Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

did keith use gibson flying v on any studio or live officially realised song?
Posted by: Borna ()
Date: January 23, 2007 11:33

I know that he had played it live, what about studio?

Re: did keith use gibson flying v on any studio or live officially realised song?
Posted by: malcolm ()
Date: January 23, 2007 11:58

Hi Borna,
I've seen photo shots at Nellcote with the flying V in the basement room but I don't know if it was used during these sessions. I guess it was then stolen ...
ciao
colditalianpizza

Re: did keith use gibson flying v on any studio or live officially realised song?
Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: January 23, 2007 17:00

That guitar was around for a few years so it might have been used in the studio maybe someone knows for sure.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 23, 2007 17:09

I think J. Geils stole it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 23, 2007 18:07

Maybe, but not very likely, as the only pictures of the Flying V in a studio are from Nellcote, and there are hardly any guitars on Exile recorded at Nellcote except for some open G rythm tracks, mainly played on Tele's. About all guitars were recorded at Sunset Sound in L.A.

Mathijs

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: January 23, 2007 21:13

I would like to hear clean sound of flying v, not the sound with overdrives, effect pedals processors... Just clean guitar sound, for example plugged in fender twin amp or fender bassman. What recording (in all music) do you reccomend?

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: January 24, 2007 00:23

Mathijs-Interesting comments about recording at Nelcote. I thought a lot of recording was done there ..overdubs later in LA. Were the sessions in Nelcote just for the demos?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 24, 2007 00:37

I can't imagine anyone choosing to use a Flying V to record! They are a pain in the arse, don't sound particularly good in any way. IMO are used for visual reasons, i.e. Live. And even there are debatable. Flying V, Firebird, Fender Jaguar...some of the weaker models out there IMO.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 24, 2007 00:56

chrismusic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mathijs-Interesting comments about recording at
> Nelcote. I thought a lot of recording was done
> there ..overdubs later in LA. Were the sessions
> in Nelcote just for the demos?

There is another thread discussing what was recorded at Nellcote. But basically, Exile was recorded 50% in LA, spring 1970, 30% is from Stargroves and Olympic, and the remaining 20% is Nellcote. In general, there's about 5 or 6 songs that have the very basics (drums, maybe a rythm guitar) recorded at Nellcote.

About the Flying V: they don't sound all that good actually. The problem is: the most important spot on any guitar is the area behind the bridge -this is where the vibrating strings are amplified by the vibrating wood. With the Flying V, they chopped all this wood away, so there's nothing to vibrate. Flying V's are for visuals, and original V's are rare and expensive, so it's a nice show off method.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home