Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Any love here for Jerry Lee Lewis?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2007 23:05

ROCKMAN

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 4, 2007 23:06

MLC - man can you make any posts without insulting people and starting fights. Wow. Everyone has a brain, but brains have opinions as well.

About the Killer, I think its funny in the movie Walk the Line to watch the actor who plays him. Seems like Jerry had the long hair thing going before anyone else. Great pics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-05 05:00 by J-J-Flash.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 4, 2007 23:43

tigerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Erik there is a dvd from the toronto peace
> festival with the full lennon show and 1 song from
> the rest its called sweet toronto
>
> but there is also seperate releases on dvd with
> the full chuck berry,jerry lee lewis and little
> richard shows not sure about the bo didley show
>
> the jerry lee part has been released on dvd´s
> like the story of rockandroll and a dvd called
> on fire.
>
> the chuck berry show on a dvd called Rockandroll
> music.
>
> and the little richard show on a dvd called keep
> on rockin.
>
> all from a company called Gravity

Tigerman, didn't see your post before now - thanks!
I recorded the Jerry Lee show from TV in 1991...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 4, 2007 23:58

Rockman Wrote:
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%205/KILL19.jpg

Thats the album !!! I meant!! I just knew you had it! Cheers!

Posted by: tigerman ()
Date: October 5, 2007 16:54

The Killers mug shoots from that infamous night at the graceland gates

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 5, 2007 17:04

What exactly happened at the Graceland gates?

Date: October 5, 2007 17:15

listing here Chuck -I now that you wrote johnny b good ,little queenie,memphis teennesee and all those other songs But I am The Killer so I close the goddam show you hear,or im gonna set the f.... piana on fire again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-05 17:17 by tigerman.

Date: October 5, 2007 17:16

Chuck and jerry in a more happy moment

Date: October 5, 2007 17:26

Hi Edith Grove this is on side of the story,I now there is lots more out there

The much publicized pistol-waving episode outside Gracelands before Elvis died in 1977 was a misunderstanding and press hype – Jerry and Elvis were great friends and he had been invited over to Gracelands. A pistol on the dashboard of Jerry’s car had been given to him earlier that evening as a present, and when the security on the Gracelands gates saw the pistol and asked Jerry if he’d come to shoot Elvis, Jerry just joked: ‘Sure I have.’ This led to the arrest and the subsequent press stories.

here is another one
JERRY LEE LEWIS is clearing up rumours about his wild way urban legends and admits he did crash into ELVIS PRESLEY’s gates at Graceland.
his drunken collision with the Graceland gate is all true.
He tells men’s magazine Blender, "I was drinking champagne and feeling no pain. I got in the car and went up there and I accidentally ran into the gate.
I bumped the gate.
"Then there were cops all around - they said, `Did you come up here to hurt Elvis?’ I said, `Well, what else would I come up here for, but to hurt him?’ "Anybody that stupid deserves a stupid answer."

Date: October 5, 2007 17:31

And here is a little more jerry lee stories .

The 1970s did not bring any peace to Jerry Lee Lewis. Myra filed for divorce in 1970. She testified in court that their marriage had been a nightmare. Not only had she caught him cheating on her, but he also cuffed her around and in 13 years of marriage had spent only three evenings alone with her. He had accused her of adultery, beat her, and even implied that their son’s drowning death was a punishment for her sins. That year Jerry Lee tried religion briefly, went back to church, and vowed to stop playing in nightclubs; but his newfound spirituality didn’t last. Myra’s divorce was granted in May 1971. That October, he married his fourth wife, a 29-year-old Memphis woman named Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate. They separated after only two weeks and spent more time apart than together during their stormy marriage. They had a daughter only six months after their wedding. Jaren filed for divorce at least three times, charging him with “cruel and inhuman treatment, adultery, habitual drunkenness, and habitual use of drugs.” Shortly before the divorce settlement in 1982, she drowned in a swimming pool under mysterious circumstances. Jerry’s sister Linda Gail says she took an overdose of drugs. In 1973, Jerry Lee’s first son, Jerry Lee, Jr., was killed in an automobile crash while driving the jeep his father had given him for his 19th birthday. Jerry Lee, Jr. had spent part of that year in a psychiatric institution possibly because of the effects of marijuana usage. He even thought he was his father and walked around saying, “I’m the Killer! I’m the great Jerry Lee Lewis.” (A few weeks before his death, Jerry Lee, Jr., made a profession of faith in Christ at a revival meeting.)

Charlie “Red Man” Freeman, the guitarist for Jerry Lee Lewis, died at age 31. Lewis’s drummer, Robert “Tarp” Tarrant, had a nervous breakdown when he was only 22 because of his heavy drinking and drug abuse.

In 1973, Lewis jabbed the editor of Country Music magazine in the neck with a broken bottle when he took offense at one of the interviewer’s questions (Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock, p. 85). In 1974, he smashed a fan in the face with a whiskey bottle and “cut the guy’s face all up to pieces.” In 1975, Jerry Lee shot 25 holes through his office door with a .45 semi-automatic handgun. Jerry Lee was particularly out of control in 1976. In September, he shot his bass player, Norman Owens, in the chest with a .357 magnum handgun in a drunken fit of anger. Owens survived, and Lewis lamely said it was an accident. A week later Lewis was arrested at his home for disorderly conduct. He had been shouting obscenities at his neighbors. In November of 1976 he drove to the gate of Elvis Presley’s Graceland, brandished a .38-caliber derringer, and drunkenly told the security guard he was there to kill Elvis. Twenty-four hours earlier Lewis had overturned his $46,000 Rolls-Royce and was charged with reckless driving, driving while intoxicated, and driving without a license. In 1979, Lewis got into a fight onstage with a fan in Australia and suffered fractured ribs. The tour was cancelled. Also in 1979 the IRS confiscated his expensive cars for nonpayment of taxes.

