Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

DVD footage from '78 tour
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 24, 2007 20:14

Has anyone seen any decent footage from the '78 tour...from Dallas in particular?....anything out there to purchase?

tks

Dave

Re: DVD footage from '78 tour
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 24, 2007 20:36

i have seen decent and not-decent but i really would like to see it all! problem is there aint much...and the stones skipped this tour...when it comes to docu s how come was it to good!?

Date: October 24, 2007 20:41

don't know....i have seen some stuff on youtube, but can't find anything out there as far as a full show...guess it goes back to the same old statement..."OPEN THE VAULTS"

Date: October 24, 2007 20:45

Yeah thats so true....i think the only complete show is New Orleans....its a shame i still dont have it still....but that will chance soon

Date: October 24, 2007 20:54

This year i saw Chicago for the first time and i was so glad !! now i almost play it every weekend...thanks and cheers to E!

Date: October 24, 2007 20:55

nice....there sould be more footage from that period....hopefully they can get their !@#$ together....not too much to ask guys...cmon

Date: October 24, 2007 20:59

If we are lucky they will but after so many years...i have my doubts.....so we should look for...the non-official...i guess...we cant wait forever!

Date: October 24, 2007 21:00

got it...i am searching all the time...let you know if i come across anything good.

Date: October 24, 2007 21:07

okay man...why is it ...that only Sweet little sixteen'' from New orleans is on you tube.....they have to put the whole show there...soon come i hope!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 24, 2007 21:08

There are 5 - 6 songs from Ft. Worth that are pro shot. The quality is good, but I wouldn't say it's excellent.

Date: October 24, 2007 21:13

texas fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are 5 - 6 songs from Ft. Worth that are pro
> shot. The quality is good, but I wouldn't say
> it's excellent.

thats the most famous one...you should see it.

Date: October 24, 2007 21:16

thank you both

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: October 25, 2007 00:10

Both Anaheim and New Orleans are very rough to watch. But I love the '78 tour so they're a must.

Date: October 25, 2007 00:21

had an invite to go and see the july 4th '78 buffalo show and my parents said no....!@#$%^&&*( still having words with them about that

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 25, 2007 00:24

As far as Stones concerts go, Dallas just didn't do much for me. Mick looked like he'd drunk a fifth of whisky and then got shot up w/coke. His eyes are like saucers and he looks bored to death.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 25, 2007 00:45

ANAHEIM?

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: October 25, 2007 06:47

melillo Wrote:
> ANAHEIM?

It's not complete.

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 25, 2007 15:09

texas fan Wrote:
> There are 5 - 6 songs from Ft. Worth that are pro
> shot. The quality is good, but I wouldn't say
> it's excellent.

I have a version on DVD which is overdubbed with the soundboard of that show. The sound is of course excellent and the picture quite good. It's a perfect synchronised mix. You don't see any deviations in picture and sound. The whole show in that quality on DVD would be great. It has always been my favourite tour. When I first heard Garden State in 1978 it blew me away and I thought that would be a much better live album than LYL (with the exception of the El Mocambo side).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 18:33 by django.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 25, 2007 16:20

Hey Rooster, where did you get the Chicago show, please? It was my first so I would love to get a copy!

Date: October 25, 2007 21:14

its three songs only...filmed from far away....i love it but most people wont...to tell you the truth...for me it really gets me going....so i dont know about this...anaheim i dont know about either...is there footage???

Date: October 25, 2007 21:21

Asked it on ''hot stuff'' you will succeed....i still have to send so many things...you know....and those computer things makes me tired...and im tired allready

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:23

YouTube has all the live '78 footage. I think most, if not all, is from Ft. Worth/Houston.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 27, 2007 21:44

Thanks...I'll look for it...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 27, 2007 23:42

I attended this show-front row of balcony.I paid $100 for a $10 seat(still a bargain in 78).Venue was Will Rogers Memorial AUDITORIUM not Center as commonly stated on boots. Seating capacity about 2800! While the band was a little sloppy it still rocked. Mick got booed for saying "Hello Dallas",though. Ft. Worth fans are funny bout that! Still the best 100 dollars I ever spent. Only wish the entire video was available!!!

Date: October 27, 2007 23:47

just wanted to add the ft worth tickets were printed as "The London Green-shoed Cowboys"!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 27, 2007 23:58

Hey thanks for sharing, Scottkeef!
It's a helluva concert, you're a lucky man

Date: October 28, 2007 10:03

scottkeef Wrote:
> just wanted to add the ft worth tickets were
> printed as "The London Green-shoed Cowboys"!!

wow first hand witness.....tell us more

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2007 12:45

scottkeef Wrote:
> just wanted to add the ft worth tickets were
> printed as "The London Green-shoed Cowboys"!!

I think the Atlanta-Fox Theatre show was billed as "The Cockroaches."
Wish I could have been there.

Date: October 28, 2007 21:57

rooster Wrote:
> scottkeef Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > just wanted to add the ft worth tickets were
> > printed as "The London Green-shoed Cowboys"!!
>
> wow first hand witness.....tell us more

well,the venue is on TCU Campus and I had a friend working for the local newspaper and got a heads up on the ticket selling site but still got beat out and had to pay a scalper. Yes, in 78 you had to actually buy the tickets in person!!! Peter tosh(who got booed off the stage) and Doug Kershaw were the opening bands. Supposedly Bill arranged for Kershaw to play. Kershaw put on a helloffa set. Diggy Diggy Lo indeed! He told the crowd He was to play at Billy Bobs Honkytonk that night but when the stones called "what would you do?"

