Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OK how about most despised Stones song...
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 14, 2006 19:07

Arrrrggghhh...

How could the band that came up with "Gimme Shelter," "No Expectations," "Sweet Black Angel" and a milllion other classics release:

"Rock And A Hard Place"
"Back To Zero"
"I Go Wild"
"Highwire"
"Can't Be Seen"
"Look What The Cat Dragged In"
"Sweet NeoCon"
"Dangerous Beauty"

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:02

Can't believe JJFrash is the only other person to have mentioned my most hated Stones song.

I hate everything about it, too. The stupid, punny lyrics. The squishy guitars. The God-awful, Vegas-style, cheesy horns.

That would be Brand New Car.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:40

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DrPete,
> OK I sense a bit of sarcasm in that response. lol

Sorry Voo, but Shattered and "live' MR (especially 71-72 versions) are 2 of my Favorites. Angie does wear thin but do love Beast also. Personally I never liked Waiting on a Friend, Rock&Hard Place, and half of Dirty Work

Posted by: dbb ()
Date: September 14, 2006 22:34

Sweethearts Together.

Maybe not a terrible song, but not a song
I want to hear by the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 15, 2006 00:59

It's Only Rock n' Roll!

The track accompanying the video is light years better (Ditto with Angie).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2006 01:55

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> > To Gazza - both of us have always loathed "Hold
> Back". That's funny about the engineer still
> trying to locate the tune... Anyway, I made a
> point to listen to the song as if I had no
> preconceptions; just faked it until it worked. The
> guitars are strong. I just gave up on the tune,
> just went for the attack. Jagger's words are
> terible, but it is really just a couple lines that
> ruin it.

I know it may be a lot to ask and could cause some discomfort, but please listen again and concentrate on a) the vocals and b) the drumming. It's vile.

I'm absolutely dumbstruck at how anyone can name Midnight Rambler as the worst song the band ever recorded (yet in the next breath describe 'Hold Back' as 'great')

Makes me wonder what made people Stones fans to begin with? Did they enter a contest to become one by sending away three cornflakes packets or something? Quite bizarre. Takes all sorts, I guess.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 15, 2006 02:09

Back To Zero, Hold Back, Indian Girl, Sex Drive and I Go Wild have all been mentioned and I agree that they are at the bottom of the Stones material. Their Satanic Majestys Request has some weak songs. I've always disliked the lyrics of You Got Me Rocking, especially the studid chorus, but the music to the song is good. The pounding music to the song works well live if you just ignore what Jagger is singing. That's why this song is somewhat of a crowd favorite in concert.

My 2 favorite Stones albums, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers, each feature a song I don't like: Country Honk and You Gotta Move. While I feel these songs are the weak moments on otherwise perfect albums, at least they are more aunthentically rootsy sounding songs and are not contrived like the other songs I mentioned above.

Posted by: solmask ()
Date: September 15, 2006 02:32

hot stuff

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 15, 2006 03:16

Despised would be too harsh but I think their first single Come On was pretty lame and Sweet Neo Con. And the Oldham Popfodder included on Metamorphosis (but those songs weren't really a group effort). Besides that I consider everything else they've recorder very enjoyable listening material.

Posted by: SonicBBQ ()
Date: September 15, 2006 07:27

solmask Wrote:
> hot stuff

I used to hate hot stuff as much as fool to cry and miss you but its grown on me now and i love that funky groove in it...a real classic tune

Rob,
Sittin' in a bar tipplin' a jar in Jackson...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 15, 2006 09:17

I have heard songs that are way worse than the suckiest Stones you'll find. To this day, I still say that Crazy Town's "Butterfly" is the worst song I ever heard. There's also lots of other stuff that outsucks even Back To Zero and the dreadful, and in my opinion worst, Stones song Emotional Rescue. Off my back, I can think of I'm A Slave 4 U by Britney Spears, ANYTHING by Danish rap/pop group Nik & Jay, the song with the Salvador Dali elephants video by Linkin Park, It's Getting Hot In Here by Nelly and I could go on forever. But nothing beats Crazy Town.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 15, 2006 09:56

