Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anyone cancelling a stones concert b/c of London plot?
Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 12, 2006 00:56

Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Winter - Any other left-wing, tin-foil hat,
> defeatest, moonbat conspiracy theories you'd like
> to share with us?
>
> The US/UK presence in the middle east is not the
> basis of al-queda's motives. Remember, we weren't
> in Iraq or Afganistan when they flew planes into
> the WTC and Pentagon on September 11.

goldsmith, i promise i'll be gentle: the stated aim of al-queda 911 was to remove the western presence from "the holy place", saudi arabia. bin laden and 15 of the 19 911-ers were from saudi arabia, where the US had military bases. just days before w's "mission accomplished" aircraft carrier speech, we did exactly that; -we removed our bases there. (and obviously, the 3.5 year US/UK iraq presence and destruction of 100,000 iraqis has given al-queda thousands of new jihadist recruits.)

there is nothing moonbatty or defeatist about my post. terrorism has thrived under bush/blair, and they both bolster their sagging approval ratings with these terror alerts time after time. they 'play' the willing media, and by extension the fearing public, like a well rehearsed orchestra.

i sure as hell wouldn't let this stop me from seeing Stones' shows! and what terrorist would want to have their plot under extra scrutiny like a red alert?

as for the tinfoil "rightwing politization of this event against the left"?-

by Olivier Knox Thu Aug 10, 2:53 PM ET
CRAWFORD, United States (AFP) - US
President George W. Bush seized on a foiled London airline bomb plot to hammer unnamed critics he accused of having all but forgotten the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. His remarks came a day after the White House orchestrated an exceptionally aggressive campaign to tar opposition Democrats as weak on terrorism, knowing what Democrats didn't: News of the plot could soon break.

But a senior White House official said that the British government had not launched its raid until well after Cheney held a highly unusual conference call with reporters to attack the Democrats as weak against terrorism.

Bush's Republicans hoped the raid would yield political gains."Weeks before September 11th, this is going to play big," said another White House official, who also spoke on condition of not being named, adding that some Democratic candidates won't "look as appealing" under the circumstances."

-end excerpt-

don't worry, i'm going back to the music threads. LOL!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: August 12, 2006 02:19

MicksBrain Wrote:
> OK, you guys and gals buy into it all you want.
> We need more BRAINIAC thinking here....

So, you think it's a waste of time to have security people conducting searches of people's personal effects, simply because they don't find anything.

Might I assume, then, that BRAINIAC thinking would indicate that all we have to do is stop doing these waste-of-time security searches at the airport, and instead infiltrate groups, and all of our airline sabotage problems are solved? (Never mind that what the British did legally via their MI5 agency is conduct domestic spying, which is specifically prohibited in the U.S. by the legislation that governs the CIA and the National Security Agency)

Yeah, that's the ticket. Real BRAINIAC thinking is going on there, MicksBrain.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: August 12, 2006 02:57

ALL airline CARGO (no, not checked in bags - CARGO) that every wide boby civilian jet (747/757/767/777/787/+ Airbus) carries EVERYDAY on EVERY FLIGHT gets NO INSPECTION WHAT SO EVER - LIKE IN ZERO INSPECTION. On top of that ALL SHOE INSPECTIONS have been done AFTER Richrd Reed tried to light his explosive filled shoes in very Late 2001 - Guess what,NOTHING has EVER been found. Security is ALWAYS one step behind, maybe two, ALWAYS behind the ball. RE-active, not PRO-active. Yeah, we need more THINKING, less EMOTIONAL responses. The solution is thinking thru things and using brains and logic to solve problems. Right now we're using the "STUPID METHOD" for security - that's the main problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-12 03:15 by MicksBrain.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 12, 2006 05:08

The only thing that would worry me,
while I'm in a que for a flight would be hearing some one say "yea, my nick on the web is M.B."