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 28, 2007 22:15

From what I understand, here's the low-down on 1978 Tour footage:

** CIRCULATING FOOTAGE**

FT. WORTH
The only complete, _professionally_ _filmed_ concert was the Ft. Worth one. The first six songs from this film circulate. The rest is deeply vaulted. I know one collector who received a complete film copy from a high-ranking Stones' official at the time (i.e. not a band member)and has transferred it to VHS. The film copy is in seriously decaying condition and would need to be baked (HA!) to be of any use.The 6-song video that circulates is rumored to be from his VHS copy that he gave someone under the condition that he not share it. (See how that works out?)

This concert filming was set up to be a closed-circut broadcast to various theatres across the U.S. -- much like they showed many high profile boxing matches in pre-cable TV days, from what I am told.

For reasons very few outside of the principals involved know, The Stones decided not to go through with the deal. So the film has sat in limbo since. There may also be some payment issues involved with its lack of release as well (i.e. the Stones refused to fork over the cash after the filming, or have money issues with the production company -- who you can see listed in the credits -- and thus it sits.)

NEW ORLEANS
The New Orleans show was videotaped on what looks to be an in-house two camera system. Possibly with band approval, possibly without. Could have been a Bill Graham inside job too, if he was involved in promoting that gig. The circulating videotape is a terribly difficult viewing experience as it contains many 'glitches' and drop outs. The "SB" recording that circulates is taken from the glitchy videotape. As I recall, this "SB" switches between audience and SB. The quality is marginal. The tape may have been purposely made glitchy in order to make it less appealing to share (this is the same with the bootleg 'workprint' copies of the Rock N Roll Circus that circulated for years before the official release - it was purposely rendered semi-useless and 'fingerprinted' in case it was shared, which it was). A brief portion of "Let It Rock" did end up in an NBC-TV news special report on the tour.

CHICAGO
Portions of the Chicago show were filmed by network TV in the U.S. (Probably NBC). The raw footage, that circulates, is apporx. 15 - 20 min., shot from a distance (possibly near the top of Soldier's Field, at about the 20-30 yard-line) with several tight zooms. The songs include: "Let It Rock," "Miss You," "Jumping Jack Flash," and "Satisfaction." All are incomplete. The footage later turned up in various news reports about the Stones tour. This footage has circulated for many years and can be found in decent quality. Additional, extremely brief professional footage from backstage and throughout the day can be seen in the PBS Centerstage special on the band Journey, who opened the show, and were filmed in performance by PBS on July 9.

TUSCON
Brief portions of this show were filmed for local/national television coverage. "Tumbling Dice," with Linda Rondstat, is included in the footage, along with "Happy" and one or two others. I have never seen the raw footage in circulation, but a few of the news reports containing it have circulated for many years, in multi-generation quality.

ANAHEIM
There are two short, choppy silent films taken from the Anaheim shows, I'm not sure which is which show -- but the shoe-throwing incident is captured on at least one of them. Both are super-8 private/amateur films. One of them has the sound from the KBFH dubbed over it. They are short (4 - 8 min) and have circulated widely.

Additionally, there is some professional footage from one of the Anaheim shows used during a MJ interview for U.S. TV.

**RUMORED FOOTAGE**

ATLANTA
There is reported to be a private film of part or all of this show. I have only seen it listed one time on a trader's list, who also had the Ft. Worth footage, so I presume this person knew it was different footage.

Most probably the Ft. Worth footage has been mis-labelled as Atlanta somewhere along the way. Anyone have any additional information?

MEMPHIS & LEXINGTON
Professional films of these shows are reported to exist. However, this may be confused with the footage shot for the Norman Gunston interviews (excerpts were seen in "Video Rewind"). The Gunston footage is reported to include him roaming the crowds during one of these shows and actually approaching the stage at one point. Beyond the "Rewind" footage, there is a copy of Gunston's interview with MJ in a hotel room in circulation -- which is also on YouTube. Any other evidence of professionally shot footage of either of these shows has eluded my radar in the last 22 years.

HOUSTON
Another rumored professionally shot film. I have never heard of any authentic Houston footage being in circulation, or existing. beyond the potential mis-labelling of the Ft. Worth footage once again.

ANAHEIM and/or OAKLAND
A professional film of the Oakland show is rumored to exist. This, and possibly the Anaheim shows, most-probably stem from Bill Graham filming the show/s for his own pirvate archives. I have never seen or heard of any of this footage existing outside Graham's private stash. I am aware that Graham's archives suffered a major fire at one point and he lost much of the footage he had stored (including film of the Oakland 1969 shows FYI). I am unsure if the fire occurred before or after the 1978 tour though.

PASSAIC
There are, apparently, local news reports that contain portions of "Honky Tonk Women" and "When The Whip Comes Down" from this show. I have never seen them, nor have I seen them in circulation. I'm fairly certain they exist.

As far as I know, or have seen, or have learned, that's it for 1978. I am sure there are several local news outlets that filmed 1-3 songs for their local news reports, but niether the broadcasts or the raw footage have escaped as far as I know.

There is about 15 min. of hand-held, news footage from the Oshawa C.N.I.B Benefit concerts that includes several incomplete New Barbarians and Stones songs (including Prodigal Son and @#$%&) that also circulates widely in near-excellent quality.

Obviously, anyone with proven evidence of any other footage, or additional, proven, information about the rumored footage above, is welcome to offer it up!

J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home