Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What's your favorite book of all time?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 11, 2007 12:51

I like Creek Mary s Blood from Dee Brown very much..everyone should read it.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:27

Bingo
Bonfire of the Vanities
I refused to see the movie, if you read the book, you knew immediately after they picked the cast, it was going to be a flop.

This would be a GREAT movie if they picked the right cast.

Mick was originally considered for the part of Peter Fallow, the tightfisted, dissipated British journalist. Mick told US Magazine, "I want that part. I think I could do it better than anyone else." But instead they went with Bruce Willis (and he played the American that he is, which wrecked the whole part.)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:31

Dune. One of the most fascinating Science fiction character studies ever written. A complex story with religious, environmental, and political themes in an alternate world setting. Wonderfully written by Frank Herbert.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:35

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:45

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:36

Anna Karenina by Count Lyev Nikolayevich Tolstoy

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:20

Journey to the End of the Night (Voyage au bout de la nuit) - L.F. Céline

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:25

lsbz

hey I was about to mention this one!
so let me add "Letters to a Young Poet" by Rainer Maria Rilke. About as life-changing as Céline's book.

Books I've read over and over
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:38

A Rebours---J-K Huysmans
Vanity Fair---W M Thackeray
The House of Mirth---Edith Wharton
Myron---Gore Vidal
Alice in Wonderland---Lewis Carroll
To the Lighthouse, Orlando, The Waves, and Mrs Dalloway---Virginia Woolf
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones---Tony Sanchez
Dreamers of Decadence---Philippe Julian
The Alexandria Quartet---Lawrence Durrell

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 13:35 by Bliss.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:40

dcba
lsbz

I'm sorry. Céline is about as rock&roll as one can write, I suppose. He should have had the Nobel prize for literature in a real world.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:56

Chronicles by Bob Dylan

2 1 2 0

Date: January 25, 2011 13:16

lsbz
dcba
lsbz

I'm sorry. Céline is about as rock&roll as one can write, I suppose. He should have had the Nobel prize for literature in a real world.

During the development of Nazi Germany, he wrote three cynical and viciously antisemitic books: Bagatelles pour un massacre (Trifles for a Massacre) (1937), L'École des cadavres (The School of Corpses) (1938) and Les Beaux draps (The Fine Mess) (1941), the last one published during the occupation of France. Céline fled France during liberation, and joined the last remnants of the Vichy government in Sigmaringen
Although Céline's political ideals appeared to have had much in common with the Nazis, he was publicly critical of Adolf @#$%& whom he called a "Jew".His fascist views are evident in L'Ecole des cadavres where he calls for a Franco-German alliance in order to counter the alliance between British intelligence and "the international Jewish conspiracy"
After the Vichy regime fell in 1944, Céline escaped judgment by fleeing to Sigmaringen, Germany, accompanying the Vichy Chief of State Marshal Philippe Pétain, and President Pierre Laval. For a brief time Céline acted as Laval's personal physician. A fictional account of this period can be found in Céline’s novel "D'un château l'autre" (Castle to Castle), published in 1960.
After the end of the Nazi government Céline subsequently fled to Denmark (1945). Named a collaborator, he was convicted in absentia (1950) in France, sentenced to one year of imprisonment and declared a national disgrace. He was subsequently granted amnesty and returned to France during 1951.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe in your world anti- Semitism and collaborationism is pardonable weakness, and for it it's necessary to award a Nobel Prize (for the Peace, I guess?). Being Jewish I can't agree with you.
As for rock&roll - nobody is as far from it as Celine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 13:22 by proudmary.

Date: January 25, 2011 13:38

proudmary
lsbz
dcba
lsbz

During the development of Nazi Germany, he wrote three cynical and viciously antisemitic books: Bagatelles pour un massacre (Trifles for a Massacre) (1937), L'École des cadavres (The School of Corpses) (1938) and Les Beaux draps (The Fine Mess) (1941), the last one published during the occupation of France. Céline fled France during liberation, and joined the last remnants of the Vichy government in Sigmaringen.

Céline wrote, I think in a foreword, that although he was attacked for the Bagatelles, people really hated him for the Voyage, and I think that is probably true. They don't want a real rebel in the establishment.

proudmary
Maybe in your world anti- Semitism and collaborationism is pardonable weakness, and for it it's necessary to award a Nobel Prize (for the Peace, I guess?). Being Jewish I can't agree with you.