Is cheaper to fly by cargo?^^

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2006 06:40

No luggage and all passengers naked during the flight...that'll fix everything!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 12, 2006 07:47

i just got back to the US from Nice via England. one flight to london was cancelled but i flew to liverpool and took a taxi to manchester - had a 7 hour delay but am home now. i seriously thought about using this as an excuse to find a way to porto...had a great 2 weeks and 5 shows (paris through nice).

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 12, 2006 12:49

Rockman Wrote:
> No luggage and all passengers naked during the
> flight...that'll fix everything!!

Could be exciting...

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:03

Rockman Wrote:
> No luggage and all passengers naked during the
> flight...that'll fix everything!!

I've been watching the @#$%& Blues DVD lately. It seemed like they had these restrictions back in the seventies too? Lotta love & peace...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2006 14:51

sluissie Wrote:
> Rockman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No luggage and all passengers naked during the
> > flight...that'll fix everything!!
>
>
> I've been watching the @#$%& Blues DVD
> lately. It seemed like they had these restrictions
> back in the seventies too? Lotta love & peace...

Yeah, they did research one potential terrorist very carefully, from everywhere...

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 12, 2006 15:01

Doxa Wrote:
> Yeah, they did research one potential terrorist
> very carefully, from everywhere...
>

usually its the sniffer dogs who get that job!!

Date: August 12, 2006 15:11

....You know, now that I've thought about it a little longer, I have no idea what I was talking about in my past comments (that must have been the Whiskey talkin' - lol). I gotta say, taking away new, sealed duty free bottles of Channel # 5 from Forty something year old women, Denture creme from old geezers, and iPods from teenage hip hop fans is going to put an end to all this horrible terrorism once and for all - the authorities have it right (and who am I to question their amazing brilliance?). THAT'S IT! That's the solution - problem solved....NEXT....

Posted by: bettystones ()
Date: August 12, 2006 15:18

Terrorism isn't anything new to us British. Before Al-Queda it was the IRA. There really is no difference between them. We just get on with life as if nothing was any different and put up with any inconvenience. I suggest everyone else does the same.

Date: August 12, 2006 16:45

Correct, Betty.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 12, 2006 16:53

...and keep a stiff upper lip

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 12, 2006 19:48

bettystones Wrote:
> Terrorism isn't anything new to us British.
> Before Al-Queda it was the IRA. There really is
> no difference between them. We just get on with
> life as if nothing was any different and put up
> with any inconvenience. I suggest everyone else
> does the same.

bettystones, well put; actually, quite a large number of countries have been putting up with this for decades as well. over here in the states however, the fear campaign rules the corporate media and tv and newspapers, and outshouts the more logical, practical concerns. fearmongering is how our gov't keeps the sheep huddled after 911, and people are discouraged from just accepting the possibility and going on with their lives. it's cynical manipulation and it's sick; we certainly should be taking cues from the europeans and middle east citizenry in this regard as bettystones and gazza and others have pointed out.

if they were really afraid that ANY of the confiscated items were potential explosives, bomb squads and folks in hazmat suits would be poring over every item, and every item would be tied to particular passengers to make a post-confiscation arrest.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 12, 2006 20:07

Back in the USA, we were thinking of flying to L'ville, but decided to drive based more (100% in fact) because of ticket prices. That said, the a-hole terrorists are ruining our world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-12 20:08 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: August 12, 2006 20:21

little queenie Wrote:
> i just got back to the US from Nice via England.
> one flight to london was cancelled but i flew to
> liverpool and took a taxi to manchester - had a 7
> hour delay but am home now. i seriously thought
> about using this as an excuse to find a way to
> porto...had a great 2 weeks and 5 shows (paris
> through nice).

why you didn't so ? the message was CLEAR !!!!!!!!!

LOL smiling smiley

and about the thread -just fly and see the Stones -> what else you want to do!? Watch the tele and think "I wish I was in London/Glasgow/Sheffield/Cardiff!?" it's simple as that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-12 20:26 by PiotrRSpl.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 12, 2006 20:23

You know what folks

I flew to New York a week after the Rockaway beach diasaster in Queens that was two months after 9/11. I am English and occasionally not proud of it but I will not let some yellow bellied little shits get in the way of my enjoyment of the world and its wonders.

