Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Promo videos of the '60s and '70s
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 10, 2006 22:55

I've been wondering for quite a while... All those promo videos they did in the '60s and '70s, long before the days of MTV -- where were they actually showed? Like the one with the court play for We Love You, or the famous Jumping Jack Flash video. Did they show 'em on TV back in those days? If so, in what context?

And another question -- what the hell happened to all the imaginative video ideas of the mid-late '60s? Like the weird Child of the Moon, the aforementioned We Love You, the spook-psychedelia of 2000 Light Years From Home, etc. Suddenly, by the mid-70's they were all just on-stage singback in cheesy clothes with the occasional prop, like that penis-like balloon thing on the IORR promos. The idea with the bubbles in the tent and the punky Respectable video shows some kind of experiments, but still they're just half-assed -- admittedly funny -- Top Of The Pops-imitations to me.

Third -- why no promo videos for anything from 1969-72? (Not that I'd want to see Tumbling Dice spoiled by ugly makeup and silly props).

Re: Promo videos of the '60s and '70s
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 10, 2006 23:04

The penis was never in a promor was it?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 10, 2006 23:11

I thought that Brown Sugar clip was Top Of the Pops. Maybe the Goats Head Soup and subsequent videos were too?

They didn't use the actual penis, but some kind of large cloths with air flows and crap.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 11, 2006 09:24

in the US there were music shows like Hulaballoo, Shindig, American Bandstand and Soul Train -
those were national, but there were local/regional ones as well.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 11, 2006 10:16

Yeah true, they filled that tent up. TOTP, not promo. I know. No real promo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home