Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dartford
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 11, 2007 19:17

Georges Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Timbernardis, for the pics.

Again, thank Dande - she made the trip on one day in August during the O2 shows by the tube (?), then like 4 hours all on foot patiently tracking down each location, and I think just by using a map. She wanted to see more sites but was limited by being on foot. She showed me the fotos that evening or the next at some pub in London.

She just recently put them up on STONESTREFF.DE, the German Stones fan club. All of you should check out the site. I am kind of an honorary member. Well, I am half German blood, but that doesn't really qualify, just their kindness and willingness to accept me which does. Partied at a few shows with Treff members this summer.

I posted on Treff and congratulated her for the deft way in which she wove the fotos together with the story. Then, when I saw this thread on IORR, I suggested to her strongly to post her material here. I simply posted her material with a few edits for sensibility (and mostly got it right, says Dande!) -- that was the extent of my work.

I hope she will be posting again here on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-11 19:21 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 11, 2007 22:35

For the record, in Mick & Keith's day (and mine) the school system worked like this:

Up to 11 everyone in the state school system went to the same primary and junior schools. With Mick's birthday in July and Keith's in December I'm not sure if they'd be in the same class - but there are pictures of them on school outings together so perhaps they were.

At 11 you took your 11-plus examination, which decided your educational future. Mick passed his and went to the Grammar School (= academically oriented education for "bright" children) Keith obviously didn't do so well and went to the Technical School (as described in an earlier post). By this time Mick's family had moved to a bigger house elsewhere in Dartford.

Mick took his O-levels and two A-levels (ie he did well enough to be considered for university education) and finished up attending the LSE.

Keith didn't enjoy the Technical School and after four years he was transferred to the Sidcup Art School.

"The Rolling Stones Off The Record" has the letter that Mick's headmaster wrote to support his university application:

"Michael Philip Jagger has been a pupil at this school since September 1954. His general record has been satisfactory and he passed the General Certificate of Education in seven subjects in the summer of 1959...

In the sixth form he has applied himself well on the whole and has shown a greater intellectual determination than we had expected. He should be successful in each of his three (degree) subjects though he is unlikely to do brilliantly in any of them.

Jagger is a lad of good general character though he has been rather slow to mature. The pleasing quality which is now emerging is that of persistence when he makes up his mind to tackle something. His interests are wide. He has been a member of several School Societies and is a prominent member in Games, being Secretary of our Basketball Club, a member of the First Cricket Eleven and he plays Rugby Footbal for his House. Out of school, he is interested in Camping, Climbing, Canoeing, Music, and he is also a member of the local Historical Association.

Jagger's development now fully justifies me in recommending him for a degree course and I hope you will be able to accept him.

Head Master."

Posted by: Dandelion1812 ()
Date: November 12, 2007 00:16

Thx Green Lady for the information...

I was wrong with the School Names... sorry for that mistake...

They both were at the Wentworth Primary School...right?

Not the Grammar School.

Dande

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2007 00:38

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Some good half hour; I've heard, but I'm sure ya
> get a proper answer from our Londoners.

My train from Dartford to London Victoria tomorrow will take 48 minutes. It can be a little quicker to get to Charing Cross due to it being a better line.

Dartford is actually a good town to live in for commuting to London.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 12, 2007 00:43

Big Al, is this a tube ride, or would I have to
take another train to get to Dartford if I wanted
to visit while I'm in London?
And if it's a tube stop, what zone is it in?

Date: November 12, 2007 00:47

It's well outside the tube zones, you'd have to take a train. Either Charing Cross, London Bridge or Waterloo East are your best bets. There are several different lines to Dartford from the stations mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-12 00:48 by Big Al.

Date: November 12, 2007 01:31

Thanks for the info, Big Al.
Have a safe trip tomorrow.

Date: November 12, 2007 01:33

Edith Grove, when over here use this site

www.nationalrail.co.uk Click on QUICK JOURNEY PLANNER and then you'll be away. You can fine tune your train journeys perfectly. So long as there isn't delays!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-12 01:34 by Big Al.

Date: November 12, 2007 01:42

Thanks again, Big Al!
Got the site saved.
Hopefully, I'll be using it about this time next year.

Date: November 13, 2007 21:34

Can everybody re-post all the posts that were lost in the "great crash" of November 12, 2007?

Thanks

Plexi

Dande

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 13, 2007 22:40

my original, lost post thanked plexi, dande and green lady (for her explanation of the school system). i had been confused because here in the states, grammer school is something you start when you're little (between 4-6, depending on where you live). it sounds strange to be starting that after age 11 (and as an alternative to high school or technical school).

Date: November 14, 2007 03:28

little queenie Wrote:
> my original, lost post thanked plexi, dande and
> green lady (for her explanation of the school
> system). i had been confused because here in the
> states, grammer school is something you start when
> you're little (between 4-6, depending on where you
> live). it sounds strange to be starting that after
> age 11 (and as an alternative to high school or
> technical school).

and I noted that my grammar school went from kindergarten to 8th grade (14 years old).

plexi

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home