Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: would there be room for mick t and ron?
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 8, 2007 20:55

If you put MT in a 2-week boot camp and get him back in "World Tour" shape, hell yeah. I saw him in NYC a couple of weeks ago for the Experience Hendrix show and his solos were plain amazing. I (now) love Ronnie but MT (in shape) can still teach him a trick or two.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 8, 2007 21:33

I agree. I think a lot of people misunderstood that I never called for replacing ron(who I always liked even before the stones especially in Jeff Becks original band and the faces when rod still rocked!), but to compliment the stones performances with the solos that he owns to this day. will this ever happen? probably not but the intent of the question was could it work.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 9, 2007 00:56

Ablett old boy - read Micwer's comments in regards to Mr. Taylor

put him on the stage with the Stones and just watch what happens!!!

On a similiar note - he out-shined Mr. Clapton at Mayall's 70th b-day gig!!!

MLC

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: November 9, 2007 01:26

I don't know if this is where this post goes, but what the hell. Its not really about either guitarists, its about the resurfacing claim that the Stones are a gutless nostalgia jukebox. OK, part of being the biggest, which whether we agree or not does appear important to the band and Mr. Cohl, is selling tickets. I would guess 85-90% of the audience pay to hear` the songs so often derided here as war horses.

So lets deal with that, Satisfaction as played today is certainly not the same as even B2B or 40 licks. Beast and I discussed at several shows in eastern Europe, Keith and Ronnie were doing subtle but very noticeable rythmic flourishes we had never heard before; every night it really is a different show. Ok , they are still the "effing warhorses."

But even ignoring the fact that as long as tours are as they have been finances dictate 75 % of the show, why oh why can"t people aknowledge that with each tour THE NUMBER OF VARIOUS SONGS actually played in the remaining slots is growing with every tour. OH Sing Hallowed Praises for the bravery of the short and spotty 78 tour and its boldness at presenting Some Girls. Problem is the reality of that tour was not song variety, the only thing that changed from night to night on that tour was whether the band was on it and hot or sounding like an out of tune high school band in a garage sharing their first quart of tequila.

I am beginning to think some people will not be happy until teh band commits commercial suicide by performing 23 classic blues covers by artists rarely heard of outside the Library of Congress

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 9, 2007 01:59

kahoosier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I am beginning to think some people will not be
> happy until teh band commits commercial suicide by
> performing 23 classic blues covers by artists
> rarely heard of outside the Library of Congress

Commercial suicide???!!!

They're already at retirement age for chrissakes...so what would they have to lose by finally, FOR ONCE in their career, actually taking a chance?

By playing (and trying) something different, they'd actually be gaining a lot of respect and credibility for themselves, instead of eeking out their final years on this planet with a show that is essentially little more beyond that of a childrens pantomime...though much more predicatable.

Safe as f**cking houses...

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: November 9, 2007 02:23

LOL well Barn Owl... Brian, Keith, MT, Ronnie...maybe Mick, Charlie and Bill in his day have felt that getting on any stage on any night with any guitarist the Stones have ever had IS taking a chance. winking smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 9, 2007 03:34

there'd be room for that yes. there'd be room for ALL kinds of performance permutations and live and/or recording projects...

they are all extremely capable and extremely creative and empathetic professional soulful players.
all of them.

i just think mick has his vision of how he wants to project the franchise and that's that. and he's very anal about the way he feels it needs to be protected as well.

a bit restrictive in it's way of course...my total guess is that mick has a proven business model, and they are mostly in the business of selling stadium tickets, so maybe that seems to make best sense in mick's way of thinking; and his success is hard to argue with. i'm just guessing. i dont' know mick and have never spoken with him. i don't think ANYTHING relating to flashing some pix of previous full Stones would hurt attendance at all; quite the contrary; it's part of their great, great incredible history. and they are selling that too.

but if they're gonna have a guest some night, and an actual Rolling Stone was availble; it would be nice i guess...i don't expect it...it would probably take some serious rehearsals or risk being a slopfest, even if they did it...and sadly, i just don't believe they ever will.
that being said, ron's reputed to have quite the re-invigoration as a player these last abb legs; hope he stays well and sharp.

it's also a total wild card as to how mickt's or ron's bass style would merge with the rest of it...keith is on bass on a lot of tracks but i think mickt on only one or so...i haven't heard ron play bass since the second jeff beck album. unless he did something on one of the basics that made it to an album.
i'm not infomred enough to know 'bout that for sure and haven't researched it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-09 07:08 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 9, 2007 15:55

kahoosier Wrote:
> LOL well Barn Owl... Brian, Keith, MT,
> Ronnie...maybe Mick, Charlie and Bill in his day
> have felt that getting on any stage on any night
> with any guitarist the Stones have ever had IS
> taking a chance. winking smiley

You've got me beaten on that one Kahoosier!!!

LOL!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:04

To be honest it aint ever gonna happen so who cares????

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 9, 2007 20:00

Ablett - How the HELL do you know that???

You don't so quit making the statement until either M. Taylor or one of the
Glimmer Twins is DEAD. Then you can make the statement: It's NEVER gonna
happen.

One of these days, the stars might a-line, Jagger might finally soften his
heart and say: Let's do it for old times sake....

MLC

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 9, 2007 22:14

remember on the 75 tour when ron took over bass and bill went to synth. on fingerprint file?

Posted by: artalta ()
Date: November 9, 2007 23:21

In my honest opinion, it's never going to happen but just to play with the idea, why have the two guitarists play the bass as the original bass player's still alive and kicking? As we have seen, there IS room for three guitarists these days: Ronnie could play Keith's parts, Taylor could do his own thing, Keith could... well, be Keith and Blondie could handle the shakers and tambourines and such. If Jagger would ever say "for the old times' sake" - I doubt he will - this could be done on a "one night only" basis, probably in London, and I certainly would spend my life savings on it (although, at present, it wouldn't be enough to buy a ticket to the show).

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: November 10, 2007 16:18

artalta Wrote:
> there IS room for three guitarists these days:
> Ronnie could play Keith's parts, Taylor could do
> his own thing, Keith could... well, be Keith and
> Blondie could handle the shakers and tambourines
> and such.

Ronnie can't/couldn't play Keef's parts.

That's what I don't want when Taylor plays his own thing in a Stones song.(It's Ok with for eg. "Time Waits For No One', but I don't need his 72 rounds (anyway beatiful) solos in other tunes.

If you think (or hear like that) that Blondie covering Keef's parts when playing guitar, I suggest you to listen and watch carefully again and again...

Date: November 10, 2007 20:38

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> pmk sleeps with a Nightlight and a cOpy of the New
> Yorker on his nighTstand. He enjoys a warm glass
> of milk before sleep, and thinks that spending
> friday night watching Fawlty Towers is his idea of
> cutting loose.
>
> But he's a good guy...

What's ee loike foist t'ing in da moaning, m'lord????????????

The addition of Mick T. to the guitar line up would wake this band up and they could get rid of the back up singers. Mick T. has a great voice.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home