Yeah gazza, I know about "Hold Back"s vocals. For years, even before the advent of the Net it was laways my leats fave of all Stones. The virtula ANTI-melody of the singing is almost awesome to behold LOL. Jagger's growling is comical. And the lyrics alone on paper are awful; laughable. the part sabout Stalin and Roosevelt...they both took their chances ??? I hate it when singers over-scream/growl. The guy from Foo Fighters (Grohl) actually is a decne t singer but he ruins every song of theirs by screaming.
My point was though that I just decided the guitars are strong enough to counter the bad parts. That is one of those pastiche songs that was added at the last minute. wasn't one of Keith's tunes actually on the list until the last minute? I can not think of the title. But Ivan neville is on bass and IMO that might not even be Charlie on drums.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 15, 2006 09:58

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> Arrrrggghhh...
>
> How could the band that came up with "Gimme
> Shelter," "No Expectations," "Sweet Black Angel"
> and a milllion other classics release:
>
> "Rock And A Hard Place"
> "Back To Zero"
> "I Go Wild"
> "Highwire"
> "Can't Be Seen"
> "Look What The Cat Dragged In"
> "Sweet NeoCon"
> "Dangerous Beauty"

Back To Zero, Can't Be Seen we can agree on. The rest rocks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 15:54

Ok, there ARE some stones songs that do leave me shaking my head, but I wouldn't say I despise them. This would include Might as well Get Juiced, Gunface, Sexdrive, and So Young added to Voodoo Lounge's CD, making a perfect album then imperfect in my opinion. Now there's been a lot of dissing of songs on this here album that gave me my namesake and used to be my very favorite stones album until ABB came out, which blows my mind, but as someone said, to each their own. Just as most people leave to use the restrooms during Keef's songs and I remain standing pissing off those around me who have sat down, we all enjoy different things, and I've read constantly on here that people are done seeing the large stadium shows and want only intimate venues with the boys. I myself - just to show how people can differ - will probably never go see the boys indoors again unless its at the Garden where they always put on a helluva show. I love the full effect of the monstrous stage and the props and fireworks and flames and whatnot. To me, that IS the Rolling Stones, and when you try to explain to someone what makes them not only the world's greatest rock-n-roll band, but also what makes this the greatest show on earth, to me its not the inside shows that always extremely stuffy and hot and seem to tax the boys, it's the outside stadium shows with the Red lights and flames for Sympathy and Mick dancing on top of it all, it's the giant props, the B-stage moving out, or the Bridge extending for the BTB tour, and of course Mick running from one extension to another nonstop and seemingly not even winded. THAT is the spectacle that makes them awe-inspiring and each night a memorable experience never to be forgotten. Rock On, boys!! I'll see ya opening night in Boston (yet again!) They've yet to play Sway in Boston on this tour - perhaps this will FINALLY be my chance to catch it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2006 16:58

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I have heard songs that are way worse than the
> suckiest Stones you'll find.

naturally. Thats why we're here, eh? The amount of Stones songs that I find truly unlistenable could possibly be counted on one hand. Two at the most. Thats not bad out of a catalogue of 350 songs.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: September 15, 2006 17:30

short and curlies
gotta get away
hold on to your het
surprise surprise

Why the antipathy towards Rockand a Hard Place? I saw Bill Wymans last gig, Wembley 90, RAAHP was one of the highlights (of a bloody great show!)

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: September 15, 2006 17:39

'We Want Stones' is pretty lame but still better then Back to Zero!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 15, 2006 17:40

You Cant Allways Get What You Want,Miss You,Start Me Up, Midnight Rambler,Pain In My Heart.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 15, 2006 17:59

Damn it! WHat the hell Am I reading here???? Their first bad songs are from Dirty Work (nothing I really despise, just boring and pointless), but, Rock and a hard place, theres one. This place is empty (Keith being the grandfather with the big warm heart , yak), and...Sweet neo con along with some of their 90s power rock songs. But No1 is of course Highwire. Makes me wanna throw up.

Date: September 15, 2006 19:04

OK and you people've been giving me shit for my selections of Angie, Beast of Burden, Shattered, and Midnight Rambler live???

Whiskey, whatsup with these?? For me, YGAGWYW has been one of the highlights of the current tour! I love hearing (having never heard it prior to this tour) and every time it gets to long crowd participation part, and you hear thousands of people singing the chorus, I get goosebumps down my spine! Every time! MR -I agree, but SMU?? I also like Pain in My Heart...

You know there are some others that leave me shaking my head as well, and I'm hesitant to bring em up cuz they're Keef songs and generally I love his songs (especially the 2 on ABB - can't believe anyone has fault with those), but the Nearness of You and the 3 on BTB...all those leave me guessing what was he thinking. Usually his songs since I don't know when have been some of the highlights of the albums, but those 4 plus the omission on BTB of Anyway You Look At It left me scraching my head.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 15, 2006 19:40

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> OK and you people've been giving me shit for my
> selections of Angie, Beast of Burden, Shattered,
> and Midnight Rambler live???