In my opinion political views have nothing to do with the quality of what you write. And Céline attacked many (groups of) people; I think it should be regarded as part of his artistic style to some degree.

proudmary
As for rock&roll - nobody is as far from it as Celine

His work is about real life and male/female relationships in plain language. I think he's a very romantic writer. Good rock&roll is about that too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 14:10 by lsbz.

Date: January 25, 2011 13:59

The Holy Bible

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 25, 2011 14:03

There are several books that I like a lot but I always go back to Joseph Conrad "Heart of Darkness" when I have to picked up the One. Don't forget that Joseph Conrad In Lord Jim ( 1899) wrote that Jim was "an eccentric rolling Stone".
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: January 25, 2011 14:07

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 14:07 by lsbz.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 25, 2011 14:07

Catch-22-Joseph Heller and A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: January 25, 2011 15:34

Infinite Jest.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 25, 2011 15:42

Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer

Thomas Jefferson And His Time by Dumas Malone (6 volumes)

Admiral Of The Ocean Sea: Christoper Columbus by Samuel Eliot Morison

Washington's Secret War by Thomas Fleming

H.H. Richardson Complete Architectural Works by Jeffrey Karl Oshsner

I am a history reader and I try to avoid fiction unless its a masterpiece works. I feel reading fiction is a waste of time IMO. But it makes good storytelling and interesting writing styles. I only buy hard covers and will never purchase a kindle.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:14

- History of My Life by Giacomo Casanova (a very interesting description of the XVIII. Century Europe)
- Jesus of Nazareth - by Pope Benedict XVI
- Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky (I am also a Dostoevsky fan and this is my favourite)
- Poems by Attila József (great Hungarian poet)
- Descriptio Hungariae by Tibor Szathmáry (History of Hungarian Cartography in the 16th century)
- The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:46

1. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
2. The Glass Key by Dashiell Hammett
3. The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
5. The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer
6. Frankenstein, or: The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley
7. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
8. The History of Christendom by Warren H. Carroll
9. The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10.The Bible of the World by various

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 25, 2011 17:11

"He should have had the Nobel prize for literature in a real world"

Alas Céline turned into sth ugly after a brief period of greatness. I refer to the 3 awfully racist "books" he wrote between 37 and 41. He narrowly escaped death penaly after WWII so the Nobel was simply unimaginable...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 17:11 by dcba.

Date: January 25, 2011 17:20

dcba
"He should have had the Nobel prize for literature in a real world"

Alas Céline turned into sth ugly after a brief period of greatness. I refer to the 3 awfully racist "books" he wrote between 37 and 41. He narrowly escaped death penaly after WWII so the Nobel was simply unimaginable...

proudmary mentioned that too, and I replied to that. AFAIAC, they could have tried him for racism but still have given him the Nobel prize for literature. Those two are only connected in a phony, political world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 17:40 by lsbz.

Posted by: RITA ()
Date: January 25, 2011 17:36

All the books of Ken Follett cool smiley I also like Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte.
The Master and Margherita was a great surprise. Now I'm reading La Coscienza di Zeno (Italo Svevo).

Date: January 25, 2011 18:10

His work is about real life and male/female relationships in plain language. I think he's a very romantic writer. Good rock&roll is about that too.

I don't agreee with you about Celine, but Bukowski is ideally suited under your definition

Women by Charles Bukowski is rock&roll for real

Date: January 25, 2011 18:21

proudmary

I don't agreee with you about Celine, but Bukowski is ideally suited under your definition

Women by Charles Bukowski is rock&roll for real

Possibly, but I think I have a somewhat different taste in literature and I think one has to keep a line somewhere to stay interesting. Bukowski is crossing it too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-25 18:24 by lsbz.

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 25, 2011 18:36

The two best ROCK books ever written are The Dark Stuff and Apathy For The Devil, both by Nick Kent and each with a substantial coverage of the Stones.

In fact I would not be too surprised if I were to discover that Keith's latest tome was built upon much of Nick Kent's coverage of the Stones in the 60s and 70s.

Kent's is written far better, mind.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home