Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Undercover of the night
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:25

I listened to it the other day for the first time since about 75BC and concluded yet again what I've always thought about this song; namely that it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Re: Undercover of the night
Date: June 27, 2006 00:39

wanna hold you, all the way down and she was hot are awesome. for club sounding tunes too much blood and undercover of the night are great too.

Date: June 27, 2006 01:22

<<< for club sounding tunes too much blood and undercover of the night are great too >>>

You really think so ? Well, it would be a thoroughly boring world if we all thought alike I guess. Those two songs in particular are probably the very 2 worst Stones songs ever in my opinion, I just can't get anything out of them at all !

Date: June 27, 2006 02:41

i said for club sounding dance like 80's tunes. for rock songs they suck donkey nuts.

Date: June 27, 2006 02:45

Undercover Of The Night is great.Like Let It Bleed,this album and this song in particular should be played loud.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 27, 2006 03:00

Undercover is their worst studio album.. yes it is even weaker than Dirty work imho

Date: June 27, 2006 03:04

Bashlets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Undercover is their worst studio album.. yes it is
> even weaker than Dirty work imho

I'd go with that. I really just never did get anything out of the title track itself though, absolutely nothing at all. For me personally, one of their most forgettable efforts.

Date: June 27, 2006 03:06

No way.

Date: June 27, 2006 03:15

One of their weakest albums but I do like Undercover - the song. It had a cool video which gots some good press way back when. It was as if the Stones still mattered in a 1980s oversaturated world.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 27, 2006 03:17

It is what Mick intended (whatever that is!). It is surely not rock and roll. To me it is a very commercial, video driven song, way over produced. BUT very creative with some very unStoneslike changes in it.

I did just listen to Undercover all the way through from start to finish on the weekend. I loved it. It is a great album, musically creative (forget the production sound), the band was playing great. An awesome variety of styles.

One of their most underrated and the last good Stone's album with a great contribution by Ronnie IMO.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 27, 2006 03:23

the title track is not my favorite on the ablum, but I do like it. It does have redeeming qualities IMHO.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 27, 2006 03:25

in the book according to the rolling stones, Ronnie talks about an accutstic version of undercover of the night, that Id like to hear.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 05:46

I love "Undercover" live.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 27, 2006 05:48

I really like the Undercover album, it rocks.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 27, 2006 06:44

undercover is one of my fav albums
the only song i dont like much is to much blood
i think the album is way way way way better than dirty work

my fav song on the album is all the way down

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 27, 2006 06:59

the album's great, as is the title track.

i just can't stay still during Undercover of the Night!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:25

You're right Nikki, it's a mean cool song.
The 12" mix is even better. They don't do mixes like that anymore. Much rawer guitar-riffs.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:49

I really enjoyed hearing Undercover Of The Night live in 2002.
UC is one of my favourite albums. The guitars, the rhythms, the lyrics (well, some of them), Jagger's singing...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 27, 2006 09:39

Undercover Of The Night is no classic but it certainly has some redeeming qualities. It's quite good but not great. It's certainly a damn sight better than what's come since.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 27, 2006 10:46

Undercover is on of my favourite albums, and I love the song Undercover. It the last album whit the real Stones vengeance, it's the last raw, dangerous album they ever made. It's the last album of the Stones as a band, when they still were important. Jagger is singing his ass off on this album, and there's even some decent lyrics. I love Undercover (Wood's last great contribution), She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Too Much Blood, the great Pretty Beat Up (listen to the bass!) and the fabulous It Must Be Hell. The only problem with the album is the 80's style production, but I do not have a problem listening beyond that.

Mathijs

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 12:21

the solo on too tough is just ripping...must be hell has a nice retro soul survivor riff...she's was hot is a great rocker...undercover with jagger's lyrics and guitar playing...people chasing people around with chainsaws in Texas...clear out your ears and listen to this album...

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: June 27, 2006 12:58

The quality on most of the songs are much better than those on Dirty Work, apart from One Hit and Harlem Shuffle. Undercover Of The Night from Atlantic City 1989 is better than the original, and proves that this can be a killer live number. They haven't played it, or Jagger definitively hasn't sung it the same way, as good and raw, since the 1989 tour, as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 27, 2006 13:18

No need to compare, Undercover is simply great!

I find that the production is also great. And it still works. There is, of course, lots of shitty electronics, but used with great taste. Above all, the guitars are under the spotlight. Do you have an idea of what it could have been? Need a copy of VH 1984?

Note also the great and original use of percussions. Groove, is this disc's second name!

I also love the idea of not having ballads on the disc (that is after Tattoo with one full side of ballads)

C

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 27, 2006 13:57

I went to see the Who live years ago and they played Undercover before the band went on and it rocked.......screaming loud over the PA! Top record....

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: June 27, 2006 14:15

For me both the album and the title track are great! They sound very fresh and harsh, in a way "danerous and wicked", and maybe for the last time "modern" and up the times! (i think it is much more modern than for example "Tattoo you"). Undercover of the night is a great Stones song and my absolute fav on it! I love other songs too - She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Too Tough, Feel on baby, and It Must Be Hell! To 2 songs i didnĀ“t grow warm - Too Much Blood and Pretty Beat Up. But in conclusion: great album, great song!

Date: June 27, 2006 16:39

Hmmmmmmm, I shall perhaps I have to re-excavate the burial site, dig it out, and give it another listen !!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 27, 2006 16:59

paulywaul Wrote:
> Hmmmmmmm, I shall perhaps I have to re-excavate
> the burial site, dig it out, and give it another
> listen !!

Just do it, but rememember: blast it at max volume & dance for total appreciation!

C

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 27, 2006 19:33

Oh!!!That song is so strong!!And the lyrics are so true!!!And the beat makes me dance...to good to be true this song.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 27, 2006 20:32

paulywaul Wrote:
> Bashlets Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Undercover is their worst studio album.. yes it
> is
> > even weaker than Dirty work imho
>
> I'd go with that. I really just never did get
> anything out of the title track itself though,
> absolutely nothing at all. For me personally, one
> of their most forgettable efforts.

Fully agree with that. Nothing happened in between Tatoo and Steel Wheels. They had such a low profile. A redundant music without any creativity. Appalling years. Every Stone was more interested in his own album. Alchimy was gone during that period. Incessant rivalvry between Mick and Keith. Blues roots were sacrified to temporal mood and atmosphere. Cover that Dirty Work. Even the video clip were rubbish. Undercover is miles away from Sweet Neo-Con.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 20:47

Undercover is the first Stones album I listened to, right after I got into them from Start Me Up.

I can't pretend it's their best - it's patchy like most of them - but it can be great to listen to in the car and it's miles better than the Stones' absolute nadir, the appalling Dirty Work which is - I'm sorry to say - almost unlistenable.

A bit like Bridges To Babylon actually - thank God for A Bigger Bang!!! :-)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home