But you see, it's IMPOSSIBLE to understand how a person who like Stones, can dislike Midnight Rambler. That's why some people give you..."shit".

> but those 4 plus the omission on
> BTB of Anyway You Look At It left me scraching my
> head.

Any Way You Look At It is one of the few songs I can't stand.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 15, 2006 20:02

yeah - what exactly is it about MR that you don't like? The crunching guitars? The frenetic/mesmerizing tempo? The amazing harp work? The dark and foreboding lyrics and imagery? The drama? All the above?

Date: September 15, 2006 20:13

I think it's all of it together...the lyrics, the tempo, the music and sound of it, and of course the fact that it goes on forever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-15 20:17 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 15, 2006 21:57

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Arrrrggghhh...
> >
> > How could the band that came up with "Gimme
> > Shelter," "No Expectations," "Sweet Black
> Angel"
> > and a milllion other classics release:
> >
> > "Rock And A Hard Place"
> > "Back To Zero"
> > "I Go Wild"
> > "Highwire"
> > "Can't Be Seen"
> > "Look What The Cat Dragged In"
> > "Sweet NeoCon"
> > "Dangerous Beauty"
>
>
> Back To Zero, Can't Be Seen we can agree on. The
> rest rocks.

Huh?

Jagger must write the lamest politcal lyrics EVER. The stretching of the syllables in "Chris-ti-an" in "Sweet Neo Con" or the rhyme "patriot/piece of shit" are enough to actually damage my overall experience of the album--the same way I feel about "Rock And A Hard Place" and "Can't Be Seen" on the otherwise strong "Steel Wheels." (Did kinda like the Little Walter-esque harp on "Neo Con," though--reminds me that he hasn't been playing enough on the album or the tour).

For me, the term "rocks" is accurate and pretty much sums up the problems with my list. Jagger is so used to experiencing and "doing" the Rolling Stones as the centerpiece of an arena or stadium-sized entertainment spectacle, that his latter-day writing seems geared to meatheaded arena "Rawk." Witness "You Got Me Rockin" or the hideous, unforgivable attempted anthem "I Go Wild." Designed expressly for beer-swilling idiots in large crowds.

I hate that Jagger thinks the Stones are a vehicle for fist-thrusting idiocy. Imagine if they were coming up with stuff with real suppleness and swing--like "Let It Bleed" or their covers of "Little Baby" or "You Can't Catch Me."

I know, I know. Just my opinion.

"Back Of My Hand" is one of the best things they've ever done. And "Let Me Down Slow" and "Rough Justice" are pretty damn fine. So all is not lost...

Date: September 15, 2006 22:09

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Yeah gazza, I know about "Hold Back"s vocals. For
> years, even before the advent of the Net it was
> laways my leats fave of all Stones. The virtula
> ANTI-melody of the singing is almost awesome to
> behold LOL. Jagger's growling is comical. And the
> lyrics alone on paper are awful; laughable.

You must be crazy.I agree that it's overall a bad song musically (not their worst in my opinion) with bad singing but,the lyrics are some of the best they have ever written.
"Hear the voice of experience,a word from the wise / Grab opportunity while you're alive." ~ 'Cause if you follow the crowd ...." ~ "Trust your gut reaction / If you don't take chances,you won't make advances."
All of this is as true as it gets.They can't sing about the ladies and they can't sing about events in history either?What can they sing about?Four legged pigs and a talking heart in a jar?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:10

I agree completely Rev. I Go Wild and You Got Me Rocking have always been dire in my opinion - just designed to be played in stadiums.

Date: September 15, 2006 22:17

I agree that one of the two is dire - the one with all of the hey,hey's.The other one,designed to be played in a stadium or not,is a personal favorite.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:18

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
or the
> hideous, unforgivable attempted anthem "I Go
> Wild." Designed expressly for beer-swilling idiots
> in large crowds.
>
>

Hey! No reason to get personal!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:25

Don't hate or despise anything by the Stones,but I do not really like Miss You never have taken to it, that said I still bought the 12'' pink version and have it on several cds and dvds ect I suppose thats what it's like being a true long term fan

Date: September 15, 2006 22:28

Not liking all this Voodoo angst in the air...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home