Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Bill Wyman on The Stones
Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 2, 2007 20:50

Glad Bill is happy doing his own thing, but I've seen the Rhythm Kings, and once is enough.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 2, 2007 21:27

Liked their first album very much. They were playing a little rough on that one. Later with the blues-jazz-soul thing. I'm really not interested. Great guitarpicking by Albert King though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 2, 2007 21:56

I love blues, r&b, early rock 'n' roll - the stuff Bill plays these days - but as competent, no as superb a musician as Bill is (and those he has on his RK records are), the music is fairly lifeless (on CD that is, I've never seen them live), too clean and sterile. Do I need his version of Green River, Spooky, or toothless takes on old classics lacking in any heat or menace? I actually prefer "Monkey Grip" and "Stone Alone", which at least have Bill's songs, and 'Peanut Butter Time', Monkey Grip Glue,' 'Pussy' 'etc are frequently charming and droll, funny and infectious, yet still influenced by the range of styles he loves and again performed with terrific musicians (Van Morrison, Lowell George, Dr John, Betty Wright, Nicky Hopkins etc). In fact "Stone Alone", whatever you feel about it, isn't so different from "Black & Blue" from the same year, in terms of its exploration of black music styles (dance/funk, blues, early 60s r&b, and instead of Fats Waller/'Melody' Bill's Louis Armstrong homage)...
As far as tuyrning on the young, Bill's "Blues Odyssey" book and dvd and CD, which are very good, seem more likely to spark that interest than his RK records. And his bitchy (passive aggressive) comments to the press re the Stones started a long time before he left the band.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 6, 2007 19:46

I just listened to the BBC interview with Bill (link provided above). It is great. Good questions, great stories. Very witty. Very enjoyable.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:42

I saw the RStones live in '73 and they sounded great.I saw them live in '76,and they were awfull.The Stones should have quit in '76.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 21, 2007 16:26

Nah, the Stones shouldn't have quit in '76, you should have just stopped wasting your time on a band that no longer meant anything to you and found one you liked better. Most people here think highly of the Taylor years, but if you're going to blast everything since December 1974, you're probably just going to find endless arguments and unfortunate insults coming your way. Like those that think the band should have died at the bottom of a swimming pool in 1969, you're probably better off looking for a site that doesn't embrace the band's entire history. Just my opinion, stick around and find out for yourself.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 21, 2007 16:31

Out of time music? Doesn't he ever look at his own setlists?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 21, 2007 16:36

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

In fact "Stone Alone",
> whatever you feel about it, isn't so different
> from "Black & Blue" from the same year, in terms
> of its exploration of black music styles
> (dance/funk, blues, early 60s r&b, and instead of
> Fats Waller/'Melody' Bill's Louis Armstrong
> homage)...

I like to hear that one--Bill's song, "No More Foolin'" covered by the Stones--(or at least sung by Mick)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 21, 2007 19:18

MTFan Wrote:
> I saw the RStones live in '73 and they sounded
> great.I saw them live in '76,and they were
> awfull.The Stones should have quit in '76.

that may be the most silly thing i have ever heard or read on this board, i will give you the benefit of the doubt and hope your just joking

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: November 21, 2007 19:34

melillo Wrote:
> MTFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I saw the RStones live in '73 and they sounded
> > great.I saw them live in '76,and they were
> > awfull.The Stones should have quit in '76.
>
>
> that may be the most silly thing i have ever heard
> or read on this board, i will give you the benefit
> of the doubt and hope your just joking

I don't think he is, sadly. Look at his handle.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 21, 2007 19:37

MTFan Wrote:
> awfull.The Stones should have quit in '76.

Nah....

Date: November 21, 2007 23:28

A reporter asked Bill Wyman;What's the difference between being a member of the Stones and now?"
The answer: "15.000.000 dollar"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2007 23:38

I think Bill's problem is his Perk(s).

By the way do you know what Bill (Bil) means in Dutch Butt........

Date: November 22, 2007 00:00

Yes: Rekening.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 22, 2007 00:04

MTFan Wrote:
> awfull.The Stones should have quit in '76

..and you've never seen or heard them since then I suppose....

They were @#$%& terrible at Hyde Park in 1969. I suppose by that yardstick they should have sacked Taylor on the spot and promptly disbanded?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-22 00:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: November 22, 2007 00:15

Maybe he's ticked off cause the best bass lines on Stones songs are by other musicans. This guy couldn't swing or get through a song live without messing up. Thank God for DJ!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 22, 2007 01:34

My Stones Wrote:
> This guy
> couldn't swing

theres so many things that I disagree with about your post, but this is the one that really sticks out.