The 1980s brought more of the same. In 1981, Lewis almost died when he had to be rushed to the hospital for massive stomach surgery. In 1983, about a year after his fourth wife drowned in the swimming pool, Jerry Lee married his fifth wife, 25-year-old Shawn Michelle Stephens. Less than three months after the wedding she was found dead in their home. After a superficial investigation, the death was ruled a suicide by overdose of methadone pills and Lewis was not charged with foul play, though Shawn Michelle was found lying in their bed in a bruised condition with blood on her body and under her fingernails. There were also “the permeation of fresh, small bloodstains around Lewis’ Mississippi home.” A few months later, the 49-year-old Jerry Lee married his sixth wife, 22-year-old Kerrie Lynn McCarver. She filed for divorce in 1986, but they were reconciled the next year and she gave birth to Jerry Lee Lewis III. In 1988, Lewis filed bankruptcy, listing more than $3 million in debts.

Lewis has abused drugs and alcohol like a wild man and was undergone treatment for addiction to painkillers. He claims to have spent $500,000 on the drug Demerol. In the early 1960s Lewis and his band were arrested at a motel in Texas and charged with possession of seven hundred amphetamine capsules. In March 1976, federal narcotics agents confiscated “a substantial amount of drugs” from Jerry Lee’s private plane. In 1979, he was busted again by federal agents for possession of cocaine and marijuana.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 5, 2007 18:23

The Killer is the best of all the Sun players. Great musical range. Just picked up a 3 LP Vinyl rarities set of his from Charly records.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 5, 2007 19:11

I own the 4 LP Boxes of his Sun and Mercury/Smash work. Also the records up till now

Date: October 5, 2007 23:40

Classic boot of Killer material...

Two early 1954 pre-Sun recordings...X-Rated
Whole Lotta Shakin'.....Amazing gospel medley
of I'm Using My Bible As A Road Map and I Long To See Jesus....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2007 00:04

Yeah thats a great collection of pure killers Rockman

Date: October 6, 2007 00:16

Don't walk past this one either...

Fly on the wall stuff showing the ease of how
The Killer can just roll into any song and brand it his own...Classic but not too sure about that jumper...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2007 11:35

Yeah thats a great one 2 Rockman,love to listing to this kind of jerry lee stuff

ive just recieved in the mail to day a package with some great Jerry lee soundboards,im listening right now to a show in hammersmith 16 april 1983

Date: October 6, 2007 11:46

Sounds good tigerman....Ya have some good tastes there....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2007 11:55

the same do you Rockman ,the same do you

Date: October 6, 2007 12:05

Jerry ,Ron Wood and the great late Carl Perkins.
from the video to birth of Rock&Roll

Date: October 6, 2007 12:07

Jerry and the great late George Harrison at Carl perkins funeral

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 6, 2007 12:13

Hey Tigerman, that car photo with Ronnie and Perkins - what a gang, thanks

Date: October 6, 2007 12:16

Yeah what a gang.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 6, 2007 22:25

tigerman Wrote:
> [i163.photobucket.com]
> /21b.jpg
>
> Jerry and the great late George Harrison at Carl
> perkins funeral

My My Thank you!!!

Date: October 9, 2007 03:15

The Killer with Ronnie Spector......Check ya trousers Killer....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 9, 2007 03:18

Great one Rock! Thanks!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 9, 2007 03:30

Rockman Wrote:
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%205/KILL11.jpg
>
> The Boss...Joe Ely and The Killer - Dublin June
> 1993

I was at that show. Never saw that pic before! many thanks! (Its actually May 1993, but thats a minor detail)

Springsteen had guested at Ely's show the night before (playing 3 songs including one Ely had written for The Killer called "I Keep My Fingernails Long So They Click When I Play The Piano). Lewis was living in Dublin at this time.

Next night, Bruce returned the compliment at his own gig in front of 35,000 people, shunning the much better known Jon Bon Jovi who was standing at the side of the stage (hooray!) and instead bringing Ely out to duet on 'Settle for Love' (with Bruce telling the crowd to go out and buy his new album "Love & Danger" - which I did the next day and have been a fan ever since). About 20 minutes later - in a show that had already been running for about three hours, a roadie brings out a keyboard and sets it midstage, causing the audience to wonder what was going on. Bruce then makes some brief introduction about what a great honour it is to have as his special guest "the great Jerry Lee Lewis" and on strides the Ferriday Fireball himself to bring the house down with 'Great Balls of Fire' and 'Whole lotta shakin' goin' on'. He just takes over the show, and Bruce is quite happy to let him do so, playing along with a shiteating "I've just played with one of my heroes" grin on his face. A fantastic night.

Date: October 9, 2007 03:41

Damn fine memories there Gazza....thanks for sharing...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 9, 2007 03:42

ROCKMAN

Date: October 9, 2007 13:36

The Killer & Myra.............circa 1958....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 28, 2008 23:47

Another year for the Killer! He turns 73 on Monday.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home