So for all those who are thinking of staying at home well condraulations you've let the yellow bellied little shits win. You might as well go kill youself now coz beleive me brothers and sisters it ain't over and it's gonna get a whole worse.

Love to you all and enjoy the Stones in Europe this summer.

NickB

Date: August 12, 2006 22:15

damn right, Nick. After 9/11 I actually made a point of going to NY to see the Stones the next time they played there. F**k 'em. They're not going to ruin everything.

Date: August 13, 2006 00:20

Despite Mick's please, Ronnie's threatened suicide, and Keith's majestic indifference, I have been forced to cancel my gigs' opening for The Stones on the rest of this tour. If I can't travel with my hair gel I will not be able to tolerate the FIRST seating area of any British Airways flight. The hair gel is the only thing I can use to w*nk with and w*nking is the only way to get through a long haul flight. I'm sorry, guys.....

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 13, 2006 00:35

If the security ask me to take my clouds, I will do it. It doesn`t matter, the only thing that matters is that I arrive England. But I will get a little pissed if they deny me to take with some snus ( weat tobac that you put under your overlip.

Date: August 13, 2006 01:48

bettystones Wrote:
> Terrorism isn't anything new to us British.
> Before Al-Queda it was the IRA. There really is
> no difference between them. We just get on with
> life as if nothing was any different and put up
> with any inconvenience. .

....Ah, Yeah, that's why the Tube was half empty during peak hours for days after the attack....leave the macho attitude to the Cowboys, eh? Fear is a normal reaction and nothing to try and hide.....

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:51

MicksBrain Wrote:
> ALL airline CARGO (no, not checked in bags -
> CARGO) that every wide boby civilian jet
> (747/757/767/777/787/+ Airbus) carries EVERYDAY on
> EVERY FLIGHT gets NO INSPECTION WHAT SO EVER -
> LIKE IN ZERO INSPECTION. On top of that ALL SHOE
> INSPECTIONS have been done AFTER Richrd Reed tried
> to light his explosive filled shoes in very Late
> 2001 - Guess what,NOTHING has EVER been found.
> Security is ALWAYS one step behind, maybe two,
> ALWAYS behind the ball. RE-active, not PRO-active.
> Yeah, we need more THINKING, less EMOTIONAL
> responses. The solution is thinking thru things
> and using brains and logic to solve problems.
> Right now we're using the "STUPID METHOD" for
> security - that's the main problem.

I see it coming. Someone will hide something in the stitching of their clothing. We'll all fly nude from now on!!!!!!!!! The shoe thing is so f-ing ridiculous. Makes security look like fools.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:57

I'm always angry when security-people look through all my stuff...but that's just my problem, if we all had to fly naked, then so be it. Just don't let us explode.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 13, 2006 02:01

Naked ??? even then it's not secure, you can swallow anything you like.

Date: August 13, 2006 02:07

JJ Flash, there's alot more then just shoes that makes security look like fools. In the states there was a 4 month baby they wouldn't let on board cause his name was on a "No Fly" list....The VERY recognizable, famous Senator Ted Kennedy (brother of JFK and RFK) was blocked from boarding the "Washington D.C. to Boston Air Shuttle" 5 times because there was an EDWARD KENNEDY on the "No Fly List". These guys make idiots look like brainiacs !!! As scary as the terrorists....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 13, 2006 02:16

NICOS Wrote:
> Naked ??? even then it's not secure, you can
> swallow anything you like.

That was pretty pervert, Nico.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: August 13, 2006 02:16

MicksBrain Wrote:
> The
> VERY recognizable, famous Senator Ted Kennedy
> (brother of JFK and RFK) was blocked from boarding
> the "Washington D.C. to Boston Air Shuttle" 5
> times because there was an EDWARD KENNEDY on the
> "No Fly List".

Seems to me that security was doing the passengers a favor. After all, in the unlikely event of a water landing, we all know Sen. Kennedy has a track record of not bothering to save his fellow drowning passengers.

;-)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home