Date: December 31, 2007 00:56

My Stones Wrote:
> Maybe he's ticked off cause the best bass lines on
> Stones songs are by other musicans. This guy
> couldn't swing or get through a song live without
> messing up. Thank God for DJ!

I always thought Bill Wyman @#$%& up when he played baass on "torned&frayed"
till I found out someone else played there.

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: December 31, 2007 07:03

"Maybe he's ticked off cause the best bass lines on Stones songs are by other musicans. This guy couldn't swing or get through a song live without messing up. Thank God for DJ"

that must be the dumbest post ever on this site. Bill was AMAZING live. their sound today pales in comparison to the wyman years. DJ is not a good fit for the stones. he is ok, but not Bill.. but to suggest Bill was this bad is just plain stupid.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 31, 2007 07:48

>Bill was AMAZING live

It seems to me he was better in concert than on record. I suspect given the band's recording style reputation he frequently got bored. But in concert, in the moment, he proved his mettle.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 31, 2007 08:29

My Stones Wrote:
> Maybe he's ticked off cause the best bass lines on
> Stones songs are by other musicans. This guy
> couldn't swing or get through a song live without
> messing up. Thank God for DJ!

Someone please close this topic.

Date: January 28, 2008 19:46

I think Bill Wyman is the only Stone with a rather grown up look towards the RS,together with MT..

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 28, 2008 20:00

My Stones
Maybe he's ticked off cause the best bass lines on Stones songs are by other musicans. This guy couldn't swing or get through a song live without messing up. Thank God for DJ!

Lol, right

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 28, 2008 20:01

Svartmer
But why does he reduce the Stones all the time? He quit, fine. Let them be.

I think they will survive. It's usually people around the Stones who dont.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 28, 2008 21:37

My Stones

This kind of obtuse ignorance and denial epitomizes the haters and artistically lost hypocrits who would diss a brilliant player on the basis of intentionally distorting press, which is usually already distorted in the first place.

imo, disturbed lemmings running off the cliff of sanity with a pile-on mentality. Haters, not lovers, of The Rolling Stones incredible catalog of incredible music with the most brilliant organic chemistry.

Wyman was solid as a rock for decades, and in a brilliantly original way that is a huge part of their sound on all the most important and wondrous stuff that made them famous and important and unbeatable.

To even have to state that here shows how some destructive and misleading we can be here on the premiere fan site...

... and when bill retired from the band, & finally took time to start and enjoy his home & family and other interests, he gets consistently slammed and his wry, open and often sweet commentary gets scorned.

I guess his happiness just kills some people, who should be grateful and astute enough to understand his contribution musically, for some reason. don't they play Rolling Stones albums? It took that particular 5 (6 with Stu) and for "fans" not to get that, is hopeless.

sick doings these consistent and unfair, impotent continual attacks on wyman.
There will never be another rhythm section in rock and roll music as powerful as charlie, keith and bill. Ever.
(Tho if they hired a rock and roll bass player with boogie roots it would be a great, fantastically exciting & inspiring thing for them.)

the recent sales numbers on 'rolled gold' continues to prove that the general public knows what's great about Stones music. they feel it organically, even if they don't know the endless trivia that delights and informs us...and imo are more intuitively musically astute than a lot of the supposed big 'fans,' who cannot seem to stop talking jealous, distorted syncophatic crapola.

The music is sublime. Thank you for hanging in so long Bill.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 28, 2008 23:33

My Stones

I'd like to know your definition of "swing". I mean nearly everybody knows the term, but do you know what it means?

I thank God (nearly) every day, but not for DJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-28 23:33 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 29, 2008 05:25

cool 6 part interview with bill. pretty recent. I've just heard part 4 where he talks about his current relationship with the guys; very funny stuff about his phone calls from Charlie etc... and some cool stories about the old days too.

it's really good to hear it straight from bill without all the weird politics and hype that sometimes goes on about him in the papers and even here on iorr.
gonna go back and listen to the other parts but wanted to share this link.
recorded live on radio but there is video of all of it right here...

he looks and sounds fresh and great and very youthful for his age. cool stuff. direct from the source. this link will take you right to Part 4. enjoy.

[www.billwyman.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-29 05:38 by Beelyboy.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home