturday's reopening.

"Houston is a big town," he said. "We need this kind of place."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home